Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Some days you just cant win... (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/995580-some-days-you-just-cant-win.html)

Eplebnista 06-17-2017 10:18 PM

Some days you just cant win...

My AC has not been up to the standards required by She Who Must Be Obeyed. I hook my gauges up and see both the low side and the high side are not where they should be. Shut the car off, leave keys in ignition. Go to wall safe in garage and remove a can of R-12. Make sure all valves are closed on gauge set, puncture can, purge feed line to gauge set, walk back to driver's side door and it is locked, as is passenger side. Of course, windows are fully up and hatch is closed.

Second set of keys are in my wife's handbag. She will be back Tuesday night. That hi$$ing sound you hear is my can of R-12 slowly enlarging the ozone hole...

At least I didn't back it out of the garage.

19psi 06-17-2017 11:02 PM

Stick the can in hot water to bring the pressure up. You should be able to force at least a few ounces into the car so it won't be a total loss.

M. Requin 06-17-2017 11:13 PM

Oh, yeah! Hard earned lessons: never carry your car keys in your hand when you walk out on the dock to your boat (or back), and never ever ever leave your keys in a car with any kind of electronic/electrical locking system. Watched my Jag XJ40 sitting at the gas pump shut and lock everything, windows, sunroof, doors before I could get to it... Fun morning, not.

Kiwi'79 06-17-2017 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Eplebnista (Post 14262508)
My AC has not been up to the standards required by She Who Must Be Obeyed. I hook my gauges up and see both the low side and the high side are not where they should be. Shut the car off, leave keys in ignition. Go to wall safe in garage and remove a can of R-12. Make sure all valves are closed on gauge set, puncture can, purge feed line to gauge set, walk back to driver's side door and it is locked, as is passenger side. Of course, windows are fully up and hatch is closed.

Second set of keys are in my wife's handbag. She will be back Tuesday night. That hi$$ing sound you hear is my can of R-12 slowly enlarging the ozone hole...

At least I didn't back it out of the garage.

Ha Ha your avatar "splains" it all!!!!:roflmao:

And of course you are still going to get it in the neck come Tuesday:corn:

WyattsRide 06-18-2017 12:31 AM

I see a third key to hang on the garage wall, in your future. :burnout:

dr bob 06-18-2017 01:00 AM

I see another key, hidden someplace on the car that's accessible with the doors & windows locked.

I think we've all been through that moment of sudden and painful realization.

-----

You forgot to share the Good News part of the story: The engine wasn't running, and you only lost the car of Freon rather than watching teh whole system bleed out. Go buy a lottery ticket - It's your day!

GlenL 06-18-2017 01:04 AM

I pulled a wire at the CE panel and disabled the locking system.

The Forgotten On 06-18-2017 06:26 AM

If you want to disable the locking system permanently without any modifications just put a standard 53 relay into the window relay socket.

The door locks get power through the central pin on the relay when the car is off. The 53 relay lacks this 5th center pin.

GlenL 06-18-2017 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by The Forgotten On (Post 14262862)
If you want to disable the locking system permanently without any modifications just put a standard 53 relay into the window relay socket.

The door locks get power through the central pin on the relay when the car is off. The 53 relay lacks this 5th center pin.

You're right!

I didn't follow the hot line back between sheets. They've got it set up where the door locks won't work while the window is being operated. Pulling the K2 pin (on '80) removes power but is less elegant.

drooman 06-18-2017 11:19 AM

First Gen electric locks in the 928 changed me...can't remember how many times I got locked into or out of these things. Getting locked IN is almost as bad as getting locked out. The electric locks would jam half way (but far enough to be "locked") The ridiculous positioning of the lock knob makes it a huge pain to un-jam from the driver seat. (why they didn't place the knob up near the door handle, like about a million 911s were, is a mystery to me) I never felt the need to lock a car when I was IN it, now my pulse quickens every time I drive a modern car and it decides to "lock me in" when I put it in drive.

My most 928 memorable lock OUT was at the liquor store down the street from where I lived (pre cell phone era) I left the car running, set the parking brake and went in. I came out with a box of booze to a locked and running 928. I walked the booze about a quarter mile down the street to the house, got my other key and went back to get the car. Funny memory now, sot so much then.

To this day if I have to work on a 928 lock or outside door handle, that anti-theft piece of tin that covers everything in there comes out and goes in the trash.

alex70 06-18-2017 12:40 PM

That's stinks.

If I need to (or choose to) leave the key in the ignition for some reason, especially if it's running, I always roll driver's window down a bit so I have access to the handle.

If you want to get in sooner there have been some posts on obtaining access through a small access hole underneath car near driver's side. I believe you are supposed to be able to reach up to the knob. I never tried it

Bummer on the keys.

928NOOBIE 06-18-2017 12:52 PM

There's a way to disable passive locking I think isn't there. My car has the factory alarm and I swear I read a post about disabling that..?Maybe I'm dreaming.

The Forgotten On 06-19-2017 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by drooman (Post 14263139)
First Gen electric locks in the 928 changed me...can't remember how many times I got locked into or out of these things. Getting locked IN is almost as bad as getting locked out. The electric locks would jam half way (but far enough to be "locked") The ridiculous positioning of the lock knob makes it a huge pain to un-jam from the driver seat. (why they didn't place the knob up near the door handle, like about a million 911s were, is a mystery to me) I never felt the need to lock a car when I was IN it, now my pulse quickens every time I drive a modern car and it decides to "lock me in" when I put it in drive.

My most 928 memorable lock OUT was at the liquor store down the street from where I lived (pre cell phone era) I left the car running, set the parking brake and went in. I came out with a box of booze to a locked and running 928. I walked the booze about a quarter mile down the street to the house, got my other key and went back to get the car. Funny memory now, sot so much then.

To this day if I have to work on a 928 lock or outside door handle, that anti-theft piece of tin that covers everything in there comes out and goes in the trash.

Most issues like this are caused by the door locks needing to be adjusted. You don't have to go so far as to remove the metal plate.

Just the motor and follow the WSM's directions on how to do this.

The door locks jammed the locks shut and broke the driver's side door lock tumbler on my 81 after having to hold the key in the unlock position and pulling on the door handle.

After adjusting them all issues went away aside from the internal mechanism for the latch being worn out, now I just need to install its replacement.

MainePorsche 06-19-2017 06:25 AM

Or, you can take a key with a generic fob (not lighted Porsche fob) and cut it down to a wallet sized key. I have my original wallet sized key and had to use it only once. This will always work.

Walt L 06-19-2017 04:00 PM

Unless, as would certainly happen to Mr. Wiley Coyote,
his wallet is in the car...
;)