Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Sharks are hitting my line brought home two 928 in 24hrs (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/737985-sharks-are-hitting-my-line-brought-home-two-928-in-24hrs.html)

Herman K 01-27-2013 03:54 PM

Sharks are hitting my line brought home two 928 in 24hrs

4 Attachment(s)
It starts with post#40 in Don Carters old thread
https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...4-project.html
So after Don mentioned at the last Christmas diner in Houston that he might sell (he has boat fever right now) his white project car with the great body but no engine we figured that if we could find a good engine it may be interesting to take over his project.
I had heard about an1988 Marine blue (with 75k) that been sitting in storage for a while at a Porsche repair place waiting for its insurance settlement by the LTPO. I managed to make a barter deal with the owner and voila there’s our donor/ parts car for most of the things we’ll need to get the white one back on the road.
As we will be sparking new life into the 1988 white 928 she will named “Sparky”
Sparky was originally purchased at the SouthPoint Porsche dealer in Houston, Texas and started her life on the road on July 31, 1988 and according to her window stickers he has been on a off-road parked sabbatical since 2003 (with 95k on the odometer), she appears to have been a customer ordered car as she has memory seats with lumbar and heat on both sides as well as factory installed sports suspension with Billstein shocks and a 40% Locking differential and steering wheel with an elevated hub.

77tony 01-27-2013 04:47 PM

Red, White & Blue ! Looking forward to your project Herm & Barb.:thumbup:T

Arnoud 01-27-2013 05:31 PM

Great catch Herman! Please do keep us all informed of "Sparky's" resurrection in the weeks to come.

Mr. Piff 01-27-2013 05:54 PM

Congrats on the latest grabs, good luck

Glenn M 01-27-2013 06:08 PM

Nice catch, looking forward to the progress reports!

tmpusfugit 01-27-2013 06:10 PM

I wish you the best of luck on Sparky. I think I was the responsible party that led Don to buy it in the first place. I wanted it but I have a couple of major projects already that are aging......has really good potential I think. I have a bunch of photos I took a couple of years ago when I was looking at it, if you want them....

Andy Kay 01-27-2013 06:43 PM

Nice catch Barb & Herman!

Herman K 01-27-2013 07:13 PM

Your offer

Originally Posted by tmpusfugit (Post 10176853)
I wish you the best of luck on Sparky. I think I was the responsible party that led Don to buy it in the first place. I wanted it but I have a couple of major projects already that are aging......has really good potential I think. I have a bunch of photos I took a couple of years ago when I was looking at it, if you want them....

Jim, yes you were the responsible guy that led Don to buy it...I guess I was sitting next to the wrong guy at that last Christmas diner you could have saved me from listening to Don :icon107:

I would love to have the photos or any other information you may have related to this car please e-mail them to me when you get a chance they may help me with the project of getting Sparky back on the road.

We're going to be in Houston Monday - Wednesday but I don't know if we get time to stop by.

:thumbup: Herman

Herman K 01-27-2013 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by 77tony (Post 10176679)
Red, White & Blue ! Looking forward to your project Herm & Barb.:thumbup:T

T,

Next you want me to get blue back on the road as well!

H

77tony 01-27-2013 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Herman K (Post 10177007)
T,

Next you want me to get blue back on the road as well!

H

Why not, you have more than enough parts in the room above your garage:icon107::burnout:T

Don Carter 01-27-2013 07:34 PM

Jim beat me too it, but I was going to say we need to give him some credit to him for originally finding the car.

Herman, as I remember it, I was trying to chat about boats and salt water fishing at dinner, and you kept asking me about the white car. Anyway, no point in having it sit at my place gathering dust. I'm glad it went to home. Looking forward to seeing move on it's own power. Having a full donor car will be MUCH easier than just getting an engine. This way you have all the nuts and bolts you can pull from the donor.

"Sparky"? I was thinking "Wanda the White Widow maker" or something along those lines. :-)

Mrmerlin 01-27-2013 07:34 PM

Goodluck Barb and Herman this sounds like a fun project

Don Carter 01-27-2013 07:36 PM

Also, I seem to remember the previous owner tried to change the tranny fluid, but without the engine running, no way he would have been able to get enough fluid in it, so I'd keep a close eye on that when you fire it up the first time. Jim may remember more details.

tmpusfugit 01-27-2013 08:01 PM

Herman, would love for you to stop by if you have the time, if not understand that too. Regards the white car....I bought my red '84 from the same guy....what I have learned from it may be relevant to the white car too... suspect every bolt in the car to be finger tight, or if tightened, it will not be torqued to specs... the owner before Don did a lot of cleaning, and had many parts off the car that may not be immediately obvious or something normally loosened up...he is a good guy, and an engineer to boot, but his methodology and mine do not intersect gracefully, if you get my drift. My car had everything from the torque tube to the wheels held on by finger tight fittings, also the starter, the ignition switch stalk cut off the steering column, and so forth.....we put the front suspension back on the car so Don could haul it and nothing was tightened down....and I was part of that little effort....same with the steering rack and the like....but you will be in all those areas. Just suspect EVERYTHING as being loose....no big deal as long as everything is checked....should be a good car so don't take these comments as critical of anything.

risaac928 01-27-2013 08:09 PM

Congrats and I am jealous.....good luck with it all...and post LOTS of pics..