Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Ultimate High Output Bosch Alternator fits 1985-1995 (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/965623-ultimate-high-output-bosch-alternator-fits-1985-1995-a.html)

supercedar 01-29-2017 12:01 PM

Greg,
I installed my new alternator while replacing upper and lower control arms on my 88. I test drove for 50 miles last night and all was well. This morning when I started the car my volt gauge sat at 10 volts for about 20 seconds before bouncing up towards 14 volts. Does this alternator have a stall type feature? The idiot light on volt gauge never triggered and it works properly.
It was awesome with all the accessories on while idling waiting for my citation for 5 miles over the speed limit. I should have gotten at least negligent at 40 over but the trooper liked the car and performance apparently.

Bigfoot928 01-29-2017 09:33 PM

Mine came in last week and appears to be a work of art.

Landseer 01-29-2017 09:46 PM

Isn't the power steering mounting casting of the 32V cars backward-compatible with the 16V cars?

If that is true, and I remember reading somewhere that it is, then the newer alternator should also be swappable.

Somebody ought to try to confirm that.

GregBBRD 01-29-2017 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by supercedar (Post 13919409)
Greg,
I installed my new alternator while replacing upper and lower control arms on my 88. I test drove for 50 miles last night and all was well. This morning when I started the car my volt gauge sat at 10 volts for about 20 seconds before bouncing up towards 14 volts. Does this alternator have a stall type feature? The idiot light on volt gauge never triggered and it works properly.
It was awesome with all the accessories on while idling waiting for my citation for 5 miles over the speed limit. I should have gotten at least negligent at 40 over but the trooper liked the car and performance apparently.

The idiot light should light.

Disconnect the single small wire to the alternator and touch it to ground with the key on. The idiot light should light.

Ducman82 01-29-2017 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Landseer
Isn't the power steering mounting casting of the 32V cars backward-compatible with the 16V cars?

If that is true, and I remember reading somewhere that it is, then the newer alternator should also be swappable.

Somebody ought to try to confirm that.

That's what I have on my car. Pretty sure I have more time/mileage on this alternator than anyone, works like a dream.

supercedar 01-29-2017 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by GregBBRD (Post 13920727)
The idiot light should light.

Disconnect the single small wire to the alternator and touch it to ground with the key on. The idiot light should light.

The idiot light comes on with ignition on. My concern was more with the 20 or so second delay before needle bounces up off 10 to near 14.

SeanR 01-30-2017 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by supercedar (Post 13920841)
The idiot light comes on with ignition on. My concern was more with the 20 or so second delay before needle bounces up off 10 to near 14.

Is this RPM dependent or you start it and it takes that long to register? How is the voltage at the jump post during that wait time?

supercedar 01-30-2017 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by SeanR (Post 13920945)
Is this RPM dependent or you start it and it takes that long to register? How is the voltage at the jump post during that wait time?

Sean,

Once the car is running (right at start up) the needle stays on 10 volts for 20 seconds
then goes up close to 14 volts. This has only happened once. I also notice the needle has more movement than with the stock alternator.

DonaldBuswell 02-05-2017 09:03 PM

Beautiful work! And a slipper clutch! We have had these for a good 5-9 yrs now on our sport bikes so we can bang downshifts from a high gear to a low(er) gear while full-on the brakes to make the corner and not have the rear wheel slow down and or stop spinning -- when this happens the accident is almost certain and a good 60% of the accident has already happened before we riders even realize the rear wheel has locked up. That's a very fair and decent, even too cheap a price for this Stromerzeuger!

Speedtoys 02-20-2017 07:18 PM

Installed...started car...checked voltmeter...

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...f80d745361.jpg

mdkelly1 03-29-2017 06:12 PM

Greg's High Output Alternator

As others have said, this one of the best things you can do for your 928!

It's an amazing experience after 19 years of 928 ownership, being able to sit and drive in traffic with the A/C on, fans running, turn signal on, and radio playing, while having the volt meter remain rock steady.

I had a good stock freshly rebuilt alternator and it worked "fine," but this is a big difference. IMO, it's another improvement that makes the driving experience, and the car, feel exactly as they were meant to be.

Many thanks to Greg for taking the time and effort to address the need for improvement and develop a solid solution, and for making it readily available to the 928 community.

MainePorsche 04-10-2017 09:25 PM

Installed it yesterday.
14.1 V on cold start up.
13.2 V with headlights, fog lights (both incandescents), and fans running low after pulling in garage after 1/2 hour on highway.

GregBBRD 04-10-2017 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by MainePorsche (Post 14101444)
Installed it yesterday.
14.1 V on cold start up.
13.2 V with headlights, fog lights (both incandescents), and fans running low after pulling in garage after 1/2 hour on highway.

Actually, that is low, compared to what we' ve been seeing.

Check battery age/condition.

Did you get new ground cables and positive wire to starter?

Ducman82 04-10-2017 09:47 PM

6000 miles, car could not be happier. never need to use a trickle charger.... ever again.. LOL

MainePorsche 04-10-2017 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by GregBBRD (Post 14101485)
Actually, that is low, compared to what we' ve been seeing.

Check battery age/condition.

Did you get new ground cables and positive wire to starter?

Good point.
I'm a little overdue for the two ground cables.
The cable to starter is likely needed, but further down the list.
Battery has little mileage on it. Spent most of its recent life with my unattached during the winter sleep.