Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   terminal numbers on S4 4 way seat switch? (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/695104-terminal-numbers-on-s4-4-way-seat-switch.html)

kevinlieb 05-06-2012 02:27 AM

terminal numbers on S4 4 way seat switch?

I am trying to diagnose a problem with the passenger seat of my S4. The tilt of the seat back goes forward but not back. I'm trying to determine if it is the switch or the motor itself.

The terminals on the back of the switch where it is soldered are now impossible to read. Does anyone have a new one or one that is readable to see which terminal is which? The diagram is readable but I can't see the tiny numbers on the terminals themselves at all.

Thanks in advance!

MainePorsche 05-06-2012 02:41 AM

The year of your car is ...

kevinlieb 05-06-2012 05:31 AM

The car is an '88 S4. It has memory seats on the driver side. I don't know if that affects the passenger side. It has just the 2 sets of 4 way switches (not the heated seats)

MainePorsche 05-06-2012 11:45 AM

At each 4 way switch the terminals are connected as follows:

1 - Brown
2 - Red
3 - Black/Violet
4 - Black
5 - Black/Green
6 - Grey

Speedtoys 05-06-2012 02:58 PM

well...IIRC, the motor cant be bad, as the two wires to it are reversed by the switch to make it work one way or the other.

IE: It doesnt have four wires to it, just two..and they are either + or -, depending.

I could be wrong, but ive been diggin thru 12way+heat seat issues the last while..and Im down to a bad controller on one side I think now.

kevinlieb 05-06-2012 11:30 PM

Thanks for the help all! From what I understand here these are the terminal numbers:
http://www.lieberland.com/gallery/va...g?m=1336356796

This is the diagram:
http://www.lieberland.com/gallery/va...g?m=1336356792
(that is not my ham-fisted soldering job...)

So is X2 when I press backward to recline the seat back? Then would be shorting 6 and 2, grey and red, that would make the seat recline? When I tried that I just got a spark and dimming lights without seat movement which I deemed a bad sign...

kevinlieb 05-07-2012 06:56 PM

Bumping this thread. I am really lost here. Anyone know what terminals to short to get the seat back to recline here? X2 I believe is the switch.

I tried 2-6 again, that is not it...

MainePorsche 05-07-2012 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by kevinlieb (Post 9509892)
Bumping this thread. I am really lost here. Anyone know what terminals to short to get the seat back to recline here? X2 I believe is the switch.

I tried 2-6 again, that is not it...

Seat Back Control are terminals 4,6 / black,grey
Seat Height Control is 3,5 / black-violet, black-green

kevinlieb 05-07-2012 11:35 PM

Sorry, perhaps I am being vague here. So if, say I wanted to make the seat recline, which two wires do I short? If shorting the 2 wires makes it recline but the switch does not then it is a bad switch...

MainePorsche 05-08-2012 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by kevinlieb (Post 9510664)
Sorry, perhaps I am being vague here. So if, say I wanted to make the seat recline, which two wires do I short? If shorting the 2 wires makes it recline but the switch does not then it is a bad switch...

It does incline forward via the switch, so you know the motor and the ground line to MP V are OK. If you jump 2 (Red) and 6 (Recline) and it works... has to be the switch.

kevinlieb 05-08-2012 02:11 PM

Thanks MainePorsche. Can anyone confirm this though? The current draw was pretty big when I did this: enough to heat the alligator clip to the point of burning my hand and dim the interior lights quite a bit. Didn't blow a fuse but it was definitely drawing a lot of current.

kevinlieb 05-09-2012 01:49 PM

My theory is the switch does two things: connects pins 2 and 6 and disconnects some other pins.

I tried to take the switch apart in the car yesterday to clean the contacts. Bad idea! There should be one of those "no user servicable parts inside" labels on that thing. There are little springs and ball bearings that there are no way to get back in once they are apart, at least while it is soldered to the car. And the contacts are deep in there and hard to get at to clean. So I ended up cutting the wires off and pulling the switch off.

Connecting the grey wire to the red wire (2 to 6 outside the car) did not make the seat recline and drew no current. So there is some other magic combination.

Anyone have a full wiring diagram to the seat mechanism area?

RET 05-09-2012 02:09 PM

I don't think that simply shorting two poles on the outside of the switch is the best of ideas as there are multiple internal single pole double throw switches: moving the lever makes some connections while opening others. Adding an external jumper only closes a single connection but does not open any other, which does not give the desired results....

FWIW, I revived a couple of seat switches by drenching them with Deoxit. There were some small holes in the switch body IIRC. Not an elegant solution, but they are still working.

HTH,

Bob

ROG100 05-09-2012 04:15 PM

I am pretty sure that Memory seat (positrol) switches are different part numbers.
OK I now see no memory on the passenger side.

kevinlieb 05-09-2012 05:53 PM

Thanks Roger. I'll be ordering the switch from you today.

I would still love to know how to push the backrest back by shorting wires manually if anyone knows...