Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   My mysterious interior (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/722239-my-mysterious-interior.html)

Eplebnista 10-17-2012 02:33 PM

My mysterious interior

Here is a shot of my interior:

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a.../interior1.jpg

This appears to be a mix of Pearl White and Blue. Some say that the Pearl must have been a dye job done after the car was built. Others have said that this could have been a special order interior.

The label in the back of the car notes that the exterior color is L347 which is Dunkelblau and reports the interior simply as "72." PET has listings for various interior components where the colors are a combination of three characters and not two. Pearl White is listed, as is Blue. Of course, with the possible exception of the door cards, I don't have any components that are two colors at the same time. I would not therefore expect PET to have codes for a blue/pearl combination.

This is not a matter of great importance to me, but I am curious and would like to know if my girl is a dyed hussy or her colors are natural.

Any insights are appreciated.

Thanks

martinss 10-17-2012 02:42 PM

I like the look, although it must be hard to keep clean. It looks like you have scuffing next to the seat switches - but I don't see a previous blue dye showing thru FWIW

mickster 10-17-2012 03:08 PM

Have someone run a vin check; is there a label in the hatch area with the color code and option codes?

James Bailey 10-17-2012 03:11 PM

It looks factory !! the upper door window trims are very hard to change and they are white ! Someone special ordered that combination plus leather dash and the 5 speed :)

dr bob 10-17-2012 03:13 PM

Redying the WHOLE seat is a bit of work. If it is redyed/painted, you'll almost undoubtedly find telltales around the hog rings holding the seat together, or under the rear seats where they are glued down. Quick check is with a mirror under the seat, probably easiest from the rear, looking for either hog rings with the current color, or edges of the surface material that are still an old color.

KenRudd 10-17-2012 03:14 PM

No answers for you, but it is good looking interior IMHO....

dr bob 10-17-2012 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by James Bailey (Post 9925974)
It looks factory !! the upper door window trims are very hard to change and they are white ! Someone special ordered that combination plus leather dash and the 5 speed :)

Or someone transplanted pieces from a donor car at some point.

Lots of possibiites. I'd go with Jim's special-ordered story, adding to a car's pedigree a lot more than my redyed or donated bits option.

Eplebnista 10-17-2012 03:29 PM

Here is the label from the back of the car. I have no idea what "72" means in the line for the Paint Code/Interior.

[IMG]http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps60d68c4e.jpg[/IMG]

Vilhuer 10-17-2012 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Eplebnista (Post 9926038)
Here is the label from the back of the car. I have no idea what "72" means in the line for the Paint Code/Interior.

Its obviously interior code. It tells exactly what color combination was installed at factory. Color and material of the seats, dash, carpets etc. Some options like normal option list code M980 Ruff leather tell additional details about interior. Problem is that there were few dozen of these two digit codes used in every MY and there isn't any simple list which would tell whats what. No common knowledge list of codes at least. Rixter has something which might be helpful.

For later MY's there is quite comprehensive list in 968 forum. 928 used same codes but there might have been other codes which were 928 specific. But all those codes are different than what was used in early S4 and older models as all interior colors available are also different.

Tom in Austin 10-17-2012 05:23 PM

It's a shame no one has been able to 'crack the code' on interiors. Sure looks nice though! I've always liked the two-tone interior look, don't know of any car with this even as special order after the mid-80s.

jpitman2 10-17-2012 06:47 PM

Very nice combination IMHO. Mine is all white leather interior, including the hurn push, but it does not have an option sticker in the back. The Invoice just says 'Leather to Sample' for the interior. And yes it is hard to keep clean, and its very glary in bright sunlight. See P110 in the Brian Long 928 book.
jp 83 Euro S AT 54k.

GlenL 10-17-2012 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by jpitman2 (Post 9926646)
The Invoice just says 'Leather to Sample' for the interior.

Mine had that as well. And a really weird interior combination of tan seats with brown pascha and brown leather on the doors/dash/quarters/etc.

Since an owner could order anything there was no easy way to provide option codes for all those permutations. Could have been in a special build instruction tied to the "Leather to Sample" code.

whiteNSXs 10-18-2012 12:36 AM

4 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Eplebnista (Post 9925849)
Here is a shot of my interior:

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a.../interior1.jpg

This appears to be a mix of Pearl White and Blue. Some say that the Pearl must have been a dye job done after the car was built. Others have said that this could have been a special order interior.

The label in the back of the car notes that the exterior color is L347 which is Dunkelblau and reports the interior simply as "72." PET has listings for various interior components where the colors are a combination of three characters and not two. Pearl White is listed, as is Blue. Of course, with the possible exception of the door cards, I don't have any components that are two colors at the same time. I would not therefore expect PET to have codes for a blue/pearl combination.

This is not a matter of great importance to me, but I am curious and would like to know if my girl is a dyed hussy or her colors are natural.

Any insights are appreciated.

Thanks

Your car has Pearl White leather from the factory. My car has full Pearl White leather from the headliner all the way down. Interior code 99. You have a 2 tone interior. The Pearl White was a special ordered item and it was listed in my 1985 brochure. I almost bought your car from Chad but I did not care for the pinstripes which he was not sure could be removed. I am banging my head now as your car is gorgeous.:banghead:
Another 1986.5 shares your car's combo in burgundy/pearl white. Picture courtesy of davek9. Enjoy your gem.
Steve

NoVector 10-18-2012 02:50 AM

For my seats, all three tags matched: one under the seat, the other on the inside of the leather and the option code sticker in the rear hatch. Next time you have one of the seats out, will be easy to tell.

ddcryer 10-18-2012 02:42 PM

I also have the same pearl white interior, but with black dash and carpet. I have long suppected it was a special order interior, but never took the time to look it up.