Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   tree sap !!! (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/759302-tree-sap.html)

andy-gts 06-01-2013 05:56 PM

tree sap !!!

wow , never got tree sap on paint before but now ....I know to watch out...

cleaned it with goof off then griiots garage buffer and polish....switched to finesseII then filler on top with sealant ....man that stuff is not only hard to get off but the grit stuck in the sap makes it like sand paper....my mistake!!!!

Zaino is the the sealant....but I was an idiot to scrub with goof off . the dust in the sap really scratched the paint....

too embarressed to show pics....ughh!!:crying:

Mike Simard 06-01-2013 07:40 PM

Once I picked up my car from a carwash, got a drop of tree sap and went running back like the car was hopelessly scarred for life.

They simply wiped it off with some alcohol.

17prospective buyer 06-01-2013 07:51 PM

I hate tree sap, it ruins paint. Just use a paint safe solvent like All Sol, we use Car Brite products at our dealership and they work great. No issues. Hell even acetone might work, never used acetone on paint before though, pretty sure it softens paint but might work since it's so volatile that it flashes off instantly.

jheis 06-01-2013 08:01 PM

Had my cars parked near what I think are a variatal of the sycamore tree.

Unbeknownst to me the trees were dripping sap - which then sat in the sun for a couple of days and turned into something like amber. Had to use a razor blade to get it off.

17prospective buyer 06-01-2013 08:09 PM

Using a razor blade on paint is a little bit like playing Russian roulette.

danglerb 06-01-2013 11:17 PM

We have no choice on wife's Lincoln, all the parking on our street has overhanging pine trees that get trimmed twice a year and ooze non stop and leave clear blobs that aren't the easy to see that dry into yellow rock. I use a plastic scraper followed with Turtle Wax bug/tar/sap remover. Griots makes a sap remover IIRC, but I like to wait until I have a batch of stuff to order at the same time, so never get around to it. Whatever you do or use I think needs to be focused on each blob, not the area, and go for maximum removal prior to smushing it around.

Not sure what caused it, but all the cars in the area go hit with tiny specks of what looks a little like sap, but much harder to remove on the windshields. None of the usual goop treatments even bothered it, so I had to razor blade the whole windshield, but that ended up working fine.

Mrmerlin 06-02-2013 12:39 AM

you may also have aphids that are living on the undersides of the leaves,
they will have droppings that resemble sap, still a pain to remove,

keep the finish waxed to prevent further damage

Jon B. 06-02-2013 11:27 AM

3m Adhesive remover works really well from my experience with pine sap. I'm fairly sure it's like using acetone.

19psi 06-02-2013 12:46 PM

I have quite a few pine trees on my property including one near a parking area off my driveway. Even with keeping the branches well trimmed, my company Ford E350 gets covered, especially after high winds.

I've found only two things that work. Plain old rubbing alcohol or OFF Mosquito repellent. Doesn't matter if it's fresh or dried up like hard plastic, it dissolves with little effort. Commercial products designed for tar/sap removal, acetone, polishes, WD40 etc. never made a dent. Although WD40 is my first and only choice for tar removal.

Never had sap damage my paint. I've had spots dry up for months and once removed had no discoloration or etching. Although it is a modern clear coat paint.

depami 06-02-2013 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by 19psi (Post 10507387)
I have quite a few pine trees on my property including one near a parking area off my driveway. Even with keeping the branches well trimmed, my company Ford E350 gets covered, especially after high winds. ........... Never had sap damage my paint.......

Pine sap is usually harmless but try parking under a black walnut for an extended period .... you'll be needing a paint job then.

voskian 06-02-2013 01:45 PM

With all the hot weather in the northeast, the trees are dripping sap and I just noticed globs on my wife's BMW. Used Tarminator bug/tar/sap remover and a micro fiber cloth and after three shots and wipe inbetween, all came off.

I told her not to park under the tree anymore!!!

Bob