Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   86 - where is the low pressure a/c connection point? (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/818300-86-where-is-the-low-pressure-a-c-connection-point.html)

neilh 06-03-2014 05:17 PM

86 - where is the low pressure a/c connection point?

Title says it all, the high pressure connection up front is obvious, but where is the low pressure fitting on a 32v 86 engine? I can see it fine on my 81 and 84!

SeanR 06-03-2014 05:20 PM

Directly under the upper radiator hose under the jump post. Passenger front side.

WallyP 06-03-2014 05:33 PM

"Directly under the 195 degree upper radiator hose under the jump post. Passenger front side."

Fixed it for ya'.

WallyP 06-03-2014 05:33 PM

Deleted - duplicate post. No idea why...

SeanR 06-03-2014 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by WallyP (Post 11414737)
"Directly under the 195 degree upper radiator hose under the jump post. Passenger front side."

Fixed it for ya'.

Oh so very true.

Here's the one on an 86.5 I'm working on today.

https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...64226428_n.jpg

dr bob 06-03-2014 06:14 PM

With all the heat involved, --charge the system with the engine off and cold--. Do you know now how much refrigerant you'll be adding? Are you using the little cans? If yes to these, you can transfer the refrigerant as liquid in minutes, provided the engine is off and the system hasn't been heated at all. Like first-thing-in-the-morning not heated yet. Connect the hose from the can to the port, purge the line of air by cracking the fitting at the can end for a bit. Close that, and open the chasrging valve on the can with the can upside-down, valve at the bottom. Warm th can slightly by wrapping it with your hands. In a minute or less, all the refrigerant will transfer from the can to the car. Like Magic! No burned arms, no muss no fuss. Let the car sit a few minutes as you put your tools away before starting it and running the AC. And don't forget to fix your leaks!

Whitesands 06-03-2014 06:41 PM

I'll try it cold next time, thanks Dr Bob.

Is there anyway to extend the port so that filling it hot is possible, my 88S4 is a you know what to get to?

neilh 06-03-2014 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by SeanR (Post 11414747)
Oh so very true.

Here's the one on an 86.5 I'm working on today.

https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...64226428_n.jpg

Nice pic, thanks Sean... and Wally and Dr B for their input.....

M. Requin 06-03-2014 09:28 PM

Where only a very anal engineer could put it...

dr bob 06-03-2014 09:38 PM

Whitesands, there have been a few examples of where folks have made an extension with copper tubing. I'm not a fan. The copper work-hardens due to viibration and eventually cracks, plus you get to either remove the schraeder valve in the existing port or figure a way to have the adapter depress the existing one. Just too man places to have leaks. But that circles us back to something else.

---

How often do you folks need to get to that charge fitting? More often than maybe once every NN years? If it's more than that, find out where the leaks are and fix them before you waste more refrigerant. If it were engine oil pourng out on the floor, would you just keep adding oil regularly and let the oil lake grow on the floor?

Bertrand Daoust 06-03-2014 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by dr bob (Post 11414835)
With all the heat involved, --charge the system with the engine off and cold--. Do you know now how much refrigerant you'll be adding? Are you using the little cans? If yes to these, you can transfer the refrigerant as liquid in minutes, provided the engine is off and the system hasn't been heated at all. Like first-thing-in-the-morning not heated yet. Connect the hose from the can to the port, purge the line of air by cracking the fitting at the can end for a bit. Close that, and open the chasrging valve on the can with the can upside-down, valve at the bottom. Warm th can slightly by wrapping it with your hands. In a minute or less, all the refrigerant will transfer from the can to the car. Like Magic! No burned arms, no muss no fuss. Let the car sit a few minutes as you put your tools away before starting it and running the AC. And don't forget to fix your leaks!

Thank you very much dr Bob.
That's exactly what I was looking for.
I need to recharge mine and wasn't sure how to do it.

Does this hose kit would be good to do the job?
R12 R22 FREON REFRIGERANT RECHARGE CAN TAPPER HOSE KIT

I have two cans of R-12 but no hose.
Thanks again. :thumbup:

MjRocket 06-03-2014 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bertrand Daoust (Post 11415332)

Does this hose kit would be good to do the job?
R12 R22 FREON REFRIGERANT RECHARGE CAN TAPPER HOSE KIT

I have two cans of R-12 but no hose.
Thanks again. :thumbup:

Bertrand

That's exactly what you want, just ordered one myself last week.

Worked great!

dr bob 06-04-2014 01:15 AM

That will do it. Make sure you actually have pressure in the system before you start adding anything. A local owner here was asking about adding gas "just to get by" but the system is so depleted that it has air in it now. If you have less than maybe 25 PSI in it sitting, it's possible it drew air in during a hot/cold ambinet temp cycle. A system with air in it won't get below 50º or so, and risks serious acid damage in the evaporator if you run it with air and even a little moisture in it for long.

I still recommend fixing the leaks. Kind of like JB's "relay-relay-relay" mantra, but for AC.

Whitesands 06-04-2014 01:34 AM

Dr Bob, I guess the extension idea is not worth persuing and like you say, how often do you need to go in there.

Bertrand Daoust 06-04-2014 07:49 AM

Thanks guys.