<944> Control Arm Bushings.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 02:52 PM
neildeshpande
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default <944> Control Arm Bushings.

Gruppe:

I have some front and rear front control arm bushings on the way to fix a looseness in the front.

I got the 968 ones for the rear mounts (don't know if they'll fit, but the vendor has agreed to take them back if they don't) and the Weltmeister urethanes for the front. I'll be putting these in next week and also cleaning off all bolts, etc., before I take the car in for alignment.

Any comments are appreciated.

Neil Deshpande
87 944 NA 5-sp
Old 12-14-2003, 10:13 PM
N_Halbert
Rennlist Member

Hi Neil,
The 87 na uses the cast aluminum control arms so the 968 caster block is the correct choice. If you are going to track the car you may want to upgrade the eccentric bolt/adjuster at the same time. They came out with an updated one.
Don't forget to replace the pinch bolt with a new one. They are to be replaced every time they are replaced.

Once you remove the front rubber bushing you may not notice that there is a metal sleeve around it that you may have to cut out of the aluminum control arm. This was just metioned in the mail list. You will need to use a saw to carefully cut through the sleeve and not the arm. Then press or otherwise persuade them out. Then the new ones will drop in.

Good luck
Neil
90 S2
Old 12-15-2003, 12:10 AM
neildeshpande
6th Gear

Neil:

Thanks! What is the advantage of upgrading the eccentric bolt? I'll stop by the dealer and get one during the week along with the pinch bolts.

Neil Deshpande
87 944 NA 5-sp
Old 12-15-2003, 10:10 AM
N_Halbert
Rennlist Member

To be honest, I'm not sure. It is recommended as part of the service bulletin for upgrading to 17/18 inch wheels. Part of it is that it has a tab on it to make it easier to adjust and might have a slightly longer threaded section for better engagement.

I use my car for DEs and AutoX so prefer to err on the side of caution. So, if Porsche changed it or recommends it then lets do it. I also replaced all nuts and bolts while was at it. Cheap insurance.

Neil
90 S2
Old 12-15-2003, 10:40 PM
neildeshpande
6th Gear

Neil:

Very well! I will drop by the dealership this week to get the parts. I checked out my PET and it lists the same P/N for 944 and 968 till 1995 so there is either a superceded part or something dated after 1995.

The one thing I was hoping for was something to improve thread lock. My nut appears to have backed off somewhat though it is possible the tech who worked on it in the PO's ownership did not install it correctly. Was a PorscheFans recommended tech though. This time I am doing it myself so I'll be sure to use new bolts, Loctite, etc.

Neil Deshpande
87 944 NA 5-sp
Old 12-16-2003, 05:57 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by N_Halbert
Hi Neil,
The 87 na uses the cast aluminum control arms so the 968 caster block is the correct choice. If you are going to track the car you may want to upgrade the eccentric bolt/adjuster at the same time. They came out with an updated one.
Don't forget to replace the pinch bolt with a new one. They are to be replaced every time they are replaced.

Once you remove the front rubber bushing you may not notice that there is a metal sleeve around it that you may have to cut out of the aluminum control arm. This was just metioned in the mail list. You will need to use a saw to carefully cut through the sleeve and not the arm. Then press or otherwise persuade them out. Then the new ones will drop in.

Good luck
Neil
90 S2
I was the fortunate one on the list who worked on this last weekend. I can add, when cutting out the steel sleeve out of the cast aluminum arm, it works best if you cut it in two places, opposite each other. Then the two halves just basically fall out.

Email me if you have questions, I'll be happy to help!

Tifo

Quick Reply: <944> Control Arm Bushings.