Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   5 spd conversion..No turning back... (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/994574-5-spd-conversion-no-turning-back.html)

Hold On 06-10-2017 10:20 PM

5 spd conversion..No turning back...

2 Attachment(s)
I`m committed to this now! Next weekend, swap over all the suspension and bolt it back up.

polecat702 06-10-2017 10:27 PM

Hope an old geezer like you can still push a clutch pedal!

DeWolf 06-10-2017 10:37 PM

Your car is about to become a completely different animal. Put an electric pump in and use the auto cooler lines to cool the manual.

Wisconsin Joe 06-11-2017 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by DeWolf (Post 14247747)
Your car is about to become a completely different animal. Put an electric pump in and use the auto cooler lines to cool the manual.

Why?

Honest question.

Autos tend to generate heat, for a lot of different reasons.

Manuals are different.

I had a gaping hole in my dash where the clock originally was, an idiot PO (two or more back) put some sort of stereo accessory in there.

To fill the hole, I decided to put a couple gauges in. Oil temp was an easy choice, but the second took a bit more thought.
So I put a trans temp gauge in. In hindsight, it was kind of pointless.

Temp never goes up. Not really anyway. Even on a long, higher speed run (200 miles mostly at 90 mph across Nevada), the temp never went above about 150F.

Maybe if the driver is really hammering on it, up and down in speed and through the gears, it might generate a bit more heat.
But short of pushing it for a while on a track, I don't see it being an issue.

Besides, pumping gear oil through those skinny little lines is going to take a pretty strong pump.

95carrera 06-11-2017 10:53 PM

Keep us posted with progress photos.

Hold On 06-16-2017 10:19 PM

Heading back to the shop this weekend. Plan is to get suspension swapped over to manual cross brace, get everything pressure washed and clean, swap out flywheel, new rear main seal, new pilot bearing , new bellhousing , modify tunnel for shifter, and install the trans/torque tube assembly back under car. Piece of cake..... I hope....

AirtekHVAC 06-17-2017 08:52 AM

One helluva undertaking....good luck.

Hold On 06-20-2017 12:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Hold On (Post 14260861)
Heading back to the shop this weekend. Plan is to get suspension swapped over to manual cross brace, get everything pressure washed and clean, swap out flywheel, new rear main seal, new pilot bearing , new bellhousing , modify tunnel for shifter, and install the trans/torque tube assembly back under car. Piece of cake..... I hope....

Got the project moved along this past weekend. Swapped out the rear suspension to the manual cross member, installed manual flywheel, new rear main seal, new pilot bearing, cut the shifter hole out then installed the whole assembly back under the car. When I left the shop it was on its wheels and rolling around. Dam I was sore this morning......

ried 06-20-2017 03:59 AM

Impressive.

Hold On 06-30-2017 04:59 PM

Heading back to the shop on Sat. Got my list of "To Do`s" Get the center console and new shifter back together, get the new clutch pack put together and back in place, replace the heat shields then figure out how to install the clutch pedal. I went with a floor mounted Wilwood setup with an integrated clutch master cylinder running to the stock slave unit. Didn`t want to cut up the firewall. I will take pics of progress

prescott 06-30-2017 06:57 PM

WOW! Hope I get to see this beast at the AZ PCA meeting at Goldwater Lake this fall! Supercharged 5 speed! Stock clutch or heavy duty unobtainium?

Hold On 07-05-2017 04:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got to spend a day working on this project. Got the console and shifter back together and put the clutch pack together. That sucker is heavy when all the parts are assembled. I have to go out of town after the 4th but hope to have this project done mid July. Some before and after of console.

Hold On 07-15-2017 09:00 PM

Project is complete and I am loving it ! Makes a great car even more fun to drive. Everything went well. Still need to get the rear re-aligned. Spent the last three days of my vacation week in the shop pushing ahead to finish.

Michael Benno 07-15-2017 09:20 PM

Welcome to the 5spd club. Great write up and glad you had the courage to do it.

Mrmerlin 07-16-2017 09:40 AM

glad it worked out,
can you post clutch master cylinder install pictures and part numbers