Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Why a 928 ? (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/758410-why-a-928-a.html)

928Myles 05-27-2013 04:10 PM

I bought mine because it was the best performance car I could buy for the money.

Anything else even remotely comparable was FAR too expensive for me. Interestingly most of them have lost a lot more value over the time I have owned my 928 and are now worth less.

Also - my wife likes it (although she doesn't like driving in general).

Myles

Fsharp9 05-27-2013 04:14 PM

It's something I felt the first time I saw one back in my youth, I can't explain the attraction. It's like a Swiss Army knife to me. It can do it all !

Rod Handsfield 05-27-2013 04:35 PM

I was not a 928 fan when they were new - they seemed too big, too soft and looked too much like a streamlined pumpkin seed. I had Corvettes, a 911 Cabrio and an NSX during the day. As I matured, so did my tastes. My appreciation for the 928's design was complete by the early 2000's - whereas its contemporaries (think Ferrari Testa Rossa) looked dated and silly, 928's still looked good, actually even better to my eyes than when new. I bought my first S4 in 2004 - I had neither driven nor ridden in one for more than a decade. It took a while for me to appreciate the totalness of the design brilliance of the 928 - it seemed too solid and easy to drive at first. I've definitely fallen in love with the 928 and I'm now on my third (Rod's Euro). Consider me smitten.

rgs944 05-27-2013 05:03 PM

Great performance, great looks, uniique, good fuel economy for a classic car, and also very pratical for a supercar. I believe it really is the car of our lifetime. We will never see another car produced that makes such a bold statement for its time period.

Gueedokillerpimp 05-27-2013 05:09 PM

I bought mine because I think it's the sexiest car ever created.

Mongo 05-27-2013 05:29 PM

Got mine from my Dad. The car will be a hand down to my children and their children; a permanent home in my family till the end of time.

Dutch 928 fan 05-27-2013 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Fsharp9 (Post 10493721)
It's something I felt the first time I saw one back in my youth, I can't explain the attraction. It's like a Swiss Army knife to me. It can do it all !

Same here. When it came out I was about 8 years old. It was like a UFO from another world had landed. The round rear and integrated bumper with recessed lights did it. Remember most other cars on the road back then in Europe were small three-box type saloons, had about 50hp, chrome bumpers and boring light units. The 928 was just unlike anything on the roads before (and after).

Red Flash 05-27-2013 05:54 PM

About 15 years ago, I was sitting in a sauna with a rather uninformed European friend, who told me about 928s being something like "the perfection of an American muscle car." That stayed in the back of my mind, and as soon as my then classic car was rendered unuseable I started to look for a new car and the idea of the 928 was investigated.

Proved to be the right choice for me for a number of reasons: 1) great chassis and handling 2) great styling 3) loved the the way GT V8s are tuned and 4) sound great with an RMB (better than anything else I have heard anyway) 5) finally a very pecuilar mix between luxury car and race car... :-)

There is also something that is really polarizing about the car that I like as well, but this in no way factored into the purchase decision.

The Forgotten On 05-27-2013 07:01 PM

I've wanted one ever since I saw one. A man who lives around 5 miles from me has a collection of them and I instantly fell in love with the shape. Soon after that it was time for me to get a first car:burnout:. I had a small budget of around $2500 to buy a car with. The thought of the 928 stuck around in my head and added it to the cars I would look for. Then while I was searching I found one ( and 1981 U.S spec with no sun roof:thumbsup:) on craigslist in Los Angeles California near where I live, so I went to check it out and decided this was the car. I bought it had it towed to my home and began to source parts from parts cars and online sites. It sat for 11 years before I began to work on it. I got it to fire up and idle nicely the day I got it and manged to put it back on the road in 4 months and it has been my DD ever since.

jheis 05-27-2013 10:05 PM

I read an article in Road & Track (forget what year) that was headlined something like "Five Exotics you can buy for $15,000." The cars were the Mercedes 350/450SL, Jag XJS, BMW 6 series coupe, 928, and I forget what else.

That sparked the interest and I ought to myself, "you can do that." I started started looking for a 928. I eventually found a platinum metallic '82 5 speed with the "competition package" and only 43k miles. Although I wanted an S4, after a test drive, I was hooked. I told myself "self, you can live with this." Bought the car in '94.

Brought it back to life in '02 after it was "totaled" when I was rear-ended by a Ford Contour at a stop light. Still have it after 19 years of faithful service. About two years ago it gained a stable mate when I added a '89 S4 5 speed to the fleet. Can't say that I mind the extra #100 hp;)

James

jbrob007 05-27-2013 10:49 PM

Never thought I'd ever be able to afford a Porsche... much less a 928S. Turned 50 and had an opportunity to get an 86 GPW from Florida. Turned out to be an 86.5 (I had no clue of the significance) with two tone, all leather, interior and 5 Speed with only 41K on the ticker from two owners... At $11,300 I don't know of ANY car that even comes close... I mean what can you get for $12K... NOT MUCH. While my car is far from perfect, has had its share of front end curb collisions & some paint to a few panels by previous owner, its gorgeous from 10 feet and handles like its on rails... I've since spent another $6K (for a total of $18K) to get all the maintenance up to par and she is as reliable any car today. Can anyone find, much less buy, another Super Car for $18K...? I've put another 35K miles on her in a little over two years. Not a hint of trouble including trips to KY, TN, MS, IN, MI, NJ, VI, WV, MA, including a 120 mph ROMP to Frenzy 16 (Wash D.C.) over two hours on I-65 and passing in 5th gear on a 6% grade (uphill) through the Smoky Mountains.

Like the old saying goes... THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE!

worf928 05-27-2013 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by depami (Post 10493593)
Because it's a 928.

Either you get it, or you don't.

It can't be explained.

^this!

I've owned (still own some) and have driven many cars that on paper are "better" than a 928. None of them put a smile on my face like the 928. A couple have come close but they fall short in other areas.

All new-ish (post-2000s) cars I've driven that are "better" than a 928 feel too isolated, too soulless, too marketing-focus-grouped-to-death.

TheClairvoyant 05-27-2013 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by jheis (Post 10494401)
I read an article in Road & Track (forget what year) that was headlined something like "Five Exotics you can buy for $15,000." The cars were the Mercedes 350/450SL, Jag XJS, BMW 6 series coupe, 928, and I forget what else.

That't the same article that got me looking at them, and I also got mine in '94.

RicardoD 05-27-2013 11:30 PM

What's the ride like in these cars? The Car & Driver review of the GTS really trashed the ride. I am looking for a real Grand Tourer. Although I own two 911s, I am not one of the guys that thinks the 928 is not a real Porsche. Love to get a 90 or 91 S4

OTR18WHEELER 05-27-2013 11:56 PM

since I was 15, I always liked the porshe cars. I chose the 928 because it's a V8 without a Big Brother chip in it.