Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Rotrex Supercharger thread (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/717953-rotrex-supercharger-thread.html)

SeanR 09-21-2012 12:42 PM

Rotrex Supercharger thread

Just so we can have several different threads on this discussion.

Discuss.

auzivision 09-21-2012 01:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rotrex suck and Vortechs blow… or is it the other way around.

Who knows, it’s all ball bearing nowadays! :p

Attachment 665691

rgs944 09-21-2012 01:39 PM

I will maybe be upgrading my clutch disk sometime in the next few years and going to the smaller pulley. Not sure aobut intercooling but maybe. For right now the car feels great to keep me satisfied. The thing I always tell people is that the boost seems to kick in early with the Rotrex. I know some of the complaints with some other SC kits is that people say you need to be in the upper rev ranges to usel the extra power. That does not seem to be so with this kit. It just makes it so much more drivable through traffic, like someone is just giving you a little nudge from behind as you barely press the pedal past 3000rpm.

SeanR 09-21-2012 02:59 PM

I started this one because Victor said he wasn't going to post in the other thread. Not sure why, but here it is.

Jherriott 09-21-2012 03:07 PM

Isn't the boost constant with a supercharger as it is belt driven right off the crank? Shouldn't it feel like a NA motor with more displacement? Whereas a turbo has boost and lag issues because the time required to spin the turbo up only begins when you start to accelerate and gain positive manifold pressure?

Cosmo Kramer 09-21-2012 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jherriott (Post 9859276)
Isn't the boost constant with a supercharger as it is belt driven right off the crank? Shouldn't it feel like a NA motor with more displacement? Whereas a turbo has boost and lag issues because the time required to spin the turbo up only begins when you start to accelerate and gain positive manifold pressure?

A centrifugal supercharger is like a belt driven turbo, the faster they spin the more boost you get (Rotrex and Vortech). A Roots or twin screw supercharger moves a higher volume of air at low RPM and will give more consistent boost throughout the RPM range. However, they tend to have less peak, high rpm power than the centrifugal superchargers. Its all a trade off.

SeanR 09-21-2012 05:10 PM

As I said in the other thread, the reason I picked this kit over other options was ease of install and price. Mine is my daily driver so it made the most sense if I needed to take it off in quick manner and put the car back to pre-boost conditions. I keep my current fans, no cutting or any other serious modifications needed. With just a small bit of tuning this thing pulls great and at this time, is just what I need in additional power. With the option of a significant increase when I feel like playing around with it.

Cosmo Kramer 09-21-2012 05:24 PM

Victor: What psi do the various pullies produce on your installs?

victor25 09-21-2012 06:33 PM

Basically 80mm is 6+, 75mm is 8+, and the 70mm is 10+
I have not graphed the 70mm though... I have a feeling it may be more, as Jeff was getting some serious boost to his intercooler and MAF boot with his 70mm pulley and things kept coming apart. He even broke a weld on a clamp.

Jon B. 09-21-2012 06:52 PM

What headunit is being used?

anonymousagain 09-21-2012 06:56 PM

so the dyno graph matches your sig for stage1 and stage1 is 6psi?

Stage1 Rotrex supercharged
481 RWHP and 426 torque

Cosmo Kramer 09-21-2012 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by victor25 (Post 9859808)
Basically 80mm is 6+, 75mm is 8+, and the 70mm is 10+
I have not graphed the 70mm though... I have a feeling it may be more, as Jeff was getting some serious boost to his intercooler and MAF boot with his 70mm pulley and things kept coming apart. He even broke a weld on a clamp.

Did you have the 80mm pulley installed on your dyno pull? You said in the other thread that you let it go past 6 psi, how far past? Just curious to see what the Rotrex is putting down per psi vs us Vortech guys. I am sure it is more, but that 155 hp gain points to a minimum of 8 psi.

rgs944 09-21-2012 08:20 PM

Another thing I really like about Victors kit is the SC bracket. I know there were some issues in the past about twisiting over time on some other kits. Obviously time will be the true test but seeing this bracket set up it looks very solid for the long term. I think the build qaulity and engineering of the bracket is up to the standard a 928 should have.

victor25 09-21-2012 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jon B. (Post 9859859)
What headunit is being used?

c38-91

What you guys need to understand, is that I have made many many dyno pulls, and their have been many changes to the setup over the year, or years, in trying to create an inexspensive, easy to install, powerful, and versital setup. I started with a 100 mm pulley and custom fuel rails... then added an idler pulley to deal with belt slip. Then went to 70mm, but still not much boost until I realized the belt was stretching, so I removed the idler and installed a tensioner, and bang huge boost! So I went back to the 100mm, added the 36lb injectors, and started shark tuning. I have tons of logs with everything from 4lbs boost to 11lbs. With different injectors, with custom and now stock rails, with and without an intercooler, etc etc ect... Huge time has gone into developing this, and the last piece of the puzzle, which was supposed to be done weeks ago and is the intakes for the filters is almost finished.
Simply put, we are supplying a kit that you can use as a daily driver, or create you own HP monster with. So keep it simple and safe or go crazy, its up to you!! I have intercoolers built and ready to go for pep's that want to go crazy. Hey put a custom 60mm pulley on there and go crazy with 20psi and a chiller setup... I don't care, it's your car.

I am looking forward to seeing what kind of dynos people will post.

daveo90s4 09-21-2012 08:40 PM

Victor how do I find out more about this kit? Technical information. Installation issues. Whether it will fit on a RHD car (brake booster on RH side, etc. whether there is an IC option. Whether there is a lesser 5 psi pulley / boost option. How the air cleaner system works. What is done to prevent the maf boot coming off under boost. Whether a rrfp regulator is needed. That sort of stuff and more. Thanks Dave