Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Tearing down enging, first timer (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/856625-tearing-down-enging-first-timer.html)

Thoomas 02-02-2015 01:24 PM

Tearing down enging, first timer

Hi guys!

I have the engine out for a complete teardown and rebuild. Its my first time ever to go inside an engine. I would be very thankful for your help along the way.

I´m about to lift the heads and in WSM they mention some special tools. Do I need to use those or can I go without or with something else?

Heres from the WSM:

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...4f4e1fff44.jpg

Cheers

Ad0911 02-02-2015 02:35 PM

Are you sure you want to take it apart completly? If axial play of the crankshaft is within spec of the wsm, just leave it. Unless you have a real good reason not to

Leon Speed 02-02-2015 03:27 PM

You don't them for disassembly since they are for assembly purposes. Disassemble the cams evenly loosen the cam caps one turn at a time as not to put too much pressure in one spot.

Thoomas 02-02-2015 04:12 PM

Thanx Leon!
Will take it step by step then.

One of the cam sprocket won't come off. It seems to be a little rust that's holding it to the cam shaft. I don't want to use to much force on it to get it of. Anyone got a good advice on this?

Jetdriver69 02-02-2015 04:26 PM

Soak the cam gear with a penetrating oil like PB Blaster if it really stuck.

Try wiggling the cam gear back and forth and it may come loose.

It is it really stuck, you can use a two arm gear puller to free the gear.

One of mine was stuck an I used a combination of penetrating oil and a small crowbar from behind the gear to gently wiggle it loose.

On reassembly use a little bit of anti seize to ensure it won't stick again.

Thoomas 02-02-2015 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ad0911 (Post 12006811)
Are you sure you want to take it apart completly? If axial play of the crankshaft is within spec of the wsm, just leave it. Unless you have a real good reason not to

Will do the 2/6 drilling routine to secure lubrication. What's the things that I should watch out for when I take it apart?

Thoomas 02-02-2015 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jetdriver69 (Post 12007113)
Soak the cam gear with a penetrating oil like PB Blaster if it really stuck. Try wiggling the cam gear back and forth and it may come loose. It is it really stuck, you can use a two arm gear puller to free the gear. One of mine was stuck an I used a combination of penetrating oil and a small crowbar from behind the gear to gently wiggle it loose. On reassembly use a little bit of anti seize to ensure it won't stick again.

Thanx! I've soaked it now and will let it stay that way over night. Will try and wiggle it loose tomorrow.

Jetdriver69 02-02-2015 05:44 PM

Nice color!

This that paint or a vinyl wrap?

vze2jshn 02-02-2015 05:48 PM

Wriggle with care--don't want to break sprocket off with the nose of the cam.

Thoomas 02-02-2015 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jetdriver69 (Post 12007364)
Nice color!

This that paint or a vinyl wrap?

Thanks!

Its paint, with att matte clear coat on a matte black paint.

Thoomas 02-02-2015 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by vze2jshn (Post 12007379)
Wriggle with care--don't want to break sprocket off with the nose of the cam.

Will try to be carefull and full of patience.

Leon Speed 02-02-2015 06:16 PM

Use a puller. Great opportunity to get more tools. Now don't take this the wrong way, but I'm a bit confused, you're talking about crank drilling yet asking basic questions.

Thoomas 02-02-2015 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Leon Speed (Post 12007470)
Use a puller. Great opportunity to get more tools. Now don't take this the wrong way, but I'm a bit confused, you're talking about crank drilling yet asking basic questions.

Well I´m not gonna do the drilling. Just disassembling the parts.

Need to ask basic questions because this is all new to me and I take it step by step and loving the challange of doing it myself. But of course this forum is a superb help along the way!! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Will have to buy a puller. Long overdue, that one... :thumbup:

Is it something like this a need:

http://www.otctools.com/products/1-t...o-matic-puller

soontobered84 02-02-2015 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Thoomas (Post 12007519)
Well I´m not gonna do the drilling. Just disassembling the parts.

Need to ask basic questions because this is all new to me and I take it step by step and loving the challange of doing it myself.

I'm with Leon. OK, you're not doing the drilling, but you still have to put it back together. I presume that you want it to run more than 5 minutes after you put it together. What is your history with rebuilding engines? Is this your first attempt? No disrespect intended but if so, please stop right now.

Thank you.:)

Thoomas 02-03-2015 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by soontobered84 (Post 12007924)
I'm with Leon. OK, you're not doing the drilling, but you still have to put it back together. I presume that you want it to run more than 5 minutes after you put it together. What is your history with rebuilding engines? Is this your first attempt? No disrespect intended but if so, please stop right now.

Thank you.:)

I appriciate your concern!:)

I´m not gonna stop with this job. You need some challanges in life and I want to learn how to do this and a will need advice and tips along the way.

Most of it is just mechanics, how hard can it bee...? :icon107:

If I feel that I get in over my head theres always a shop who will do the job. :D

Cheers!