Notices

Oil Filler Gasket and Thermostat Housing R&R

Old 01-28-2008, 11:22 AM
heinrich
928 Collector
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No need to pull the drains, unless you're changing coolant. Mike is right I was thinking your car looks awesome ... almost new in fact.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:55 PM
StratfordShark
Drifting

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom in Austin
What would happen if you hadn't drained the engine block (i.e. only the radiator)? Could you take out the thermostat with bridge still installed and suction out enough coolant that way to avoid spilling a bunch when the manifold came out?
I asked a couple of days ago whether you had to drain rad, block or both to do this job.

Was advised that if you remove top hose from radiator and catch what comes out that will drain enough water out of the bridge to let you take it off.

When I changed my t-stat and seal I drained the rad first, and remember that you could see the water below the o-ring of the bridge but there was no water in the bridge itself, certainly not enough to drain out of the t-stat elbow.

I'm in the middle of intake job so don't want to risk any coolant getting in the oil filler or the front cylinders. If anyone thinks it's not safe to just drain via the top hose then I'll drain the whole rad.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Dwayne
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 28 Posts

I edited the post/procedure for leaving the crossbrace attached until after the car is lifted and supported on jackstands and added re-attaching the crossbrace before lowering the car. I believe this is a better procedure/order. THANKS for the comments/recommendations!!!
Old 01-28-2008, 04:18 PM
borland
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the new addition.

I could add, that you should have coated the coolant o-rings with a liberal amount of silicone grease for assembly.

This is a normal part of the top end refresh which you'll like need to perform regardless of milage. Removing the intake is quite easy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Filler Gasket and Thermostat Housing R&R