Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   What is it worth? 86' 928 (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/839935-what-is-it-worth-86-928-a.html)

tcsracing1 10-20-2014 11:27 PM

What is it worth? 86' 928

So folks, what is the going price for a 1986 928?
With a blown motor?

How hard is it to find another motor and what do they cost?

Ninjaxz750 10-20-2014 11:38 PM

Is that one question or two? If one: Way too little info for a shot at the cost because we don't know about the rest of the cars condition.

It would help with pictures of the 928 in question.

SteveG 10-21-2014 12:12 AM

$500. :icon107:

:evilgrin:You get what you give, as in info on the car you have in mind. Is it an 86.5?

Lots of motors out there. Ebay, CL. Personally, I would call Mark at 928 Interna'l. He probably has a range.

tcsracing1 10-21-2014 12:14 AM

2 Attachment(s)
^
the car is automatic, 230000kms.
Engine just died recently when traveling over construction bumps...

Put a price on it?
Sorry in advance if this car belongs to a fellow rennlister.
Car is local to me and i have a tendancy to hoard....

linderpat 10-21-2014 01:02 AM

from that shot, the car looks well worn. Front grill, and spoiler appear to be gone. Wonder if they bottomed out the oil pan and killed the motor due to running without oil.
A non runner with nothing else to go by other than those 2 pictures would be no more than $1.5 to $2 K (US) to me.

DonS 10-21-2014 01:32 PM

+ What he said.

Hobibill 10-21-2014 06:44 PM

but on the other hand, if you just lost a connection or ground to the construction bumps, it could be worth $1.5k- $2.0k US ;-)

Mark Anderson 10-21-2014 07:06 PM

We have a used motor for $1k

tcsracing1 10-21-2014 07:12 PM

Owner is asking $3000.00

What are these things worth running?

taylorgw 10-21-2014 09:47 PM

That car was advertised for $7,950 earlier this summer (prior to being a non-runner). If I recall correctly the original ad indicated the car came from Quebec 2-3 years ago, and it did not sound like there was any history with it.

Landseer 10-21-2014 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by tcsracing1 (Post 11741582)
Owner is asking $3000.00

What are these things worth running?

Running but not mechanically refreshed, about $2-3K, assuming worn but not trashed interior.

Mechanically refreshed, maybe 5K if decent cosmetics.

Moderately Complex to repair due to layers and layers and layers of tightly fitted parts. A mechanic has to memorize the choreography of the interfitment in order to be halfway efficient fixing them.

A 911 it isn't.

Lizard928 10-22-2014 02:52 AM

it is worth whatever you are willing to pay!

A very nice 86 will pull over $10k to the right buyer, where as one with a thrashed interior, and blown motor, with a bad paint job can be as little as $500.

Just keep in mind, there is no such thing as a cheap porsche and you will be fine.

If you do get the motor from Mark A, and reseal the top end, maybe PC the intake etc. you could have a nice runner for a decent amount. But if the amount to get that running exceeds the cost of a nice car in running condition with maintenance up to date. Then it would have been cheaper to get one in good mechanical and cosmetic condition.

SteveG 10-23-2014 12:25 AM

From the handle, I suspect the OP knows all costs associated with maint and buying the best you can afford. I will say there is one advantage to buying low, shoveling money into it and indenturing your body to it. You then know what has been done and that the ignition switch is not some knock off. If you are just putting together a track car, you may not care about that stuff and just want to be sure you don't overpay.

1980GS 10-25-2014 09:28 PM

I had a close look at this car today.

Looks as though it hit the ground, tore off the spoiler, scraped the undercarriage just behind the bumper, and the alternator dropped out!

The alternator was in the backseat along with the armrest from the driver side door panel. There was some damage caused when the alternator let go.

There were wires hanging on the ground, presumably had been attached to the alternator.

There was an oil leak, perhaps the oil cooler or lines were damaged?

Both front and rear bumpers need repair. Paint on the rear doesn't look like it matches the body but it was raining so hard to tell for sure.

Rear spoiler is not fitting correctly, although the hatch doesn't look too far out of alignment.

The seats are leather but there is a hole/tear on the drivers seat with a very poor patch over the damage. All the electrical switches look as though they are broken from their bezels. Aftermarket stereo installed, speaker wires visible, speaker covers missing. Motor for driver side window reportedly doesn't work. The interior is not so good, well worn is being nice.

Engine bay could be cleaner. Air intake hoses are cracked. Doesn't look like maintenance is a priority, dirty, oily,

A few of the tires are almost flat, not much tread left. It has Porsche brake callipers. Automatic transmission. Appears to have not been driven in winter.

Owner claims it is an S4 but it is a 1986, VIN is WPOJB0926GS861930. Can anyone share more info from the VIN? I understand that later 1986 models did receive some changes.

I'm thinking it is worth $500? comments please?

Adamant1971 10-25-2014 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by 1980GS (Post 11752271)
I had a close look at this car today.

Looks as though it hit the ground, tore off the spoiler, scraped the undercarriage just behind the bumper, and the alternator dropped out!

The alternator was in the backseat along with the armrest from the driver side door panel. There was some damage caused when the alternator let go.

There were wires hanging on the ground, presumably had been attached to the alternator.

There was an oil leak, perhaps the oil cooler or lines were damaged?

Both front and rear bumpers need repair. Paint on the rear doesn't look like it matches the body but it was raining so hard

Rear spoiler is not fitting correctly, although the hatch doesn't look too far out of alignment.

The seats are leather but there is a hole/tear on the drivers seat with a very poor patch over the damage. All the electrical switches look as though they are broken from their bezels. Aftermarket stereo installed, speaker wires visible. Motor for driver side window reportedly doesn't work. The interior is not so nice, well worn is being nice.

Engine bay could be cleaner. Air intake hoses are cracked.

A few of the tires are almost flat, not much tread left. It has Porsche brake callipers. Automatic transmission. Appears to have not been driven in winter.

Owner claims it is an S4 but it is a 1986, VIN is WPOJB0926Gs861930. Can anyone share more info from the VIN? I understand that later 1986 models did receive some changes.

I'm thinking it is worth $500? comments please?

It's an 86.5, basically an S3 but with S4 suspension and brakes.

And $500 seems about right.