Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Looking for a 928 down under (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/729767-looking-for-a-928-down-under.html)

ANF 12-03-2012 06:09 PM

Looking for a 928 down under

Hi guys,

As the title says looking for a 928 in Australia, more specifically Tasmania.
Have been on here a while without posting much, too caught up in all my Mercedes! I am on Landsharkoz and those guys have been really helpful, thought that I would "broaden" my search for info and a car.

I am looking for an S model or would also consider a really good non S model. Must be auto (no not soft, just an injured left knee!).
Now I know this is predominantly a US based forum but maybe someone knows someone who know someone....

Being in Tassie makes it all the harder as our size, population and isolation make it difficult and am fully prepared to travel to the "big" island to find the right one.
I test drove an 80 928 UK import recently and it was not good! Hoping to find a good one locally (or even check out what a good one looks like locally) and then see what and where my options will take me.

As I said above I have a few Mercedes (1997 E320 and 2 x 1966 250S - both of which are under some sort of restoration......)
I have been in and around cars (and bikes) my whole life - restoring, racing and generally interested in them and as such am capable of doing just about any job on a car.

I have read/ glanced through the important 928 info contained here and am now ready to start looking :cheers:

Many thanks

Adam

Alan 12-03-2012 06:33 PM

Good luck - quite a few Aussies on the forum... they will have ideas...

Alan

Dave928S 12-03-2012 06:36 PM

Hi Adam ... just got your email on this topic and I'm happy to help you out in your search ... BTDT. I've just sent an email with my mobile number and location.
I don't think there's likely to be much locally, but you never know. There are plenty of gutless s__tboxes around, but there'll be a gem somewhere.
Dave

Ethre 12-03-2012 07:32 PM

How hard is the Tassie rego? I've seen quite a few come up for sale in SA recently.

I test drove an 80 928 UK import recently
There's been a RHD 81 advertised in George Town. Haven't looked at it, but is that the same car?
Very customized appearance and the price is quite high.

Must be auto
Most of the ones I have seen for sale in AU have been autos actually.

ANF 12-03-2012 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ethre (Post 10044680)
How hard is the Tassie rego? I've seen quite a few come up for sale in SA recently.

There's been a RHD 81 advertised in George Town. Haven't looked at it, but is that the same car?
Very customized appearance and the price is quite high.

Most of the ones I have seen for sale in AU have been autos actually.

Tassie rego should be easy.
Have not looked at that one, do not like the paint job.
Was in Hobart and light blue.
Yeah I know most are autos but thought that I would mention in case someone knew of a manual.

Thanks

Adam

ANF 12-03-2012 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dave928S (Post 10044523)
Hi Adam ... just got your email on this topic and I'm happy to help you out in your search ... BTDT. I've just sent an email with my mobile number and location.
I don't think there's likely to be much locally, but you never know. There are plenty of gutless s__tboxes around, but there'll be a gem somewhere.
Dave

Many thanks Dave i will contact you shortly.

Thanks

Adam

ANF 12-03-2012 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 10044511)
Good luck - quite a few Aussies on the forum... they will have ideas...

Alan

Thanks Alan

Ethre 12-03-2012 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by ANF (Post 10044735)
Tassie rego should be easy.
Have not looked at that one, do not like the paint job.
Was in Hobart and light blue.
Yeah I know most are autos but thought that I would mention in case someone knew of a manual.

Thanks

Adam

Yeah, the paint job is not exactly to my taste either.

Might be worth checking this one out
http://www.pcv.com.au/PorscheClubs/p...219D0D#pagetop
Don't know if it would meet your needs, but if you don't like please let me know what it looks like. If it is around in a few months I may have to check it out myself.

ROG100 12-03-2012 09:46 PM

Do not listen to Dave - RogerBoxes are far more superior to the crap 5 speeds.
Want a real car get an auto.

Hilton 12-03-2012 11:22 PM

Hi Adam - while you're on the hunt, given you're looking for an auto, do some searching and reading on Thrust Bearing Failure. Don't buy an auto without having the flex plate released and the crank end float measured by someone who's familiar with 928's.

ANF 12-03-2012 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Hilton (Post 10045350)
Hi Adam - while you're on the hunt, given you're looking for an auto, do some searching and reading on Thrust Bearing Failure. Don't buy an auto without having the flex plate released and the crank end float measured by someone who's familiar with 928's.

Hi Hilton,

I have heard about that and read in the 928 intro section, it says occurs in "later model" transmissions. What defines (year) a later model transmission?

Cheers

Adam

Hilton 12-04-2012 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by ANF (Post 10045379)
Hi Hilton,

I have heard about that and read in the 928 intro section, it says occurs in "later model" transmissions. What defines (year) a later model transmission?

Cheers

Adam

The change to the torque tube drive shaft to remove the circlip was in MY '84 from memory. Prior to that there was a circlip which prevented the shaft migrating - however, don't assume the circlip is still there on a 30 year old car.

As to models - are you specifically looking for 928S style with rubber spoilers, or also S4 (rear wing) body styles? And are you looking for a car to jump in and drive, or one which you can bring up-to-date on maintenance yourself?

One of the local Sydney 928-event attendees has a very well maintained 928S he's looking to sell as he bought a GTS a few months ago - not sure what he's asking for it tho', but it is a turn-key car maintained by Buchanans (I think he posted about it on the Landshark list? - his name is also Adam)

ANF 12-04-2012 01:36 AM

Hi Hilton,

I am looking for an S model mainly - due to the extra engine and braking performance. S4 is a little out of reach price wise at the moment. I have 2 x Mercedes projects on the go at the moment and I do not really want to add to that! So jump in a drive, maintain myself and fix any issues that arise.
Yes Adam's one does look like a nice one, it's an S3 and he wants $16k for it. In Sydney so a bit of a travel, but it is on my list at the moment.

Cheers

Adam

jschiller 12-04-2012 01:45 AM

This car is not currently in Australia but probably needs to go back as there is no US registration for this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TQ:MOTORS:1123

The seller says "this is a lien sale vehicle, I have the lien holder paperwork" which I don't think is going to impress the local DMV when you show up to register it here.

stuartbrs 12-04-2012 03:05 AM

There are some horrible cars here in Tassie... your best to get a known ( Landshark ) car from the mainland. Tassie cars always seem to be over priced and poorly maintained.