Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   For Sale - 87 Porsche 928 S4 (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/887693-for-sale-87-porsche-928-s4.html)

heyjoe99 08-10-2015 11:59 PM

For Sale - 87 Porsche 928 S4

Hi,

Four days ago I posted a thread about my 87 Porsche 928 S4, 5 speed and how I was thinking about selling it.

Now I need to sell it.

I'm amazed at the lack of interest so I'm hoping you can help me with where I'm going wrong.

I originally asked for $15k but that include Devek headers. The Devek headers were purchased separately so they are no longer part of this deal.

I lowered the price to $14.5k since the headers are gone.

Am I asking too much for the car?

If so, what would a good price be?

This car is my daily driver so it gets lots of exercise, it has 115k miles on it.

I recently replaced the steering rack and the fuel injection brain.

The AC needs to be repaired.

Please message me if you are interested and I'll share all the information I have about the car.

Thanks,

Joe

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...3d746f02e1.jpg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...a150446e98.jpg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...6f29b8100c.jpg

FREAKINHEAT 08-11-2015 12:07 AM

I'm shocked as well. You should hold on til the best reasonable offer. First advice is to remove the k&n sticker and filter if it has it. Fix the a/c as well.

AO 08-11-2015 12:38 AM

There are a lot of warts on your car, but you're asking a somewhat premium price. Either fix the warts or lower the price. To me, you have a $10-11k car. I'm sure someone will say I'm too low, but that's what I would consider paying without seeing the paint in person.

Mrmerlin 08-11-2015 09:27 AM

Your car looks pretty good, if the intake/ cam covers covers were fresh the value would def go up

MainePorsche 08-11-2015 09:46 AM

Little things like missing seat control button and hot post cover can leave an impression to a knowledgeable 928 buyer that things are overlooked/not cared for.

WyattsRide 08-11-2015 10:12 AM

I think your car looks great. Yes, there are some small cosmetic issues and the AC not working is a draw back. But, the car is clean and to me your asking price is fair for an 87 w/ 5 speed. MHO.

What you need to be is patient. Selling here (or anywhere really) you can't expect buyers to be running to your door throwing money at you days after you post it for sale. It's a nice car, it will sell...eventually.

Captain_Slow 08-11-2015 11:39 AM

Agree with everyone's comments. However, fixing the AC (assuming it needs more than a proper charge) and refinishing the intake and cam covers are the kinds of things I do for ME to enjoy for awhile - not to turn around and immediately sell it. With this overall perspective in mind, I'd suggest the following...

Try to fill the system yourself. I just did this on my S4 and posted a thread about it. It's not the ideal method, but you should be able to determine if it's not working due to low charge pressure, or something less simple. First thing to determine is if your AC has been converted to R134, or still the original R12. I think I see an R12 high side fitting up front - but you need to check the low side fitting...if there's an R134 adapter on the low side there's R134 in your system. If filling causes the compressor to start and cold air blows from the vents you were low on freon (R134 or R12). You have a leak, maybe fast, maybe slow, but you don't care because you won't try to fix it because you won't get your expense or whatever your time is worth back on the sale price. If AC still doesn't work after recharging, be prepared to accept a lower price.

Not having a jump post cover does send a unfavorable message. It's a maintenance and safety issue. They are cheap and easily available...and not having one makes knowledgeable 928 shoppers wonder what else is overlooked.

The advanced state of peeling of the intake and cam covers doesn't necessarily affect performance. It just looks bad. It may indicate the engine has experienced a lot of heat cycles, possibly with AC on and stuck in traffic. Can't say for sure, but my 88 has 90K miles and the original intake isn't peeling - yet (just starting to bubble in two spots on top). It's more of a cosmetic thing, and it's a lot of work to remove it and have it sandblasted and properly repainted or powder coated, then installed with fingers crossed that that there are no vacuum leaks. Exactly the kind of thing I do for ME to enjoy for awhile - Not to sell. So be prepared to take a lower price.

You're car is likely a strong 2 or low 3 on the Hagerty valuation scale. At a local Cars & Coffee people commonly say to me "Wow...Your's is a nice one!" It's still just a 3 at best. I'd say it was a weak 3 until I got the AC blowing 41 degrees a few weeks ago. When I fix the center comb flap so it stops the loud tapping, it will be a strong 3. I may be off a bit here, but I'm trying to illustrate that things that are annoying and require lots of effort or expense to fix will drive down the price dramatically because knowledgable 928 shoppers know what is in store for them if they buy it as is.

So, I'm fixing mine myself and enjoying the rewards of my efforts, with the bonus knowledge that one day when I sell it I should be able to get a good price. If you don't need to sell your car you might consider a similar approach -- Prices are rising, so if you fix the AC and redo the intake and cam covers, and any switches that don't work, etc., you can enjoy the car while the value rises (especially because it's a 5 speed).

If you really want to sell it quickly as is, be prepared to take a about a grand less heading into winter, and being patient to get more next spring, when values will likely jump again going into summer (especially if there's good economic news). You're car will be interesting to a lot of potential buyers. The ones who will jump quickly and pay asking price will be folks cruising Ebay with little knowledge of 928s and an itchy "OHHH..it's a 5 speed" finger. That could happen.

heyjoe99 08-11-2015 12:18 PM

Thank you for the insight and advice.

Regarding the jump post cover, that has now been reinstalled, so it's back now.

For the AC, it's a system leak issue. When I recharge it and the pressure is correct the compressor kicks on and it blows cool air. The issue is that there's a slow leak so the pressure doesn't hold and the compressor stops engaging. I just haven't had the time to go and find and repair the leak.

heyjoe99 08-11-2015 11:45 PM

Ok, what's a good price for this car?

hlee96 08-12-2015 08:13 AM

Wild guess, $11-12k if I was still looking for an S4? Nice seats on that 1 pic but need the whole interior shot including the all important driver's side bolster. Why don't you take more pics and post more service info then put up a price on the classifieds section and see who bites? I think that fellow forum members who are much more experienced dealing with these cars already posted their opinions.

docmirror 08-12-2015 11:58 AM

It looks like a $15k car to me if the AC leak were found and fixed. 5 speed is desirable, but you just can't rush selling the 928. If it were a Toyota and was marketed right it would sell in a few weeks. The 928 is just a sloooooooooow market.

AC not working says to people more than just the AC not working. It says 'hmmmm, I wonder what else has been neglected?' If it costs $400 to find and fix the leak that represents 2.5% of the asking price. So, I would start there whether you want to sell or keep it you can then say 'completely functional' and a few cosmetic issues. The dash is nice, and if it runs well I think you have it priced pretty close. But - if you are in a rush then $10-11k is what will sell it soon.

carnahanbb 08-12-2015 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Captain_Slow (Post 12500795)
Not having a jump post cover does send a unfavorable message. It's a maintenance and safety issue. They are cheap and easily available...and not having one makes knowledgeable 928 shoppers wonder what else is overlooked.

I apologize in advance as I don't want to derail the thread but I'd like to find a jump post cover and have not been able to find one so I was hoping you could tell me where to find one?

I like your car by the way! I'd suggest what others are saying. Get the jump post cover, refresh the intake and cam covers, get the A/C issue diagnosed and fix it if it's cost effective to do so. If it's not at least it's been diagnosed. I also like the idea of doing a PPI upfront. It shows you're serious and have nothing to hide. Also, the jump post cover would be something only a true 928 aficionado would notice but the intake and cam covers are universal and honestly not every 928 sells to a 928 aficionado. That being said, it must be an inexpensive part so why not take care of it?

jetson8859 08-12-2015 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by carnahanbb (Post 12503785)
I apologize in advance as I don't want to derail the thread but I'd like to find a jump post cover and have not been able to find one so I was hoping you could tell me where to find one?

Any of the Big 3 should have the jump post cover. I got mine from Roger at 928's R Us (817) 430-2688

carnahanbb 08-12-2015 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by jetson8859 (Post 12503892)
Any of the Big 3 should have the jump post cover. I got mine from Roger at 928's R Us (817) 430-2688

Roger seems to have it all! Thanks! I'll email him right away.

Wisconsin Joe 08-12-2015 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by carnahanbb (Post 12503980)
Roger seems to have it all! Thanks! I'll email him right away.

Ummm. Yeah.

Water is wet and the sky is blue, too.

Roger or Mark & Tom at 928 International have just about anything you need. If they don't have it, it isn't available.

As far as selling goes, you can't be in a hurry. Not unless you want to sell it for a fraction of what it's worth. There simply aren't that many people interested in them.
Mine was for sale for a year and a half (admittedly, it was a bit overpriced).

With the issues you (and others) have mentioned, $10-12k is probably reasonable. You might get more if you are patient.