Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   1983 928S (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/934281-1983-928s.html)

Majestic Moose 05-29-2017 12:44 AM

7 Attachment(s)
I feel like I am getting near the end :D

I replaced the cam sprockets, the coating on the old ones, especially the driver side was totally worn through.
Attachment 1170569

I remember having a hard time getting the timing belt on last year with the engine out of the car and those worn sprockets. Now it was even harder but I managed and thankfully got the timing right on the first try.
Attachment 1170570

I then reinstalled the oil fill and dipstick tubes, torqued the crankshaft bolt, topped off the oil and started the engine to make sure everything was good. All was fine but then I realized, how am I supposed to get the center timing cover on? I do have a oil drain valve so I was able to just drain the oil back into the jug, removed the things in the way and installed the timing covers. Next was reinstalling the power steering pump and alternator. All that is left is the AC compressor.

One of the final problems that I found while testing the HVAC was the setting motor would only close on full cold. I found a post by Mrmerlin to check the plug for the outside temp sensor and sure enough that was my problem. It seems like a watertight plug and is a little tough to pull apart but the terminals were corroded. I hit them with deoxit and plugged and unplugged a couple times. If it is ever a problem again I will cut the plugs off and hardwire together.

With the engine running I went through all the HVAC settings and now everything works! I am so happy about this.

One thing I found is the little fan for the inside temp sensor was not working. I took it out of its housing, put a drop of PBlaster on the axle and with direct power to the terminals it started to spin but very weakly. There is a resistor (measured 67k ohms) that I bypassed and then it spun with vigor but only for a few seconds before it began sparking. Soon after it let out its smoke and died. Not sure if it was some PBlaster getting where it shouldn't but I'm guessing it was faulty anyway.
Attachment 1170577

Moving on - I checked the ground under the steering column. A lot of the paint was never sanded off and the ring terminals had some corrosion.
Attachment 1170573

After:
Attachment 1170574

I have installed the dash, new A pillar trims, and sun visors. I am hoping to finish the interior tomorrow.
Attachment 1170575
Attachment 1170576

The last hurdle will be the AC system and I can't figure out how to get the receiver/drier out. The hose that screws in next to the viewport, you can see it but there is really no tool access. Maybe come in from the side with a crowfoot wrench?

Adk46 05-29-2017 08:50 AM

It won't help you, but I chose to replace the drier when I had my bumper cover and duct/vane assembly out of the car, courtesy of a fallen tree on a dark and stormy night.

To those of us who witnessed this car at the 2016 Frenzy, this thread is a treat. Rarely has a car been so blessed by so many experts. Still, I'm imagining you in the future, with your next car. I trust it won't require this epic journey! You'll be satisfied to help others with all the expertise you're developing.

AirtekHVAC 05-29-2017 08:59 AM

Fantastic work. I only wish I had your motivation and drive on my projects. Thanks for posting your journey.

Majestic Moose 05-29-2017 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Adk46 (Post 14218124)
It won't help you, but I chose to replace the drier when I had my bumper cover and duct/vane assembly out of the car, courtesy of a fallen tree on a dark and stormy night.

To those of us who witnessed this car at the 2016 Frenzy, this thread is a treat. Rarely has a car been so blessed by so many experts. Still, I'm imagining you in the future, with your next car. I trust it won't require this epic journey! You'll be satisfied to help others with all the expertise you're developing.

Taking the bumper off would give convenient access but that undertaking in itself is not! I will figure it out, so far I had only looked at it and decided to work on something else instead.
Don't be fooled by the looks of my '89, it is a fixer upper and is likely to get the engine out treatment.

Originally Posted by AirtekHVAC (Post 14218129)
Fantastic work. I only wish I had your motivation and drive on my projects. Thanks for posting your journey.

Strive to complete at least one goal every week and you will get there. Even an elephant Shark can be eaten with small bites.

Majestic Moose 05-29-2017 07:56 PM

5 Attachment(s)
OK so the drier/receiver extraction was a piece of cake. I unbolted the condenser bracket and rotated it out of the way, then with a wrench on the fitting and holding the drier with my other hand I broke it free very easily. It was not tight at all. I cleaned both grounds under the headlight bar while I was here too.
Attachment 1170797

I have the new drier but will not install it until I mount up the AC compressor and can close the system. I have to buy a vacuum pump and AC manifold.
Attachment 1170798

I made little progress today, no where near where I wanted to be. I reinstalled the HVAC head, central warning, and radio to the center console and found that I could not install the side plug to the HVAC with it installed. More double work. With that corrected and all other connections made I tried to mount the center console but was frustrated by the bolts that I have do not want to go into the speednuts. Maybe I mixed up my hardware but it wasn't making sense. I will just buy new bolts based on what is listed in the PET.
Attachment 1170799

I switched out the stock shifter for a short shifter.
Attachment 1170800
Attachment 1170801

j.kenzie@sbcglobal.net 05-29-2017 08:36 PM

Hi Alex,
What a fantastic project. I am also amazed at your versatility and drive. You are an inspiration, and really represent the enthusiast/mechanic that many of us aspire to.
Great job, and great documentation.
Thanks so much,
Dave

hlee96 05-30-2017 09:00 PM

Alex, I have a vacuum and AC manifold from HF that are available if you want to borrow it. I can meet you in between (I am in Chadds Ford) to hand it off.

Let me know-Hoi

Majestic Moose 05-30-2017 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by j.kenzie@sbcglobal.net (Post 14219441)
Hi Alex,
What a fantastic project. I am also amazed at your versatility and drive. You are an inspiration, and really represent the enthusiast/mechanic that many of us aspire to.
Great job, and great documentation.
Thanks so much,
Dave

Thanks I am literally learning as I go.

Originally Posted by hlee96 (Post 14222075)
Alex, I have a vacuum and AC manifold from HF that are available if you want to borrow it. I can meet you in between (I am in Chadds Ford) to hand it off.

Let me know-Hoi

That is REALLY generous of you :bowdown: I just picked up a HF two stage 3CFM pump today though.

Majestic Moose 06-10-2017 08:42 PM

6 Attachment(s)
I have been distracted by my lawn tractor breaking down. The charge pump for the hydraulics grenaded itself. Not a bad job to replace, just time consuming, and I took care of a lot of little things while I was at it.

Attachment 1174571

I would be upset if my 928 oil pump did this!
Attachment 1174572

So I jumped back and forth between working on the tractor and car today.
I got the AC compressor and dryer installed. I had put the AC belt on the crank pulley before installing the alternator and PS pump but I placed it on the pulley for the fan/air pump by mistake so I had to loosen the alt to get the belt on properly.
Reinstalling the compressor is a chore dealing with the weight, trying to route the hoses as you lift it into position and getting the bolts started. The belt is extremely tight to get on; actually all of the accessories do not really have enough slack in their tensioning brackets for an easy install of the belt. My AC tensioner bolt has course threads and so was wrongly used on the old compressor. I left off the front compressor mounting bolt so I can match it with a replacement bolt for the tensioner.
I think my rebuilt hoses are a bit longer because they wouldn't route the same way as before. It is no trouble though, they will not contact anything.
Attachment 1174577

Ignore the wiring - the low pressure switch was jumpered and tied in to that red wire directly to the compressor. This will be corrected.
Attachment 1174578

I hooked up my gauges and vacuum pump and ran it about 30 minutes. I want to see if it holds until morning then I will pull a vacuum for a couple hours and charge the system but so far after about four hours it is still at 29inHg. I found out I need a can tap for the R134a cans :(
Attachment 1174579

Oh about the compressor, they are rebuilt for R12 so I drained the oil and refilled with 180ml of ester oil and changed all schrader valves with R134a compatible ones, that goes for all orings too of course.

On the interior I got the correct hardware to reinstall the center console. I am having a hard time getting the shifter knob all the way down. I will probably pull it off, which will be very difficult at this point and lube it better.
Attachment 1174580

Wisconsin Joe 06-11-2017 07:02 PM

So you are like a lot of Porsche guys.

One 928, one lawnmower.

:p

Bertrand Daoust 06-11-2017 07:21 PM

In his case, it's one lawnmower and two Porsche. :thumbup:

In my case, it's one Porsche and four lawnmowers. I think that's part why I don't have much time for the 928... :banghead:

Alex, if you can work on a 928 (or two), you can work on a lawnmower.
Keep up the good work. :thumbup:

I do work on my car but not much on the lawnmowers. Too boring. :p

Majestic Moose 06-11-2017 10:55 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I have lost count by now between cars, a truck, motorcycles, lawn tractor, push mower, weed wackers, chainsaws, pressure washer, and generator. They are all a piece of cake to maintain compared to the Porsches ;)

So another day is over. I got the correct bolt for the AC compressor and spent a large part of the day charging the AC. I'm not sure how well I did and I may start over. I started by draining about 1.5 cans of R134a into the high pressure side with engine off. After some time to allow it to vaporize into the system I ran the engine and switched the AC on.
Low pressure started around 40 psi and I got a promising temp reading at the center vent.
Attachment 1174804
Attachment 1174806

The low pressure readings raised quickly but dropped as I added more freon to the low pressure port. By adding another can the low pressure reduced to fluctuating between 25-30 psi but my vent temps actually raised to about 58 degrees. The only thing I can think of is that while I purged the hose from can to manifold I did not purge from manifold to ports. I don't know if that is enough air to affect the system. I am pretty sure I filled close to the 860g required.
Attachment 1174823

The HVAC setting motor was acting up again so I cut out the outside temp plug and made my own connections to fix it for good.

Otherwise I replaced the radiator drain plug that was slowly weeping and managed to only drain about a drinking glass worth of coolant. I got the shifter properly fitted, a squirt of windex made it easy, installed the glove box and half way done with the instrument pod.

While messing with the AC I noticed the voltage gauge was reading low, I checked the battery and only got 11.5v :banghead: Alternator is less than 5 years old and 4,000 miles at most.
Attachment 1174824

j.kenzie@sbcglobal.net 06-11-2017 11:46 PM

Hi Alex,
Your pressure gauges look pretty good. It is indeed difficult to fill using small cans, because of introduction of air due to incomplete purging. Your vent temp's going up might just be due to a leaky heater valve letting hot coolant into the heater core. It's pretty common and you see it as vent temps going up as the car warms up.
Good luck,
Dave

skpyle 06-12-2017 12:18 AM

Hang in there, Alex!
You are almost done.

Majestic Moose 06-12-2017 09:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe everything is ok, before going to bed last night I ran it and got 42 degrees from the vent. Battery was 11.4v engine off, 12v with engine at idle and does raise with more rpms. I am thinking that both electric fans were depleting the battery more than the alternator was charging with engine at idle? Both fans running draws around 50 amps.

I need to build a wire harness for the AC air valve that boosts idle rpms when the compressor is on because it pulls the idle speed down too low.

#8 wire harness
Attachment 1174890