Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   OB Speakers - Finally ready for testing (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/695495-ob-speakers-finally-ready-for-testing.html)

hans14914 05-08-2012 02:19 PM

OB Speakers - Finally ready for testing

10 Attachment(s)
With the 84+ speakers out of the way, I have always intended to make an OB speaker setup for the 78-83 cars. The project always seemed to get put on the back burner, or there would be an issue with the CNC machine... etc, but I finally got two sets ready to go out for evaluation.

In the attached pictures, you will see that there are two different versions. One is almost identical to stock, and has the same mounting depth, terminal size... etc.

The other is a bit deeper, but the magnet is contoured so I think it will fit in the door, but testing will confirm. This deeper driver is a bit more expensive, but is incredibly well reviewed by most audio nuts. I am hopeful it will work, but if not, we have a viable option ready to go with the shallower driver, and raw costs on it are significantly less.

These are shipping out today for an independent review/installation. I hope to have feedback early next week. Pending testing, these will be ready to order before the end of next week, both drivers are stocked by my distributors.

Thanks,
Hans

hacker-pschorr 05-08-2012 02:37 PM

http://tallskinnykiwi.typepad.com/.a...43f9cc8970c-pi

This means I have to find my door panel.

Jadz928 05-08-2012 02:40 PM

I'm in. Just let me know what to do.

whatudrivin 05-08-2012 02:51 PM

Would it not be possible to fit a somewhat larger speaker in there. Like a 4"x6" or a 6"x9" to make more use of the available space? I haven't taken my doors apart to know how much room is in there but it just seems like you could get more speaker/sound out of a mounting bracket like that.

kawi825 05-08-2012 03:15 PM

Space is tough up front, I had my doors apart last month, not much of a dimple in the sheet metal. Doors coming apart again next week. I plan on removing rear qtrs soon after (once I figure put how!!)

hans14914 05-08-2012 03:30 PM

That the funny thing about the OB cars. They had plenty of room to do something, but when they formed the sheetmetal interior door skin, they only recessed a place for a single magnet, and square/centered on the flange. Thus you cant really offset the primary driver much in any given direction, making it difficult to install true separates. There is sufficient room on the panel to add a dedicated high-frequency driver, but then that will require a crossover and the cost is going to shoot up. The two drivers shown here are full-range drivers. They wont give a ton of low-end, but will extend easily to the 18k or so range off-axis.

If you need some low-end support, I would investigate adding a subwoofer. I have one available as a drop-in 928-specific solution, but there are several other products on the market that would easily work as well.

Thanks
Hans

hacker-pschorr 05-08-2012 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by hans14914 (Post 9512351)
There is sufficient room on the panel to add a dedicated high-frequency driver, but then that will require a crossover and the cost is going to shoot up.

:thumbsup: - when can I test this setup?

If you need some low-end support, I would investigate adding a subwoofer. I have one available as a drop-in 928-specific solution, but there are several other products on the market that would easily work as well.

Sounds awesome as a living room sub too.....:p

robot808 05-08-2012 04:35 PM

So, Erik & Jim then? Because I am up for this if Hacker can't find his door panel.

sweet928 05-08-2012 04:47 PM

Woo hoo. I hope the bigger one fits. I'm in. (I assume this will work with my stock perf door panels?

SeanR 05-08-2012 04:52 PM

Once again Hans, I'm blown away by the stuff you come up with. Well done.

hans14914 05-08-2012 05:10 PM

Drivers have already shipped off to the tester. As soon as data comes back next week, we can expand the test to include several other Rennlisters. Need to find out which one(s) fit.

And yes, these are designed to be a "factory replacement" type option, which would use the factory harness and mounting hardware, just with an updated speaker driver. Both of these drivers have been designed in the last two years or so, and include many of the advances in driver design, so should be significantly better than factory. One driver has a fiberglass cone, the other anodized aluminum, so both also will wear much better in an automotive environment. I also used a much denser speaker cloth, both to obscure the driver better in the perf panels, and also to improve the UV rejection to keep the rubber surround in better shape long-term.

Thanks
Hans

sweet928 05-08-2012 05:11 PM

Fantastic! Can't wait to get them in my car. Any idea on time line?

whatudrivin 05-08-2012 05:14 PM

That the funny thing about the OB cars. They had plenty of room to do something, but when they formed the sheetmetal interior door skin, they only recessed a place for a single magnet, and square/centered on the flange. Thus you cant really offset the primary driver much in any given direction, making it difficult to install true separates. There is sufficient room on the panel to add a dedicated high-frequency driver, but then that will require a crossover and the cost is going to shoot up. The two drivers shown here are full-range drivers. They wont give a ton of low-end, but will extend easily to the 18k or so range off-axis.

Thanks
Hans

Ahhh, ok that makes more sense. That's such an odd design. And dare I say flaw? In any case awesome looking stock replacement! :cheers:

I have looked at the sharkwoofer that you came up with and let me say I am very impressed. When I get to the point where I am looking at sound I believe I may get one. Till then I've pulled up a seat and have been watching all of your projects. Amazing work.

pcar928fan 05-08-2012 06:22 PM

VERY COOL! My '85 will benefit GREATLY from this upgrade as it is a EURO car that was cheaped out on and only has the 4 speaker system and those speakers SUCK! I think my '84 would really benefit from this too, but it needs a new head unit too realistically. If I ever get to build a big garage and get the '84 back to the house full time I'll probably do this upgrade!

Great work Hans! Looking forward to hearing these in my '85 some day soon!

mazdaverx7 05-08-2012 06:28 PM

nice job on those speakers!