Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Heads and Gaskets guidance (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/774101-heads-and-gaskets-guidance.html)

LazerSquid 09-01-2013 03:32 PM

Also, this car WAS solid running except for the transmission leak.. It makes me so sick to my stomach because I'm the one that did this...

If it ain't broke, I'll fix it 'til it is

MainePorsche 09-01-2013 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by LazerSquid (Post 10727879)
I bought it for $1000 without a title. I'm halfway through the process of having a title granted to me by the state, so maybe that could help. How much would it be worth? My dream is to own a 5spd version...

The damage isn't to bad. I do understand a 1000 is a lot for a college student.
You will get a 5 spd.
I don't think it will be this one.

Imo000 09-01-2013 03:52 PM

If only want to get it back to running right for now then only replace the blown head gasket and leave everything else alone. Deal with the intake refresh and everything else when you have more money. With lots of elbow grease and couple hunded $$$ you can get it back to running again.

LazerSquid 09-01-2013 06:11 PM

What I really want to do it get it running and reliably drivable for now, and slowly refresh things in the drivetrain and interior as money is available, and in 6 years when I get my M.D. I'll drop it off at porsche and have it made perfect. That's how it would work in my perfect world.

MainePorsche 09-01-2013 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by LazerSquid (Post 10728155)
What I really want to do it get it running and reliably drivable for now, and slowly refresh things in the drivetrain and interior as money is available, and in 6 years when I get my M.D. I'll drop it off at porsche and have it made perfect. That's how it would work in my perfect world.

Lazer,
A little off topic, but in 6 years when you get your MD you'll have at least a Residency ahead of you and will have little time and little money. My graduation year was 1990.

LazerSquid 09-01-2013 08:28 PM

And after residency I plan on fellowship. I'm trying to become a cardio-thoracic surgeon. So in all I have 18 years of school left, but I'll be able to afford fixing my car sooner than that hopefully.

j.kenzie@sbcglobal.net 09-01-2013 10:31 PM

Hi Lazer,
I've been a surgeon for 35 years. I still fix my 928 because nobody else near me would do a good job. Also, CVT surgery is a dying trade. I would look elsewhere within medicine for developing fields.
Best of luck to you and PM me if I can be of any help.
Dave

Imo000 09-01-2013 10:40 PM

Specialize in breast implants and you'll be rich in no time. :)

j.kenzie@sbcglobal.net 09-01-2013 10:58 PM

Breast implant surgery is very competitive. You will not be 'rich" unless you are one of the best in the field. Most of medicine is highly regulated for the benefit of our paternalistic government. I did not advise either of my children to go into medicine. It has become a nightmare.
Sorry, I am even more sorry that nobody good will be there to take care of me when I need it,
Dave

Imo000 09-01-2013 11:02 PM

I meant my comment with a good dose of sarchasm. :)

MainePorsche 09-01-2013 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by j.kenzie@sbcglobal.net (Post 10728712)
Breast implant surgery is very competitive. You will not be 'rich" unless you are one of the best in the field. Most of medicine is highly regulated for the benefit of our paternalistic government. I did not advise either of my children to go into medicine. It has become a nightmare.
Sorry, I am even more sorry that nobody good will be there to take care of me when I need it,
Dave

I did the same. My daughter is a high school senior and she wants to be a doc. It is a noble profession but living and working in it has become... well let's say disenchanting and complicated.

j.kenzie@sbcglobal.net 09-01-2013 11:17 PM

Hi Imo,
I understood. The general public might not see the flaw, however. That is why I clarified.
Dave

MainePorsche 09-01-2013 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by j.kenzie@sbcglobal.net (Post 10728646)
Hi Lazer,
I've been a surgeon for 35 years. I still fix my 928 because nobody else near me would do a good job. Also, CVT surgery is a dying trade. I would look elsewhere within medicine for developing fields.
Best of luck to you and PM me if I can be of any help.
Dave

This, and more importantly it is my pastime and diversion.

dr bob 09-02-2013 01:38 AM

So I'm OK calling the 928 some kind of masochistic 'therapy'? That's my story, yer 'onner.

MainePorsche 09-02-2013 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by dr bob (Post 10728977)
So I'm OK calling the 928 some kind of masochistic 'therapy'? That's my story, yer 'onner.

No dr bob, not masochistic. Kind of an affirming of one's ability to make it right regardless of the challenges faced kinda thing.