Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tony @ EPL
Old 05-07-2013, 02:12 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
I have reached out to the Moderators and have provided them with emails. They instructed that I don’t post the emails.

In this world there are people that ask for favors and discounts. I liken it to this story. They go to a steak house and order a steak. Three quarters thru the meal they tell the waitress, they want a refund because it wasn’t rare enough. The manager comes over and tells them that they will cook another one for him. They accept and eat that one too. Then they “attempt” to do a chargeback on the credit card.!!!

Mr Berger (bmwtmx) wrote in his post “I could literally not tell the difference between stock and tuned with UMW”

My reply is the opposite. I have a follow up email telling me that car feel GREAT, and definitely an improvement than before.. He states that he is seeing 1.2 BAR!!!

I received an email later telling of a CEL. I instructed Mr Berger to check his O2’s and his exhaust. I told him that I made the changes to correct his CEL.

Four months later I receive a email from Mt Berger, stating that he had taken his car into a shop and that they “replaced his exhaust” He stated that SHOP went into the ECU and removed my TUNING file and replaced it with another file (mystery Tune)?)

On January 14th he requests that I respectfully(his words)send him my slave programming module to replace the tune on his ECU. He inquired about turbochargers and I quoted him pricing. I offered to help and sent the programming module to him.

Upon receipt he alerts me that the programming unit is showing error codes. I tell him that he has two option since the TUNE in his ECU has a NO READ tag or non verified VIN.. Send me his ECU, or go to a Porsche dealer and reflash the ECU to stock. He replied and told me that he would send me his ECU..

Fast forward a few months, I ask Mr Berger to send me back my slave programming unit. He replies and tells me that he will return the unit ($895.00 value).. He then emails me that he wants a refund.. I told him No.. He has since attempted a credit card chargeback.. Interesting enough I haven’t received my programming module.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:06 AM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Kevin is a liar and I know if someone like me makes a negative post on a forum they come across as crazy...

Long story short: I ordered a tune from him with instructions to turn off the rear O2 sensors because I was running a stock exhaust with the cats removed and the CEL was on. Very simple. He agreed and I paid him. Well, he never turned off the rear O2 sensors. The CEL stayed on yet he insisted that he did turn them off. He told me I needed new O2 sensors because my shop that did the exhaust work ruined them. Then he told me I needed new lifters which means an engine rebuild. Then he told me I needed to take my car to a Porsche dealer and have them reset the computer to stock, have them remove the ECU and send it to Kevin for evaluation. These things cost thousands of dollars.

In the end, my shop installed a simple tune that ignored the rear O2 sensors and the problem was gone. Kevin went into a fit that they stole his code. He is a total moron and a liar. I filed suit against him for the 5 weeks my car spent in various shops undergoing diagnostic tests that were totally unnecessary. If you use him good luck. He does not write his own code. He is a 1 man shop with no race or track experience whatsoever. I used him because he is so highly regarded on the forum but in the tuner community he is a joke which I only found out after the fact.

Why he refused (and has continued to refuse) to refund my money is beyond me. As for his tool, I sent it back so that is another lie. I am not some crazy guy ranting about some miscommunication that went bad. I have literally dozens of emails all asking over and over and over "did you turn off the rear O2 sensors" and every answer from him is "yes."

Regardless, good luck with him. I just hope you don't have a problem with him. He will ramble on for hours but that doesn't make him honest or good. When I win my suit I will make a post as the court will be the judge in this case.

Steven
Old 05-07-2013, 10:26 AM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Just as an aside as to my experience and knowledge with cars which some people are obviously and rightfully suspect of. I raced a BMW E30 M3 in various clubs from 1999-2006 winning my class several times. I worked hand in hand with various BMW race shops and built and sorted out my car throughout the seasons. At that time I think I was pretty highly regarded as a mechanic and racer.

I got out of racing and instructed HPDE for many clubs up north down south and ran a 2006 Lotus Exige and a 2009 Lotus Exige S260. Again, I maintained and tuned these cars alone or at a shop with the right qualifications. Again, I believe my driving, instructing, and mechanical abilities speak for themselves.

I had various other cars that I tracked as well but last year I purchased my 996 turbo. I installed a KW V3 suspension with various other suspension parts and tweaks and some brake work as well. I am a racer at heart and believe power is the least important thing so it always comes last. My experience with Kevin has been a misery. I have been in the racing community for over 14 years and I have NEVER posted anything negative about anyone. I have never sued anyone. I have never been unable to work out my differences with anyone EXCEPT Kevin.

I stand by the fact that he is a liar. My first order on day 1 was to turn off the rear O2 sensors. End of story. I tried to work with him thereafter to get some restitution for the wasted money I spent but he just refused and has continued to refuse that he lied. I spent an additional $3,500 chasing the CEL which he never turned off. That is the source of this problem. Nothing else. So if I am nuts, ask him why he didn't turn it off and why he insisted that he did?

The judge will be the courts. I am only venting on this forum because nobody else should have to go through what I did.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:47 AM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Just one clarification on this issue before I am done as I believe I have made my point. Kevin actually did admit that he didn't turn off the O2 sensors after my shop proved it. However, he lectured me for over an hour on how it is illegal to do and that I could go to jail in 5 or 10 years as I could get caught. But why he accepted the job in the first place, said he did it and stood by that fact until his lies were proven are beyond me. Again, if turning off the rear O2 sensors was/is illegal he should have refused the job. If he took the job and didn't do it because it was illegal he should have said so. Not send me out chasing a ghost for 4 months.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:07 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

I am in receipt of emails between the two parties which appear to validate Kevin's position. Said emails have been archived. This thread is going to the abyss where it will be impossible for anyone involved to edit.

Regards,

Quick Reply: ECU Tunes, Software & Chip Questions