Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Official 1982 "Great White" revival thread! (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/881768-official-1982-great-white-revival-thread.html)

AirtekHVAC 07-04-2015 10:16 AM

Official 1982 "Great White" revival thread!

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I couldn't resist, and jumped into another project. Many of you know that my original plans for #30 were to paint her white, and change the interior to cork. After meeting several of you for the first time at SITM 2012, I was convinced to go original with her. #30 is moving along at a snails pace. She is running like a top at the moment, and I am working on dash / electrical.

So I stumbled across this poor girl on Craigslist. Cool, I thought, a white 928, then I saw the pics....5 speed, cork interior...holy crap! That's what I want! Then I saw the price...woah....that's cheap, must be a wreck. Called the guy.....it's a runner...a poor runner, but a runner none the less. Worked out a deal, sent a deposit, then waited a week until I could go get her. Turned out it took 6 hours one way. Made it back in 5, not counting the nasty BBQ lunch stop. It was in NC, 25 minutes from Virginia Beach.

Here is a pic, for those of you who missed my thread when I found it.

AirtekHVAC 07-04-2015 10:19 AM

Now, the pics look great, but I'm no fool.....too good to be true....PO told me it's a yard shoot, over the original white. I have before pics, I'll post one soon. It's a solid 10-footer. Any closer, and you can tell it is an amateur paint job. The seller was very upfront and honest in our conversation. A really good guy, who just didn't know what he got into.

More on the work ahead later...here is he unloading video...note the poor running condition....

AirtekHVAC 07-04-2015 10:24 AM

And here i moved some wires around and just cranked her back up.....running darn good, but runs like crap on the next start up.

AirtekHVAC 07-04-2015 10:27 AM

I have removed the intake already, and found multiple vacuum lines off, and plugged, as well as some missing components. I also have replacement lines off the 84 fire car for all that fuel mess under the hood, already mock fitted, so next on the list is to put that all back as it should be...pics later.

AirtekHVAC 07-04-2015 11:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ready for surgery!

Crumpler 07-04-2015 11:32 AM

Absolutely awesome find my friend!
Love white.
Love OB.
Love cork.
Love the five speed.

Keep the pics coming!
I'm curious what Mrs. Ron's first response was when the purchase was announced, hehe.
My wife would tell me to go sleep in it, lol.
I'm always watching CL anyway.
Have a good fourth buddy.

AirtekHVAC 07-04-2015 12:07 PM

Lol...she's still pissed. She wouldn't even come out and look at it when I got home. In fact, she still hasn't seen it, except out our bathroom window when I pulled up. She said, " Am I to assume that one doesn't run either"?

She'll get over it! Hahaha....

White Lightnin' 07-05-2015 12:11 AM

Nice addition Ron!

It looks like it has the bronze tint windows? Nice compliment to the cork interior!

:thumbsup:

medipedicman 07-05-2015 01:05 AM

Pumped for ya man. I am excited to see this one develop.

I think I have an extra set of black letters for the back. If I can put my hands on them I will send them out next week.

hlee96 07-05-2015 01:10 AM

Nice color combo! I will be following your thread very closely, for I think my car will be going through very similar recovery process.

Keep the info coming!

AirtekHVAC 07-05-2015 09:30 AM

Thanks Barry. Yes, bronze tint.

Brian, that would be awesome! The PO started to "accentuate" the lettering with, what else? A sharpie! Geez. Well the paint job is not good, but is a good protective coat until I strip her down. Currently, my plan is to get her driving, then continue on #30 , so ideally 30 will see the paint booth first.

Hlee, love your cars....really like your new project. In much better shape than both of mine. Good luck! I will follow your posts as well.

AirtekHVAC 07-05-2015 09:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So it begins.....found this in the small box of PO parts in the hatch.

AirtekHVAC 07-05-2015 09:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Let's get to it!

soltino 07-05-2015 12:41 PM

"
"Nice color combo"

What a waste of Cork/ I'm looking for a nice cork for my Wine 82 Auto. LOL

Tino

nc_growler 07-05-2015 12:58 PM

Amazing that these cars just continue to run, even with everything that has been done to them. Continue posting your progress. Yet another great thread to follow. My GR8WH1TE '91 GT salutes your resurrection efforts on what appears to be a great grandparent in the lineage.