Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   New MAF...WOW!!!!!!!! (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/88787-new-maf-wow.html)

LexKY928 09-16-2003 06:58 PM

New MAF...WOW!!!!!!!!

I just replaced the MAF on my shark this afternoon. Holy Crap. What a night and day difference.

Since I bought the car about 2 months ago it has been suffering from poor cold start performance, and poor performance below 3k when warm. On the advice of many folks here I checked several things before coming to the conclusion that it was the mass air flow sensor.

I put off the purchase for a while, why I am not sure. The other day after seeing someone post here about buying a "new" one on ebay for a low price, I figured I would try one for that price( around $120). I thought that if that wasn't the problem, I wouldn't be out very much cash.

It turned out to be the problem after all. As soon as I started the car after replacing the part I knew that the problem was solved. I took it out for a quick spin around the block, and WOW! I had forgotten how much fun these cars are. All of the performance is back and it is running almost like a new one.

I think it is safe to say that I wish I had replaced the MAF sooner. On to next project on the car now. :)

Ron

By the way, I have one extra "new" MAF available for sale for $120 if anyone is in need.

Jadz928 09-16-2003 07:31 PM

I would like this "new" MAF. Could you explain to me the condition and where/who you purchased it from?
Consider me interested to purchase.
Thanks!

Mark 09-16-2003 07:55 PM

Ron -

VERY KEWL! I am the one that 'stole' a new on on eBay ($80).

She's going in later this week - and will get the full check-out treatment at a 2-day PCA DE this weekend!

LexKY928 09-16-2003 08:29 PM

Mark,

I bought mine from the same vendor, as you can tell I am very pleased. Have fun this weekend!

Ron

Giovanni 09-16-2003 08:50 PM

Interesting, what is the email of the vendor?

Mark 09-16-2003 10:43 PM

Originally posted by Giovanni
Interesting, what is the email of the vendor?
partsdirect2002@yahoo.com

GRAB IT QUICK! They have another one on eBay....$80 Buy it now!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2432510522

Giovanni 09-17-2003 09:58 PM

It will not fit my car, I have an '84. The price is too good to be true :-).

Sab 09-17-2003 10:32 PM

I emailed the guy and he aparently has more, so I send him my $80 bucks.
Seems very cheap.
Let's hope it works...
Cheers,
Sab.

Greg86andahalf 09-17-2003 11:01 PM

I'm running a "new" one I purchased from parts direct off ebay. It's been in for about a month and appears to be fine.

LexKY928 09-17-2003 11:19 PM

I can say that the price is cheap, but the one I got from them works well. Hopefully everyone else that orders one from them will have the same luck.

Ron

Mark 09-18-2003 05:02 PM

Mine is installed this morning. NOTICABLE improvement!

John Speake 09-19-2003 07:04 AM

I can understand that these MAFs are at a price that is too good to miss. They are clearly well below their production cost.

For a moment, think how this might affect the long term. While this guy sells at this price, I can't compete and will get no income. No income means that part of my business can't fund the development of futher products and services to help you guys kep your cars on the road in the long term.

Why do you think that Bosch/BMW or whoever has scrapped/disposed of these parts ? Most likely that they will not be making/refurbing them in the future. The same will happen with the Bosch ECUs It is just not economic for Bosch to service these parts, which is why the price is steadily rising.

I will help you guys keep your cars on the road, but myself and other vensors need your support to be able to help you in the long term.

Thanks to all of you who have supported me so far !

Niels Jørgensen 09-19-2003 07:42 AM

I'm curious - Where the h*ll do these things come from? Since they're new, they're not off a parts car, at that price, they didn't (at least legally) come from Bosch either, given the demand I'd guess that even if a dealership had plenty in stock, they wouldn't dump prices this low, so what's the story?

Did someone hi-jack an 18-wheeler from Bosch? :)

Mark 09-19-2003 10:04 AM

John Speake -

I can fully understand your points on this. I, as well as many here, fully support our Rennlist sponsors and buy a significant amount of stuff from them. In fact - since I got my car in January of this year - I have spent in excess of $3000 with the "Big 3". (it's pretty bad when I call 928 Spec and Jeannie recognizes my voice!)

However - when a deal like this comes up - where the price that I am able to get an item is 80%+ LESS then the "normal" suppliers - well...I cannot justify NOT acquiring it via this method. Given the $$ involved - this one purchase represents LESS than 3% of my investment YTD. Also - I am assuming all the risk for this purchase. If it is defective - I have no recourse at this price.

This is pretty much a very LIMITED supply and LIMITED offer. I do not think that this will prove to have a significant long term effect on your business - or that of the other suppliers/sponsors. In fact - in the long run - it may provide us MORE $ to spend with you.

To me - this is no different from my buying a used part from a fellow 928er at a price lower then the same even used part from the Big 3. I.E. - I just sent to Cobey, a little radio antenna cable adapter at no charge...should he have refused it?

Finally, I find a minor flaw in your logic...if we interpolate your comments over the big scheme of things - I guess we all should be ONLY buying from our local Porsche dealerships! But - NO - I choose to support those that support 928's - for the most part.

John Speake 09-19-2003 11:32 AM

Hi Mark,
Yes, I'm not passing judgment, just making an observation of the realities of a commercial activity.

Yes, I am also a supporter of fellow enthusiasts recycling their used parts in the community.

But you can't swap a broken MAF or ECU with a friend, can you ?

You mention the Official Porsche Dealerships, and I think there is no error in my thinking. Bosch and Porsche have a very "close" relationship, and it is quite clear that Porsche sells Bosch parts at a higher price than a similar product that (say) VW sells from Bosch.

There is also another angle on this: - the LH ECU used on S4 onwards is a special used only on Porsche. The design is 20 years old and the components largely obsolete. It is not really practical for Bosch to rebuild these units. This is where people like me can keep the cars on the road - with your support !

The OPCs here in the UK are not very interested in supporting our old cars. They would much rather sell new cars, and have an easy predictable, lucrative workshop load with the servicing of newish cars.

I'm glad that in general Rennlisters like you do support the Rennlist Sponsors.

Further mishaps not withstanding, I hope to introduce some interesting new 928 products in the coming months !

Regards,