Not Sure I Even Want To Powder Coat? - Page 4 - Rennlist Discussion Forums



Not Sure I Even Want To Powder Coat?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-31-2015, 04:16 PM   #46
FBIII
User
 
FBIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Doylestown, PA
Posts: 1,483
Default

Nice job!!! I would prefer alloys to retain their original finish and not be painted where posible.
FBIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 05:49 PM   #47
Crumpler
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Crumpler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 1,087
Default

Thanks Guys, for the support.
Honestly, as good as it looks now, I need to monitor the surface since this is a relatively unknown for me with this product on this alloy.
So far so good, however, some of the components have been exposed to air for several weeks after treatment without oxidation. Now we will see if heat is an issue, since the car is back together and running.
Crumpler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:59 PM   #48
Crumpler
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Crumpler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 1,087
Default

Just wanted to check in on this.
Noticed oxidation on the intake this week.
Looks like the Sharkhide gave up.
I guess the magnesium component was too much for it after all.
For those that doubted it would work...keep doubting.
Crumpler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:28 PM   #49
hernanca

Rennlist Member
 
hernanca's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
Posts: 449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumpler View Post
Just wanted to check in on this.
Noticed oxidation on the intake this week.
Looks like the Sharkhide gave up.
I guess the magnesium component was too much for it after all.
For those that doubted it would work...keep doubting.
Hey Dave,

Any pics? I was interested in this approach.

It seems like it did the job for about 2 years? About how many miles did it last do you think?

Could it be it needs to be reapplied? (which could be a pain...)
hernanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:44 AM   #50
cobalt
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
cobalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 14,592
Default

In as cast condition Magnesium has a skin on it that if left alone will last a fair time assuming it is not soaking in water or in a very moist environment. The easiest approach is to find someone to grit blast and chrome pickle the parts immediately after blasting. The chrome pickle is a chemical conversion basically a mixture of nitric acid and sodium dichromate dihydrate. Nasty stuff. You can buy this mix it and apply per MIL/AMS M 3171. It is the easiest way to prevent oxidation but should be painted soon after. There are some decent catalyzed paints you can use that are not perfect but will hold up to solvents which is a must for engines.

Eastwood makes a catalyzed primer and paints that do a decent job. http://www.eastwood.com/paints/2k-ae...ay-paints.html

There are no guarantees it will hold up but you might consider their clear over the polished but I have never seen that last.

Another option is finding a shop that can do the passivation for you. This shop is local to me and does excellent work but call to verify they can help you.
http://qualitymetalfinishing.net/

PS: it may not appear to be oxidizing but it starts within an hour or so after cleaning. You can't trust your eyes. Rule of thumb is some form of coating or conversion within an hour of cleaning. Also oils from your hands will clearly show up as fingerprints or black marks after a while. If this is allowed to sit for weeks it might show up after you coat it but years from now.

Magnesium is great metal but is temperamental. I would consider polishing any surface that has not been treated again prior to coating with anything. Also a good wash and dry at 120 degrees in a convection type oven is also wise.

Also others said that the gray powdery surface is from a conversion treatment. that is incorrect. Depending on hardness the magnesium will show up as a greenish gray to gold color not powdery. If it is gray powdery be careful this can be explosive if sparks are nearby.
cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:02 AM   #51
Crumpler
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Crumpler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 1,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanca View Post
Hey Dave,

Any pics? I was interested in this approach.

It seems like it did the job for about 2 years? About how many miles did it last do you think?

Could it be it needs to be reapplied? (which could be a pain...)
You can compare the side air box to the raw aluminum. Not terrible yet, just much duller then before. I would estimate two years and 8000 miles since application.
You can strip off the sharkhide with lacquer thinner and re-apply pretty easily, but I think the oxidation would require the same prep as before to make it look perfect...which I don't have in me again



Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
In as cast condition Magnesium has a skin on it that if left alone will last a fair time assuming it is not soaking in water or in a very moist environment. The easiest approach is to find someone to grit blast and chrome pickle the parts immediately after blasting. The chrome pickle is a chemical conversion basically a mixture of nitric acid and sodium dichromate dihydrate. Nasty stuff. You can buy this mix it and apply per MIL/AMS M 3171. It is the easiest way to prevent oxidation but should be painted soon after. There are some decent catalyzed paints you can use that are not perfect but will hold up to solvents which is a must for engines.

Eastwood makes a catalyzed primer and paints that do a decent job. http://www.eastwood.com/paints/2k-ae...ay-paints.html

There are no guarantees it will hold up but you might consider their clear over the polished but I have never seen that last.

Another option is finding a shop that can do the passivation for you. This shop is local to me and does excellent work but call to verify they can help you.
http://qualitymetalfinishing.net/
That sounds good sir, I will research.
I will put take two back in the que, I gotta deal with some other stuff first.
Crumpler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:34 AM   #52
DonaldBuswell
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
DonaldBuswell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 71
Default

Wow, you all seem to make this entire process so challenging and time-consuming! I just did this to my S4.



All done, Plastic Media Blasted, wiped down, epoxy primed, and a 'Dull Aluminum' paint and hand painted in Guards Red the letters.





Pile to be blasted





Correcting some casting flaws



Left one original for comparing.



Nothing escapes getting blasted by the Doctor at www.drblast.com



Before



Sick and needing a cure



Nice and clean



The only way to do this, professionally Media Blasted. No chemicals, no dremel tools, no sanding, no hours and hours and hours, no residual blasting media anywhere.
DonaldBuswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:15 AM   #53
cobalt
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
cobalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 14,592
Default

Magnesium can be a tricky material and damage can be occurring under the PC without you ever knowing. Intakes are not critical parts but for some items it can have a very negative impact. Once oxidation starts attacking the metal at a dendritic level there is no turning back. The question is are you looking for a few years or a lifetime finish.
cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To Powder Coat OEM 21" Wheels or Not ... Discussion ??? JD305 Porsche Cayenne Forum 39 05-13-2016 02:31 PM
Powder coating - how often? safulop 928 Forum 6 10-18-2015 10:15 PM
Anyone removed powder coat on their hre wheels and polished and clear coated ? slicky rick 997 Forum 36 08-04-2015 01:58 PM
ANOTHER Powder coating valve covers thread CBR786 964 Forum 5 03-27-2010 10:33 AM
Can assembled calipers be powder coated? larpy 993 Forum 18 02-11-2010 11:12 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -3. The time now is 09:41 AM.


Copyright ę 1998 - 2017 Rennlist.com
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
What's your question?
Send