Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Has Anyone Used FiberFix? (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/921931-has-anyone-used-fiberfix.html)

Crumpler 03-04-2016 08:06 PM

Has Anyone Used FiberFix?

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 1027365

Looking for a durable wrap material for areas where my harness is getting crispy. And a few other places like on sensor connector boots. I was wondering if anybody, in the collective, has any experience with it?
Billed as for use in autos, but I can't find any heat specs. on the insert or in the packaging. It's not cheap, and it's a one and done use. I'm also not sure that it would have any flex afterwards.

Regards, Dave.

ltoolio 03-04-2016 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Crumpler (Post 13077501)
Attachment 1027365

Looking for a durable wrap material for areas where my harness is getting crispy. And a few other places like on sensor connector boots. I was wondering if anybody, in the collective, has any experience with it?
Billed as for use in autos, but I can't find any heat specs. on the insert or in the packaging. It's not cheap, and it's a one and done use. I'm also not sure that it would have any flex afterwards.

Regards, Dave.

Have you considered this? I've used it in a few places and am pretty happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HWROO7E..._MEJ2wbNY9FK42

GuardsTurbo 03-04-2016 10:10 PM

Just make sure this stuff doesn't trap moisture within and cause you more problems down the line.

Adk46 03-04-2016 11:34 PM

I wouldn't use it on a wiring harness - it would become a hard tube with sharp edges.

Lots of products for wiring harnesses are sold - but I'm not familiar with them.

Eplebnista 03-05-2016 12:22 AM

I would use dry vinyl tape:

If I wanted a cloth "euro" look tape, I would use this:

Silicone self-fusing tape is great stuff, but it is thick even when you stretch it tight and would add too much bulk to your harness.

OTR18WHEELER 03-05-2016 12:24 AM

Wouldn't a new broom handle be cheaper?, I've seen the box and read about it, but it doesn't really fit the bill for practicle automotive use.

UpFixenDerPorsche 03-05-2016 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by GuardsTurbo (Post 13077830)
Just make sure this stuff doesn't trap moisture within and cause you more problems down the line.

And the full PVC cable sheaths over PVC insulated wires didn't ???

A little subject knowledge would increase your cred. ):-[

UpFixenDerPorsche 03-05-2016 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Adk46 (Post 13078051)
I wouldn't use it on a wiring harness - it would become a hard tube with sharp edges.

Oh really? And you have professional knowledge on the subject?

PVC plastics are made flexible by the incorporation of 'plasticisers' into the mix.

Prolonged heat exposure dries the plasticiser from the product viz cable/wiring, eventually leaving every part as brittle as glass. :-(

Modern silicones, on the other hand, have no such problems.

I use this self-binding stuff all the time. Best thing since sliced bread.

So before you mouth-off again, educate yourself on the subject. Otherwise, just f**k off so you don't mislead forum readers! ):-[

UpFixenDerPorsche 03-05-2016 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by OTR18WHEELER (Post 13078141)
Wouldn't a new broom handle be cheaper?, I've seen the box and read about it, but it doesn't really fit the bill for practicle automotive use.

Ahem ... koff ... that's "practical".

:)

UpFixenDerPorsche 03-05-2016 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Eplebnista (Post 13078139)
I would use dry vinyl tape: http://www.amazon.com/TapeCase-TC790...60_SR150%2C160

If I wanted a cloth "euro" look tape, I would use this: http://www.amazon.com/Tesa-Black-Hig...=0FHWC5GVVQ6YX

Silicone self-fusing tape is great stuff, but it is thick even when you stretch it tight and would add too much bulk to your harness.

Space considerations definitely win here.

Mind you, my BMW R1100S Sportbike (and others) did have huge problems with disintegration this style of tape (used on all BM wiring looms), but that was over 10 years ago. Presumably well sorted by now.

For less extensive 'repairs', I couldn't go past silicone self-fusing tapes.

:-)

OTR18WHEELER 03-05-2016 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by UpFixenDerPorsche (Post 13078383)
Ahem ... koff ... that's "practical".

:)

Whars spell check win yu need it

Adk46 03-05-2016 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by UpFixenDerPorsche (Post 13078378)
Oh really? And you have professional knowledge on the subject?
So before you mouth-off again, educate yourself on the subject. Otherwise, just f**k off so you don't mislead forum readers! ):-[

I have a box of the stuff right here on my desk. I was considering fixing my chin spoiler with it, but ended up using marine epoxy/fiberglass - there's no welding it since it is a rubber-like material (doesn't melt). The broom handle image may have had a role in my decision. I've got lots of broken handles out in the shed.

It says "hardens like steel" right on the box. That's too hard for a wiring harness.

I actually do have considerable professional knowledge of materials engineering. And enough practical knowledge to know the difference between the requirements of flexible cable sheathing versus a conduit. Still, materials application engineering can be guess work, so I might be wrong. That's why I phrased my answer as what I would do or not do. I think I was polite, too.

GuardsTurbo 03-05-2016 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by UpFixenDerPorsche (Post 13078358)
And the full PVC cable sheaths over PVC insulated wires didn't ???

A little subject knowledge would increase your cred. ):-[

I don't get it, what's with the hostility?

ltoolio 03-05-2016 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by GuardsTurbo (Post 13078686)
I don't get it, what's with the hostility?

Yeah...that kinda came out of left field.

Crumpler 03-05-2016 11:20 AM

Hey, thanks for the input you guys. I will look at these other products you mentioned.