Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   DIY - 928 (https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-928-134/)
-   -   HVAC COMPRESSOR RELAY REPAIR PROCEDURE w/PICS (https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-928/678815-hvac-compressor-relay-repair-procedure-w-pics.html)

Bilal928S4 09-16-2011 10:40 PM

Alan,
Thank you for the write up. I will be doing this soon and post the results. I have a couple of more questions.
Where do i get the female pins that goes into the CE?
Would a 53 relay work?
Are the points marked on the back of the CE panel?
Thanks
Bilal

Lorenfb 09-17-2011 01:48 PM

"it seems like a potential repair would be to drill a hole through the extension piece on #4 where the plastic pin was and insert and glue in a stronger (than plastic) metal pin. Not remembering exactly what it looks like, though, I'm not 100% sure that's doable."

That's it! Rebuilt many (too many to remember) that way.

Bilal928S4 09-18-2011 07:54 PM

Alan,
Thank you for the write up. I will be doing this soon and post the results. I have a couple of more questions.
Would a 53 relay work?
Thanks
Bilal
Bump

Bilal928S4 09-20-2011 01:17 AM

Anybody has the female clips that go into the CE for the relay?
Bilal

Alan 09-20-2011 11:28 AM

'53 or generic Bosch style SPDT relays will both work. Genuine Bosch or Tyco.

Everything is marked on the front of the panel. send me a PM w/ email and I'll send you some more details on the relays. You can get the stock large relay terminals from Eagle Day or Vehicle Wiring Products (UK) - I got a lot from VWP(UK). I belive Roger (ROG100) also sells them individually. You can also use Ford standard terminals - though they are not such high quality.

There are some techniques that are usefiul to know for removing relay sockets & terminals.

Alan

Originally Posted by Bilal928S4 (Post 8875176)
Alan,
Would a 53 relay work?
Thanks
Bilal

fraggle 01-24-2012 08:01 PM

My relay is DOA! time for some solder work. Thanks for the great write up here.

http://www.nospoons.com/Porsche/dead-relay.jpg

fraggle 02-02-2012 08:50 PM

Wrapped this up today with the $9 radio shack relay. Bought it at the mall! Nice to see that at least some radio shacks still are true to their origins.

Tips: Remember REMEMBER DO NOTDO NOT crank the heat all the way up on your soldering iron. My board now requires a couple extra jumper wires because I cooked the PCB contacts right off the @$%^@! board.

Solder wick or a real vacuum solder tool is your friend. After all the electrical work I do I'm amazed I didn't have one of these 10 years ago.

I'm going to add another tricky bit to my install with an extra switch to enable/disable the compressor, but use the stock signals and switching to kick on both fans for those sit-on-rt66-at-100F moments. Or anywhere else I want to flog the crap out of the car and don't car about having the AC load on.

Alan 02-02-2012 10:11 PM

I'm not sure I'm understanding your reason for the switch... can you explain more?

Alan

fraggle 02-02-2012 11:13 PM

I want to be able to kick both fans on "HIGH" on demand without turning on the AC.

Lorenfb 02-03-2012 05:02 PM

"Wrapped this up today with the $9 radio shack relay."

Hopefully, you checked the clutch current, as the original relay was destroyed by excessive
compressor clutch current, i.e. Much more than the normal current of about 3 amps.

fraggle 02-03-2012 05:56 PM

In the past this car fragged two different compressors, that's what took out the relay. I'm 70% done with complete cleanining and flushing of the entire system.