Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   GT gearlock spring question?? (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/83976-gt-gearlock-spring-question.html)

John Veninger 08-21-2003 05:29 PM

First suspicion is that I'm the first documented case of the reverse lockout falling where it DOES lock something up. <sigh>
Hope not :(
Good luck.

Steve Cattaneo 08-22-2003 09:43 PM

David,

You could be in two gears at the same time, remove the top cover when you have the transmission out, put all three shift forks in neutral, middle position between the gears; move one fork into the gear; you should not be able to move the other two forks, if you can one of the shift lock out coil spring is broke. Different spring then the shift operating spring.

Earl,
Is there a picture of the spring you mention, the operating spring is a flat piece of metal and the shift lock out spring is a coil spring.

:cheers:

Earl Gillstrom 08-22-2003 11:07 PM

Steve,

I thought I saved the piece, but can't find it. From memory, it is flat with a slightly bent end. About 1" long 1/8" wide and .020 thick.

Nobby Shark 08-27-2003 10:58 AM

Earl,

That flat piece about an inch long with the bend on the end is the bit that came out of my box on the drain plug.
No the car is driving and back on the road (originally an engine problem not gearbox) I can test the gears etc.

Basically this is the story now.
I can't shift from 1st to reverse directly,,, it sends or directs me to 2nd. Ok so far,,,,,,, the rest of the up the gearbox shifts seem fine. I can shift from 3rd to reverse though on the way back down,,,,,,,, is this correct or is there always a lockout on the box while moving forward???

Steve,

When you say "Operating spring" what do you mean or what does this do???

Finally,,,,,, now the car is again on the road,,,,,, my drive train seems noisey,,,,, actually when I turn a tight U turn or more than 90 degrees I get a drivetrain noise from the rear,,,, anyone had this,,,,, now aht this could be ???? I'm sure the two things are not related but I have never been near my gearbox except change the oil. Any thoughts.

Regards,,,,

Oh, I was going to post a picture of the bit mentioned,,,,,, but I'm still looking for it under the piles of tools in my dads garage,,,,,,,

Gretch 08-27-2003 11:30 AM

"I can't shift from 1st to reverse directly,,, it sends or directs me to 2nd. Ok so far,,,,,,, the rest of the up the gearbox shifts seem fine. I can shift from 3rd to reverse though on the way back down,,,,,,,, is this correct or is there always a lockout on the box while moving forward??? "

The lockout is from first to reverse, your shifter works the way it is suppose to.......

Nobby Shark 08-27-2003 11:54 AM

Gretch,

What does the piece removed from the gearbox do then,,,, ???

Gretch 08-27-2003 12:03 PM

That, I don't have an answer to. I only know you are not suppose to be able to go directly from 1st to reverse gear........

I just went back and read the whole thread. Based on your answers to previous questions, you have all the functionality that Wally and I and others have mentioned. Sounds like what ever is broken in the gear case MAY be of minor import.

I suggest you start a new thread on the subject of gear case rebuilds to get the attention of folks who have actually gone into the gear case and seen the various parts. You might get to the answer sooner....

Good luck.

Nobby Shark 08-27-2003 12:26 PM

Gretch and others,

Appreciate it,,, its always good.

I'm pleased so many people love these cars.

If anyone else comes up with anything on this broken piece I will be very greatful. I will start a new thread as suggested.

Regards, Nobby.

David Schmidt 09-02-2003 02:59 AM

Originally posted by Steve Cattaneo
David,

You could be in two gears at the same time, remove the top cover when you have the transmission out, put all three shift forks in neutral, middle position between the gears; move one fork into the gear; you should not be able to move the other two forks, if you can one of the shift lock out coil spring is broke. Different spring then the shift operating spring.

:cheers:

Steve,

I'm now glad I didn't see your reply until I'd looked at things myself. Your diagnosis was correct as far as the transmission being in two gears at once, or rather it was ALWAYS in first, and could also go into fourth and fifth and be in two gears at once.

I was able to "fix" the first gear problem, but from your description I still have some work to do to fix the real problem to make sure this doesn't happen again as soon as I put things together.

Check out http://www.tower-mt.com/928-Transmission.html for pictures and my initial "fix". I didn't realize that there is a shift lockout, so that is obviously still a problem because if I understand you I shouldn't be able to shift in and out of fourth while first is engaged. Can you give me an idea of my next step to finding this broken spring and fixing it?

Further information, the 2/3 lockout does work. I cannot move the 2/3 shift fork while the R/1 is in first gear, but 4/5 does engage. The 2/3 fork will also not move when 4/5 gears are engaged (after I freed the R/1 fork).

Sounds like I should open it up again and do some more diagnosis on this.