Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Let's Make a Radical Custom 928 (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/908441-lets-make-a-radical-custom-928-a.html)

hernanca 12-23-2023 07:39 PM

Glad to hear this, Jerry!

Here's a radical idea you may want to consider for the headliner: that same Pascha pattern (diagonal weave - IIRC). It might be too heavy to be a practical headliner, but the great thing about headliners is they can be hidden gems that only reveal themselves when you take a closer look inside. My first thought was to make the wireframe into the Pascha pattern to begin with, but I don't know how that could be utilized.

Jerry Feather 12-24-2023 01:11 AM

Hi Carlos. That is certainly a thought provoking suggestion. I probably wont be looking into the diagonal or diamond Pasha, but I am now giving some thought into just how I might work the listings for the wires into a woven pasha pattern.

Jerry Feather 12-26-2023 03:01 PM

I think I have it close to figured out for the Pasha Headliner. I measured it kind of roughly and it is about 34 inches front to back and 44 inches across. It turns out that the Pasha pattern that I had previously derived for the seats, that I hope to weave into my version of Pasha, is very close to what will be needed for a headliner. Visually they are going to be difficult to tell from each other. There will need to be 6 crossways spokes or wires to hold it up so that translates to a pattern that is about 6 3/4 inches square. then I think I have figured out how to incorporate the listings for the wires. I'll need to sew them into each of the front to back strips of leather and there will be 72 of those. Each one will need 6 listings so that works out to 432 individual listings, and each one will need to be sewn individually and spaced very carefully. Then after each one is sewn with from 2 or 3 stitches to about 8, each one will then need to have the threads tied off on each end of the stitches After that the weaving should go pretty quickly.

The thing that is holding me back on any of the weaving for this project is the choice of leather, and that goes back to the color I had planned to paint the car when the body work is finished. My original plan was to paint the car Guards red since up to some time ago that was just about the brightest Red I could come up with. I had even found a nice bright red car in a car show some time ago and when I asked the guy what color it was he said Guards Red. Then I suggested that it looked a little bit brighter than that and he said the trick was to first paint the base coat in White and then about 3 coats of Red over that. It makes the red a little brighter.

So up until some time ago Guards Red was my color choice; that is until I found a car is a much brighter Red than that and bought it. It is my 911, but it is not a Porsche. I'll explain that much later when I reveal the name of the color.

The problem this has created for me is that when I was focusing on Guards Red I also bought 4 or 5 leather hides in a stark Red that is a very close match to the Porsche color. However, with my new color choice the red leather does not match close enough. Then too, I don't think I will ever be able to find a red leather bright enough to go with my new Red color. What I am thinking of doing is to go to a light tan color and trim it out some with a dark Red. I had also found a very light Tan leather hide on a clearance sale from my main supplier, but it is only one hide, and so far I have not been able to find any duplicates. It has two color names on it. One is Light Tan and the other is Antique White. It is so light that I think the Antique White name is the most accurate. When I get closer to doing some more weaving I'll either find some more in the Antique White or simply go with a very light Tan; and I think I am going to be doing some weaving in the next two or three months since I think I am going to have my left shoulder replaced. That will put me on light duty for several weeks I am sure.

Jerry Feather 12-27-2023 04:27 PM

Here is a kind of preliminary glance at how the early tail lights might work up into the later S4 bumper cover. I bought a couple of the early lights on eBay and took one of them apart to see how it is made. It kind of looks like I might be better off to simply make new lights for this project rather than trying to section the original ones. I'm going to look into that and first will be to find some light sockets that I might be able to use and then I'll probably be working something up with LEDs for the bulbs.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...6f31fcdb43.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...10e87082c5.jpg

Jerry Feather 12-28-2023 11:32 AM

My original plan when I went to the early tail lights for this project, was to section the lights by one inch. Then I obtained the pair of early lights and took them apart and then drew a one inch section on one of them and found that that seems like a bit too much of a section leaving the lights looking too narrow from top to bottom. Then I look again at the picture I previously posted with about a one inch section and they look pretty good. Now I think the best way to determine how much to section them is kind of in the reverse. I want the early lights to fit the S4 bumper cover in close to the same space that the S4 lights take up and maybe a bit more towards the bottom. The early lights have the bottom of the recessed surround going down actually just past the kind of rear apex of the bumper cover, but I don't want that for the cover on this car.

What I think I am going to try is to cut the surround out of the early bumper cover and then cut it in two horizontally. I plan to place the top of the surround at about the same location as the top of the S4 lights then I'll locate the bottom of the surround at the lower location of the S4 light opening or perhaps about a half inch lower, but not at or below the rear apex. With the surround located where I like it that will then tell me just how much to section the lights and lenses.

Then I am trying to develop a method to section the lights which is going to involve trimming the four lenses out to the new size and then placing them into a completely new framework and then actually totally fabricating the light housings that they will mount to.

I think that the section is still going to come out to just about an inch.

hernanca 12-28-2023 04:34 PM

Those early lights inside the S4 bumper nacelles look pretty cool!

Remind me how much the rear bumper is being sectioned - 2 inches? 3 inches? I think I recall 2 inches, to match the body sanctioning?

Jerry Feather 12-29-2023 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by hernanca (Post 19189393)
Those early lights inside the S4 bumper nacelles look pretty cool!

Remind me how much the rear bumper is being sectioned - 2 inches? 3 inches? I think I recall 2 inches, to match the body sanctioning?

If you go by this it is a little less than 6 inches. Many of us guys have been telling women for years that this is six inches.:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...1c66b41c0e.jpg