Notices
928 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: 928 Specialists

New Panorama praise for 928

 
Old 11-05-2014, 02:01 PM
  #46  
MGW-Fla
Super User
 
MGW-Fla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Fla
Posts: 4,148
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Manny Alban View Post
We have NEVER discussed making Pano online only. PCA's online presence compliments Panorama. I have an iPad. I travel alot. I still prefer having a magazine in my hands than reading it online. Maybe I'm old. I'm 48. My kids tell me I'm old.
Heck Manny, you're YOUNG by both PCA and 928 Owner standards!
MGW-Fla is offline  
Old 11-05-2014, 05:07 PM
  #47  
WyattsRide
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
WyattsRide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Gibsonia, PA
Posts: 2,301
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Manny Alban View Post
.........What I'll never understand is the whole 'we're unloved' mantra. I've owned a slew of 'unloved' Porsches (914, 924, 928) and never felt slighted by anyone in PCA. Maybe that's why I got involved. I never felt inferior simply because of the type of Porsche I owned. I get much more comments on my 914 than my 911.......
Manny, I don't think there are many 928 owners that feel slighted by anyone in the PCA. At least not as much anymore. I for one have never felt that way by anyone in my local chapter (ARPCA). I've felt welcomed from day one and my car (and other 928 owners locally) gets lots of attention from the members. But, I do feel that the 928 gets slighted or "unloved" by Panorama. A Porsche only magazine. I DON'T understand that. I'll reiterated again that I do like Panorama magazine because I love all Porsches. New and old. Why can't for every 20 articles on classic 911's, 912's or 356's can't there be at least ONE article on the 928? or a picture on the front cover.




















In a group shot from 2003



I'm pretty sure I have them all. So from 1994 there hasn't been any on the cover (except group shot of 2003). That's 20 years. Or by my calculations 240+ issues and counting.

"Buying a used 928" article in July 1997.
WyattsRide is offline  
Old 11-05-2014, 06:40 PM
  #48  
Ninjaxz750
User
 
Ninjaxz750's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Near Phila, PA
Posts: 135
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by WyattsRide View Post
That's a good question about the amount of 928 owners that are PCA members. I have a E-mail into the PCA to see if that statistic is available. I'm guessing it wont be. It sure would be interesting to know though.
Well they should have that available, I know I had to enter all that info in order to become a member, so there's at least one 928 registered w them!!!!

Ninjaxz750 is offline  
Old 11-05-2014, 07:25 PM
  #49  
The Fixer
Super User
 
The Fixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pennsyltucky
Posts: 2,449
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

[QUOTE=Manny Alban;11780415]

I never felt inferior simply because of the type of Porsche I owned. I get much more comments on my 914 than my 911.

If with my Wife Astrid I could park with the Carrera GT and museum car owners and not feel inferior..it's good to have a hot Wife you get tons of respect.

Crumpler, thanks for the nice words but appearing in Panorama isn't something that i care too much about.
(What i care about are both sitting next to me watching cartoons)

Besides my project is probably too much for the old folks that read Pano to handle. LOL

Anyway (spoiler alert) I have talked with Pablo this am and Pete Stout has very recently reached out to him to contribute to Panorama in the future.

Guess he's watching and listening after all.

My Carrera in the photo..

Last edited by The Fixer; 05-02-2015 at 01:16 PM.
The Fixer is offline  
Old 11-06-2014, 04:57 PM
  #50  
voskian
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
voskian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Harvard, MA / Scarborough, Maine
Posts: 1,509
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default

Matt, I didn't notice a Carrera in the picture???:
voskian is offline  
Old 11-06-2014, 06:14 PM
  #51  
The Fixer
Super User
 
The Fixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pennsyltucky
Posts: 2,449
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by voskian View Post
Matt, I didn't notice a Carrera in the picture???:
Hey Buddy,

She'd be flattered by the joke (and mad at me at the same time for posting a pic)

I don't know about you guys but i'm sick of discussing Panorama.

I find reading about different makes more interesting these days anyway.

I would say It must be hard to write about Porsches over and over. I don't envy those that have to.

My favorites are Hemmings Sport and Exotic and Classic and Sports Car.
The Fixer is offline  
Old 11-06-2014, 06:40 PM
  #52  
linderpat
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
linderpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 10,336
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by The Fixer View Post
....
My favorites are Hemmings Sport and Exotic and ....
and dayum, did you see that impressive spread in Hemmings on the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix?
linderpat is offline  
Old 11-06-2014, 07:27 PM
  #53  
stout
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
stout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: ^ The Bay Bridge, Silly
Posts: 3,666
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

As Manny said, there's no pressure from PCNA or PAG to not cover the 928, nor is there a lack of willingness on this editor's part to run 928 content in Panorama. Why we would run as many 924 and 944 stories as we have but then actively choose to slight the 928 is...well, um...it just doesn't make sense.

As I alluded to in the other thread: It's been my experience over the last 18 years that good 928 content is harder to come by than just about any other Porsche content. I assigned 928 stories to freelancers while I was at Excellence, and most of them came to fruition—though many of them took far longer than they should have. I'll put the number of feature pages on 928s in Excellence between 1997 and 2012 up against any car magazine on the planet.

As to Pano, I actually green-lighted Pablo for a cool 928 story idea he had more than a year ago. If you don't believe me, I can go back and find the email, as I recently did to check in with Pablo, and he's back on it—as he can confirm if he wants to—and I see no reason why it has to interfere with his own venture, which is very cool. I have another 928 story assigned months ago that I am only waiting for text on. An ex-C/D and R&T shooter did a full shoot for it several weeks ago. There's yet another one, but getting a shooter to the location on budget has proven to be a challenge. And then there's yet another 928 piece that has been assigned, but it's "way out there" in the hands of that freelance.

Anyway, the primary point is this: I do want to see 928 content in Pano, and fully agree that the lack of coverage is a problem. I am working to solve that alongside a number of other issues. What I don't get is the "we're unloved"/"let's tell the editor that there are other Porsches besides the 356 and 911" mantra when two of the three Porsches I've owned were/are neither, and the 911 was one of the two I decided not to keep. The one I did? The "unloved" 914. Funny thing is, while many 914 owners tell me PCA and Porsche people don't appreciate the 914, that has rarely been my experience. It's just a cool car, even if it isn't the one most people pick. The 928 is, too.

pete
stout is offline  
Old 11-06-2014, 08:59 PM
  #54  
The Fixer
Super User
 
The Fixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pennsyltucky
Posts: 2,449
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by linderpat View Post
and dayum, did you see that impressive spread in Hemmings on the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix?
Yes i did Ed, very nice.

I hope to attend the upcoming PVGP.
The Fixer is offline  
Old 11-06-2014, 09:24 PM
  #55  
Ninjaxz750
User
 
Ninjaxz750's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Near Phila, PA
Posts: 135
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by stout View Post
As Manny said, there's no pressure from PCNA or PAG to not cover the 928, nor is there a lack of willingness on this editor's part to run 928 content in Panorama. Why we would run as many 924 and 944 stories as we have but then actively choose to slight the 928 is...well, um...it just doesn't make sense.

As I alluded to in the other thread: It's been my experience over the last 18 years that good 928 content is harder to come by than just about any other Porsche content. I assigned 928 stories to freelancers while I was at Excellence, and most of them came to fruition—though many of them took far longer than they should have. I'll put the number of feature pages on 928s in Excellence between 1997 and 2012 up against any car magazine on the planet.

As to Pano, I actually green-lighted Pablo for a cool 928 story idea he had more than a year ago. If you don't believe me, I can go back and find the email, as I recently did to check in with Pablo, and he's back on it—as he can confirm if he wants to—and I see no reason why it has to interfere with his own venture, which is very cool. I have another 928 story assigned months ago that I am only waiting for text on. An ex-C/D and R&T shooter did a full shoot for it several weeks ago. There's yet another one, but getting a shooter to the location on budget has proven to be a challenge. And then there's yet another 928 piece that has been assigned, but it's "way out there" in the hands of that freelance.

Anyway, the primary point is this: I do want to see 928 content in Pano, and fully agree that the lack of coverage is a problem. I am working to solve that alongside a number of other issues. What I don't get is the "we're unloved"/"let's tell the editor that there are other Porsches besides the 356 and 911" mantra when two of the three Porsches I've owned were/are neither, and the 911 was one of the two I decided not to keep. The one I did? The "unloved" 914. Funny thing is, while many 914 owners tell me PCA and Porsche people don't appreciate the 914, that has rarely been my experience. It's just a cool car, even if it isn't the one most people pick. The 928 is, too.

pete
Pete: Easy man. Our collective frustration is not a reflection of any one person (IE You) or the magazine in general. Person opinion, it's simply that as a group of hard core 928-ers, we're disappointed in not seeing more articles on the grand ol' girl (Easy everybody, I simply consider all cars female. Just how I roll ). Look back at when someone commented on a darn Oil Filter for the 928 being advertised from Porsche on the inside cover of Pano. Anything 928 related would give people here a collective woody (and did). I read Pano and appreciate your hard work and the well crafted articles.

Would I like to see more 928's within the mag? Sure. But don't take it as a reflection of you being criticized for how you put Pano together each month. My head would explode if I even though about doing something like what you do.

It's cool. We are cool. You are cool (Driving around w Seinfeld? Seriously? That's frigging awesome )
Ninjaxz750 is offline  
Old 11-06-2014, 09:58 PM
  #56  
stout
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
stout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: ^ The Bay Bridge, Silly
Posts: 3,666
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Ninjaxz750 View Post
Pete: Easy man. Our collective frustration is not a reflection of any one person (IE You) or the magazine in general. Person opinion, it's simply that as a group of hard core 928-ers, we're disappointed in not seeing more articles on the grand ol' girl (Easy everybody, I simply consider all cars female. Just how I roll ). Look back at when someone commented on a darn Oil Filter for the 928 being advertised from Porsche on the inside cover of Pano. Anything 928 related would give people here a collective woody (and did). I read Pano and appreciate your hard work and the well crafted articles.

Would I like to see more 928's within the mag? Sure. But don't take it as a reflection of you being criticized for how you put Pano together each month. My head would explode if I even though about doing something like what you do.

It's cool. We are cool. You are cool (Driving around w Seinfeld? Seriously? That's frigging awesome )
Thanks, and don't worry, I'm calm and collected.

As a magazine editor or writer, you have to be when it comes to the forums. I might just be dumber than most editors for engaging in them—but I like forums and use them myself.
stout is offline  
Old 11-08-2014, 07:30 PM
  #57  
Crumpler
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Crumpler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 1,493
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

I gotta say, just saw the new Panorama cover...completely awesome, exceptional.
Pete Stout, that is bad asssss, if I may say so. Dark and Iconic. Just my cup of tea.
You have taken your share of grief over here, so I wanted you to get you some well deserved kudos as well.


Attachment 884934



Now the llama farmer, club racer, high mileage Carrera feature...we may have the talk.

Last edited by Crumpler; 12-12-2014 at 09:53 AM.
Crumpler is offline  
Old 11-08-2014, 08:12 PM
  #58  
The Fixer
Super User
 
The Fixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pennsyltucky
Posts: 2,449
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I like this new cover better.

Just a beautiful picture of a great day and drive.

I like that new prototype though.

Last edited by The Fixer; 05-02-2015 at 01:16 PM.
The Fixer is offline  
Old 11-09-2014, 02:06 PM
  #59  
The Fixer
Super User
 
The Fixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pennsyltucky
Posts: 2,449
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

posted by Jon (Captain Slow) in another similar thread:

It is possible that staff and readers of Excellence don't care about the 928, and some may dislike it. I've never read Excellence - and the rising interest in the 928 is among people who don't read Excellence, either. Fact is all Porsches have been water cooled for a long while now. Now there are high volume Porsches that have front mounted V8s (and an SUV has been their top seller). Who cares about Excellence or any magazine that tends to perpetuate an anachronism. Today the 928 appears to be a rolling "I told you so" statement in terms of forward thinking design. There are many people in their 40s-50s who have less rigidly traditional views about what makes a Porsche a Porsche. They have not been brainwashed by the "groupthink" that says the 911 is the only real Porsche. I teach high school. I find the younger generation loves the 928. Eighteen to 30 year olds today do NOT think a REAL Porsche is exclusively a 911. Many of my students want a Panamera, which I don't understand....it's not even marketed to young people. They drool over the 918 (me too!). A combination of folks like me who admired the 928 as a kid, and younger folks who see it as the predecessor of the Cayenne or Panamera think 928s are very cool. I think the experts surveyed by Classic and Sports Car realize the Porsche demographic that will dictate the future value of cars is broadening, and they consider Porsche's to be more than racers or track cars.

Take a look at Hargerty's 928 valuations as of October 2014. Up again.
http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch

I'm happy if values offset maintenance costs over 10-20 years of ownership (doing most work myself).


+1 Jon, well said.

Regarding those PCA members with cars rarely featured..

In my business if I make promises and don't deliver, don't return a call or get documents promised to the bank,

It wouldn't take long for me to lose those Customers and business connection. I'd lose them immediately.

That's how i see it.

Bored again with this.

Last edited by The Fixer; 11-09-2014 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Clarity
The Fixer is offline  
Old 11-10-2014, 01:03 PM
  #60  
William A
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
William A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: O.C., SoCal
Posts: 398
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by stout View Post
Thanks, and don't worry, I'm calm and collected.

As a magazine editor or writer, you have to be when it comes to the forums. I might just be dumber than most editors for engaging in them—but I like forums and use them myself.
Pete, I appreciate your posts and comments in this thread. While we may not agree about the (past?) perception of Pano, going forward it will have your fingerprints on it and I hope for more of the improvements I have already seen.

Engaging with the passionate and opinionated 928 community here in this forum is greatly appreciated. I am sure you already have seen the tone change since you posted, kudos to you.

The story that I see that may be of great interest to all Porsche owners is this: The 928 was to replace the 911. That decision and ultimate rejection by Porsche buyers, doomed the 928 to be viewed as a failure rather than the road going triumph. Design, engineering, comfort, sportiness, quality, materials, safety, and performance: is there a peer produced by ANY marque during that time?

The misunderstood 928 is a fascinating story. And I believe Pano should be a champion of 928's as the flagship for 17 years, and all front engine, water cooled achievements 924, 944, 968 in addition to the iconic rear engine cars that made the brand.
William A is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Panorama praise for 928


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: