Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Don't Ban me - why not an after market radiator? (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/760857-dont-ban-me-why-not-an-after-market-radiator.html)

ROG100 06-12-2013 05:32 PM

Sorry I was "so harsh" and I updated the information to better reflect the success of the all aluminium rad ---

A number of Devek rads failed after a few years - all years
I believe Mark had similar issues with some of his radiators - all years - 8% failure rate
Carl was selling Mark's rads up until about three years ago - approx.
Carl sold a new rad - 6 known failures
Carl now sells a newer new rad - time will tell!!! But do not worry it has a two year warranty (commendable).
Current failure rate about 15%

That is a little more accurate.

GregBBRD 06-12-2013 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by ROG100 (Post 10533675)
Only a 15% failure rate - very successful indeed - well done!!

Better than normal, obviously.

Otherwise, why make such a big deal out of it?

danglerb 06-12-2013 05:46 PM

I wonder what happened in the radiator business, seems like nobody good is left, or not many. When I looked for another Modine for my Mustang I think they were dropping the automotive market for the most part to make industrial heat exchangers.

San Onofre is going to cost out the yin yang and I best nobody even has a guess at how to close it or what it will eventually cost. They should have fixed it, speaking as a rate tier 4 customer.

mickster 06-12-2013 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by danglerb (Post 10533732)
I wonder what happened in the radiator business, seems like nobody good is left, or not many. When I looked for another Modine for my Mustang I think they were dropping the automotive market for the most part to make industrial heat exchangers.

San Onofre is going to cost out the yin yang and I best nobody even has a guess at how to close it or what it will eventually cost. They should have fixed it, speaking as a rate tier 4 customer.

China probably...

Speedtoys 06-12-2013 07:10 PM

The reason many things are cheap today, and teal quality costs SO MUCH, is the same reason nobody makes a lifetime light bulb.

There's no money in it.

Bjbpe 06-12-2013 08:01 PM

My radiator started leaking about ten years ago. Brought it to a local shade-tree mechanic. He put it inthe capable hands of the local Laramie radiator shop. They fixed it. No problems since. Admitedly, I dont wind the engine up to 6000+ rpm; old age does that to some people.

Bill51sdr 06-12-2013 08:48 PM

I've got a C & R I finally gave up on after 2 years. I found a brand new Behr online for @ $700 (the site's last one) and that sealed the fate of the C & R. It is sitting in my garage collecting dust as I debate repairing it to sell it or to try to sell it as-is. It has a "typical" tank seal leak.

jwillman 06-12-2013 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by jcb928 (Post 10529281)
FYI,

I tried to buy one of those Radiators last year,

"Buy Auto Parts <Sales@buyautoparts.com>
6/5/12

Hello,

Thank you for your order.

While processing your order, we have come across an issue. Please give us a call so we may discuss with you in further detail how to proceed. Anyone who answers will be able to help you.

Thank you,
Danny
1-888-907-7225"

Issue was they did not have the Radiator.

Turns out to be same story just a year later.

They still don't have them. Makes you wonder why it is listed!

SeanR 06-12-2013 09:59 PM

Glad I bought a Behr a few months ago after reading this thread. I've been through a Devek and two rebuilt Behrs. Hope it lasts a decade.

GregBBRD 06-12-2013 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by SeanR (Post 10534278)
Glad I bought a Behr a few months ago after reading this thread. I've been through a Devek and two rebuilt Behrs. Hope it lasts a decade.

If anyone can solve the problem, Roger will.

His "problem solving" ability, with suppliers, is fantastic.

He probably already knows the name of the CEO's wife, at Behr....and what they had for dinner, last night.

Amazing guy!

MjRocket 06-12-2013 10:34 PM

Nothing to add to the Radiator topic, However I must ring in and Agree that Roger is the ABSOLUTE BEST person I have ever had the Pleasure to do bussiness with on anything 928 related!! :)

Carl Fausett 06-13-2013 10:22 AM

I'll post my accurate numbers, although I am sure Roger will make fun of them again. I said "more than 40" which he took to mean "40". As that served his point, I'm not surprised.

I wrote my manufacturer for our actual numbers and got this back this morning:

I don't have 100% accurate numbers from the beginning but last year and so far this year you have bought 71. I would guess you have done at least 250 total rads since 2009.
250 sold with 6 warranty repairs = a 2% failure rate. Note also our radiators have been in the field since 2009.

For Mark, he posts 284 radiators with 12 returns, for a 4% failure rate. And his rads have been in the field longer than mine!

As I said before - I wouldn't be so quick to state that after-market radiators are "failures" with stats like these.

Courtshark 06-13-2013 10:30 AM

Another thing to consider... how old are those Behr rads that are "new"? Reminds me of something a Porsche tech said to me recently. Paraphrasing here, but it was along the lines of "sure you can buy a 'new' part from Porsche for your 25 year old car, but how long has it been sitting on the shelf drying out?" He called it "old new old stock." ONOS. As in, oh no, I'm going to have to replace this part under warranty.

Plastic, with age, gets brittle, regardless of whether it's in a box and not on a car. That concerns me. I'm giving Carl's rad a shot here shortly (just waiting on my bro to decide whether to join me). I like my odds based on those stats he just posted.

Hai gebissen 06-13-2013 10:34 AM

Do Behr Porsche radiators have manufacture date codes on them like the plastic-tanked radiators I deal with on Saabs have?

I would look at mine right now...except my car doesn't have a radiator!

MjRocket 06-13-2013 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Courtshark (Post 10535221)
Another thing to consider... how old are those Behr rads that are "new"? Reminds me of something a Porsche tech said to me recently. Paraphrasing here, but it was along the lines of "sure you can buy a 'new' part from Porsche for your 25 year old car, but how long has it been sitting on the shelf drying out?" He called it "old new old stock." ONOS. As in, oh no, I'm going to have to replace this part under warranty.

Plastic, with age, gets brittle, regardless of whether it's in a box and not on a car. That concerns me. I'm giving Carl's rad a shot here shortly (just waiting on my bro to decide whether to join me). I like my odds based on those stats he just posted.

This makes you think, kinda scares me as to weather I'll be able to keep my 928 running 10 years from now do to a lack of parts. :(