Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   New Owner 1988 S4 5 speed (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/795130-new-owner-1988-s4-5-speed.html)

wpgshark 01-12-2014 11:21 PM

New Owner 1988 S4 5 speed

My son and I bought this one.

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...91k-miles.html

I've lusted over the 928s since I turned 18 in 1978. My son who recently turned 18 has grown to appreciate them as well. We saw this one on Ebay and decided to take a flier on it, it was a 5 speed and in Canada so why not. Probably not the best way to buy a car, but we do our own work, and it wasn't a large investment.

I would have posted earlier but really didn't have much to say until now.

First we had all kinds of transportation troubles. I'm in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada which is North Of North Dakota. By time the car got here in late November, it was caked in salt and grime from 2,000 miles of salted highways and several storms. We got it here managed to get it to the car wash to get the top of the car clean, windshield cracked when we put the defroster on, pushed it up the street to get it into the garage, 3" of snow is too much for summer tiers with no LSD.

After we got it home the weather immediately dropped to the -20-30s F my garage heater is OK to 10 or so, so working on it wasn't going to be fun. We had one mildish day in the third week of December so we jacked the car up and pressure washed the bottom to get as much of the salt and grime off as we could, considering the water was still freezing to the garage floor.

Finally warmed up this weekend 20-30s F so we had an opportunity to do some more.

First observations the car looks to be in really good shape.

Interior leather has been redone, pod has one small crack, some wear on the drivers seat, two stains that are going to be tough, one on the rear glove box lid and the other on the leather inside the left rear quarter glass. We cleaned it up and put some leather conditioner today.

With the exception of the left fender mentioned in the listing the body looks really good, very little evidence of being driven in salt, a few bolts and attachments are mildly corroded but that can happen with just moisture over 25 years. The front air dam is cracked and it doesn't have a belly pan, but it does have the brackets.

Mechanically it looks to be in really good shape. The work that the PO did appears to have been done, fuel lines and vacuum lines have been changed at some point, transmission appears to shift reasonably crispy, and clutch and engine seemed OK for the short trip from the yard to the garage in inclement weather. The sunroof doesn't work, the alternator is making some noise and the hatch doesn't work.

Electrically there are some gremlins, and we'll be starting with the grounds and the fuse box.

The car already has a RMD, but no other modifications are for certain. The shifter leaver appears to be short but I don't know if this is shorter than stock.

Tires are in good shape. So to answer the question on the previous form, I believe I got a good deal even with the $1,100 in shipping and the broken windshield.

We haven't yet decided what this car will be when it is finished, initially we'll try to make sure everything is right before we begin upgrades, it isn't a daily driver, so there is a lot we can do with it.

I've attached some pictures. As based on what I've read in the forum they are nearly required.

We have 5 Volvos one of which is still a project, we've found Volvospeed to be most helpful and it looks like this forum will be as well.

I look forward to sharing the stories on this car and continuing to enjoy the stories on all of yours.

Lance

1998 Volvo V70 GLT
1999 Volvo C70 convert
2001 Ford Excursion Ltd V10
2001 VW New Beetle TDI
2004 Volvo S60 R 6 spd
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
2008 Volvo S60 T5

Attachment 796426

Attachment 796427

Attachment 796428

Attachment 796429

Attachment 796430

NickT 01-13-2014 07:11 AM

Welcome to the shark tank.

Nice to see another 88 5 spd :)

Leon Speed 01-13-2014 07:28 AM

Welkome! Love the color and interior. The car looks to be in good shape, although it looks like somebody butchered the under carriage. Are the jack pads still there or are they crushed as well?

davek9 01-13-2014 04:29 PM

Welcome! Nice shark :)

Dave K

deutschmick 01-13-2014 04:39 PM

Welcome!

I used to have a 2004 S60 R 6 speed as well (my son has it now). Great car and the most comfortable front seats I've ever encountered. My 928 seats are a close second.

The 928 is a great car, enjoy!

Barry Chan 01-13-2014 07:42 PM

Welcome, very nice interior and the engine bay looks clean!

Koenig-Specials 928 01-13-2014 09:31 PM

Congratulations and welcome

Dean_Fuller 01-13-2014 10:38 PM

Love the interior.

wpgshark 01-13-2014 11:12 PM

Thanks to everyone.

In no particular order

It appears to me that the jack pad has been crushed, it is tight with the body and has a piece of metal that was probably once a support parallel to the base.

Any advise on how to jack this car and put jack stands on it would be appreciated. The Volvo,s have both jack points and jack stand points tough to mess up. The beetle has a jack point and if you hit it just right you can get a stand under it, miss it and you dent the rocker panel, most beetles have dented rocker panels.

When assessing the 928 the seat rails, , would have yelled out to be stand locations, if it weren't for the dents already there I looked this up in the forum after seeing the damage, and was somewhat comforted to see that it wasn't uncommon or as serious as many others. Anyway I have a standard floor jack and 3 different sizes of jack stands, the orange ones are the middle size.

Like I said recommendations on jack points and stand points are more than welcome.

The color has grown on me, I had an 81 Scirocco in close to the same color, loved that car, maybe a little baggage. The interior looks amazing in person, except for the 2 mentioned stains and the wear on the back of the drivers seat, the damage on the drivers seat actually looks like an abrasion, as if someone had something on a belt, it's not a rip so it can be fixed.

My son drives the R my daughter the S40, always interesting to hear the argument on who has the best cars. I find all Volvo seats comfortable, but if I had to choose I'd go with the seats that were in the 1998 C70 coupe my son had before the R, tested the Volvo safety on an icy valley road, The bolsters weren't as nice as the R, but IMHO the addition of the whips system in 1999 reduced the upper shoulder comfort.

Thanks again

Leon Speed 01-14-2014 08:28 AM

The jack point you're using in the picture is the correct location. It should have a bracket parallel to the body - obviously crushed here. There are four jack points, each behind the front wheel and before the rear wheel. Check the other ones to see what they should look like.

Some people have made a cover for their jack stand so it fits snugly in to the jack point bracket. Or, go the extra mile and order these specially made: http://www.liftbars.com

I sometimes use the rear cross bar (not the transmission pan!) to jack up the rear of the car and use flat jack stands.

928cs 01-14-2014 11:12 AM

Could-you, please, take a picture of the color code sticker?

Nice car with a certainly unique inside (code 98).

SteveG 01-14-2014 11:33 AM

http://www.928motorsports.com/parts/...points_944.php

I can't tell from you photos which jackpoints are crushed. These might be what you need, if the round pockets near the rocker panel is what is crushed on yours. My rails were slightly deformed; I "squeezed" the rail back into its orig dimensions with a "C" clamp and blocks of wood so the pictured brackets would slip over the rail.

Just the beginning . . ..

Welcome.

17prospective buyer 01-14-2014 11:39 AM

Rear cross member is factory recommended. There's 4 corners that are pretty damn obvious lift points, don't see how hard that is to f up. That engine bay is just how mine looked when i got it. So innocent and unassuming, oh the naievity.

kmascotto 01-14-2014 02:49 PM

Welcome! you picked a great car...and your in the best Shark-Think-Tank there is.

Gunmetal 01-14-2014 08:42 PM

You picked the best car and the best year :)

1988 s4 Auto ROW black/black West Australia