Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   stroker update (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/697946-stroker-update.html)

andy-gts 05-22-2012 09:34 AM

stroker update

I never saw any follow up on strokers posted and worried for yrs that strokers fate was like that of phil threshie lore...that being said I wanted to give an update on the status of my stroker that I recieved from precision motorwerks sept 2011
I have since put over 6000 miles on the engine , had it tuned at a shop on the dyno and have little to no drivability problems.
--absolutely no oil consuption problems, 1\3 qt in 3000 miles x2.
--idles great and drivability around town good( have to shift manually as the tranny likes to get into 3rd by a half block from a stoplight)
--has never overheated
-- the oil control system developed by Greg Brown must be performing flawlessly
--sound from ITB is definately different and I thought it was pinging until I took it to the tuners and found it was just the sound of the engine
--I do need to figure out how to quiet the exhaust a little( I have devek dual 3 inch borla exhaust on it) and devek headers
-- with the 2.2 rear end I cruise at 2800 rpm and I am doing 89 mph on radar(thats how I first found out)
--the vacuum pump on first start up is different to get used to but not annoying in the least.

All in all I am totally amazed, never driven this much power and is superbly fun and the car still gets stares on the highway all the time

I would definatly do this again....worth waiting for.

andy

andy-gts 05-22-2012 10:35 AM

any other strokers out there with interesting issues or recommendations to others<<<<<

cfc928gt 05-22-2012 11:43 AM

Andy, thanks for posting your results, I wish more people would do followups like you just did. Your GTS stroker has always appeared to be a marvelous build and now you've just validated it. What were the dyno numbers?

Rob Edwards 05-22-2012 12:28 PM

any other strokers out there with interesting issues or recommendations to others
No interesting issues here, but I'll reiterate what I posted in the carbon clutch thread the other day- having a driveline that'll put all that torque to the ground is a real joy, compared to the not-quite-sufficient upgraded DD clutch. The dry-sumped-heads thing continues to work as intended for me as well.

I have been bitten by the idea of putting together a track-day/HPDE car, that will likely end up with one of the new mini-stroker packages. Stock block, stock pistons. Gonna see how 'cheap' a motor GB can do ;)

My only regret is that Greg keeps coming up with new things faster than my ability to find time to actually play with them. Wait 'til y'all see the things he's got up his sleeve...

Mike Simard 05-22-2012 03:20 PM

I've been thinking of how nice it would be to have my engine in a street car instead of a racer. For an ITB engine, it's a shame to not drive around and experience the inherent driveability in a big power engine, that's a rare thing.

Drivetrain issues are still the #1 worry for me. I just broke a second trans that was only just added to replace the first broken trans from a few weeks ago. And that's with the engine restricted to 200 whp less than normal.
There is a new trans in the works for my car to cure that, it's getting closer to completion.

Andy, I don't think pinging is something you'll ever need to worry about and is only going to happen on a stock GTS with the combination of cam timing and displacement.
As far as I can tell I've never had any detonation on my engine. A strong ignition is important along with not letting oil get in the cylinder and not having high dynamic compression. Your engine has nothing to do with a stock GTS at all.

andy-gts 05-22-2012 04:04 PM

Fred,

tuning on mustang dyno was 498 hp and max 438 torque( at 4200rpm) , dynojet was 525 and about same torque...all at the wheels... after 8 hours on dyno for tuning. still some hp on the table, bowden cable was not disconnected and tps was varying 15 % from 5000 on up so little aggressive upper rpm tuning done but will get around to that when time permits.

what else has greg developed. I would love his headers and if he had new exhaust that would be cool too but I am happy with the way he set things up so far...just wish I lived close to him or maybe its better I dont..:roflmao:

ShawnSmith 05-22-2012 05:24 PM

My 88 GB 6.5 is running great. I'd recently added a set of GB headers and that uprated starter to it, both of which are a huge success. The headers freed up a lot of torque in the 4k region, but I have to confess that starter motor may be the single greatest improvement - fires up soooo much better than before.

mark kibort 05-22-2012 06:18 PM

my stroker(s) are running well, 100,000 miles on the original 6.0 liter devek motor. some cam timing issue, that we fixed with the porken tool, and it still seems to not run fantastic, but we are getting it better every month.
my stroker racer short block 6.5l built by the greenbay team, is still running amazingly well, with no tuning from day one , except fuel pressure regulator tweeks to the downside! 1:36.1 at laguna seca, and 7000miles of street driving. it runs better than most any car ive ever seen.. no oil mods what so ever, not even a cooler. no breathers, nothing. and it doesnt burn any significant oil. usually a quart over a race weekend, but negligble on street.

pcar928fan 05-22-2012 07:28 PM

I wish I were made of money... I'd love to send something to GB to get it done RIGHT and have some BIG HP like the rest of you guys!

Andy 500 to the ground is big time... That equates to nearly 600 crank HP because your car is an auto! That is AMAZING!

That said a friend and I were being hooligans the other night on a local road. He has an '04 GT3... roughly 3000# and 400HP and I was in my '92 GTS and he couldn't get away from me and I couldn't get away from him. Pretty impressive really for the old girl! She puts 283HP and 305Tq to the pavement...love to at least see some numbers like Rog and Jim are doing up in Dallas! I think that would be relatively affordable anyway!

ShawnSmith 05-22-2012 07:45 PM

Speaking of Automatic Strokers (erm, someone's gonna make a joke) - I'm excited to see Andy getting big HP numbers through his slushbox to the ground, since my car seems to be hitting up against a wall on its smaller torque converter (I assume his is the GTS one which is larger than what went into all other 928's).

Greg keeps trying to lure me back to his shop with another wad of cash for an experimental GTS-torque-converter upgrade. We suspect that would put more of the already-existing crank-ponies to the ground, but it's presently beyond my fun-money budget. Sigh. Always something more to do.

IcemanG17 05-22-2012 07:55 PM

498-525 whp in an automatic is between 620-650 crank HP..... I think the original engine dyno was around 610hp...so I'd say that is possible once broke in with a bit more tuning.... Remember Simards 7.0L is 640whp...or about 750HP

Honestly for a street car..400whp is A LOT.....especially one with the torque of a stroker 928.... My old M3 put 389whp to the ground, but only 270ftlbs & it was a handful when wound up!!!!

GregBBRD 05-22-2012 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by andy-gts (Post 9551794)
Fred,

tuning on mustang dyno was 498 hp and max 438 torque( at 4200rpm) , dynojet was 525 and about same torque...all at the wheels... after 8 hours on dyno for tuning. still some hp on the table, bowden cable was not disconnected and tps was varying 15 % from 5000 on up so little aggressive upper rpm tuning done but will get around to that when time permits.

what else has greg developed. I would love his headers and if he had new exhaust that would be cool too but I am happy with the way he set things up so far...just wish I lived close to him or maybe its better I dont..:roflmao:

Andy:

I have a complete exhaust sytem to go with my headers. There are several running around. Rob's got one on his car. He actually made a recording of it...

All stainless, from the front to the back.

No "freeway" drone...actually pretty quiet, until you hit the "loud" pedal.

gb

77tony 05-22-2012 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by GregBBRD (Post 9553197)
Andy:

I have a complete exhaust sytem to go with my headers. There are several running around. Rob's got one on his car. He actually made a recording of it...

All stainless, from the front to the back.

No "freeway" drone...actually pretty quiet, until you hit the "loud" pedal.

gb

Sounds like a little OT in the ER Andy ! T

Rob Edwards 05-23-2012 12:43 AM

Andy-

Here's the catback setup-

Audio file at idle:

https://webfiles.uci.edu/redwards/pu...%205-21-12.mp3

An Anderson fly-by at WOT:

https://webfiles.uci.edu/redwards/pu...%206-17-11.mp3

Exhaust:

https://webfiles.uci.edu/redwards/pu...k%209-7-10.jpg

Headers:

https://webfiles.uci.edu/redwards/pu...%204-10-12.jpg

GregBBRD 05-23-2012 02:06 AM

Some will find it obvious that I virtually copied the complete system from a 1961 VW bus exhaust....