Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   It doesn't look good...... (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/686895-it-doesnt-look-good.html)

the flyin' scotsman 04-02-2012 07:32 PM

you need to double wrench the fitting to remove the oil line.......IIRC someone had posted re. a set of thin wrenches that do the job. Personally I use Snap On which have the necessary clearance.

87landshark 04-02-2012 07:40 PM

yeah, im holding the 27mm nut closest to the rad tight while trying to loosen the 30 mm hose fitting, but NO CHANCE. i'm going to soak it with some kroil and let it penetrate. I'll bet this thing hasn't been budged in its 25 years of service.

Hilton 04-02-2012 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by 87landshark (Post 9413498)
yeah, im holding the 27mm nut closest to the rad tight while trying to loosen the 30 mm hose fitting, but NO CHANCE. i'm going to soak it with some kroil and let it penetrate. I'll bet this thing hasn't been budged in its 25 years of service.

You're undoing the wrong fittings - the wrenches for the oil cooler hoses are 27 and 32mm. (there is a 30mm shallow nut in that arrangement too - but thats to seal the internal cooler to the radiator's plastic end-tank - its easier to use a 30mm socket on those fittings tho' once the radiator is out and lying on its side).

Landseer 04-02-2012 08:04 PM

And it can be done with cheap harbor freight wrenches.

87landshark 04-02-2012 09:04 PM

yeah, meant to correct that. 27 and 32 is what I was using. Aerokroil worked its magic, and the rads out now. So when the new one goes in, whats the best way to proceed with removing the choco milkshake residue from my block? can it be further drained without reinventing the wheel? And how about the overflow tank? Can that be removed or drained, it doesn't look like theres a whole lotta room over there. thanks again fellas, and I do apologize for the inaccuracy on the fitting measurement.

the flyin' scotsman 04-02-2012 09:08 PM

the block has 2 drain plugs on either side toward the rear......13mm IIRC

fbarnhill 04-02-2012 09:30 PM

If your overflow tank is in the same place as mine, rear passenger side behind the shock tower, there are 2 10mm bolts that hold it in and then the hoses that connect to it are just clamped on. Not too bad if you are patient. Might want to take a couple ditital pics to ensure they all go back in the same place. I removed mine several times. Makes removing the wiring harness through the firewall a breeze.

danglerb 04-03-2012 01:00 AM

Overflow tank is a bear, one of the fasteners is bad enough that few cars with a replacement tank have both tightened down. My PO poured oil in the overflow by accident and took it to the Porsche dealership to be flushed out, one bolt only when I checked it.

Charley B 04-03-2012 06:40 AM

Are you sure that when you added the antifreeze you didn't accidently add oil instead??

NoVector 04-03-2012 09:33 AM

I had a leaking transmission cooler years ago, similar to your oil in the coolant except mine was ATF. I replaced all my hoses at the same time as the radiator, so flushing was a bit easier by sticking a garden hose in every open hole. A garden hose in the overflow bottle and a little soap got it all out of there. Once the hoses and radiator were in place, I ran the car with just water, ran the engine up to operating temp, let it cool, and then dumped, and refilled with water a few times just to make sure all the bad stuff was out before I put in coolant. Make sure your heater is on...

The two block drain bolts can be seen in Tony's and Dwayne's coolant flush writeups (below). You'll notice Dwayne also has a writeup on replacing the water bridge gasket as you said you needed to do that too.

Tony's: http://members.rennlist.com/v1uhoh/coolant.htm

Dwayne's: http://www.dwaynesgarage.norcal928.o...0Procedure.htm

Good luck!

87landshark 04-04-2012 10:21 AM

found bolts and drained block last night. anti freeze is much cleaner down low, for obvious reasons. will coat bolts with anti_seize, and replace washers as well. will tackle overflow tank tonite. how should i go about cleaning out the sludge that formed in the oil pan? From running the car into position and driving it up the ramps, the oil I drained out was kinda milky also. should I just do a quick oil and filter a second time once its all back together. ? what are your thoughts?

WallyP 04-04-2012 10:49 AM

Change oil & filter, substituting one quart of Rislone 100QR for one quart of oil. Drive it for a bit, change oil and filter again.

87landshark 04-14-2012 02:22 PM

thanks Wally. I'm back at it again today. Getting together a pretty extensive parts list. Can I use "gunk" engine flush instead of the Rislone? I'm not having any luck finding it in my area. I'm also gonna swap out the oil cooler lines if I can find them. the orig. ones in the car weep a bit and are full of muck. thick black sludge. Hopefully i'll be able to find 'em. til the parts arrive, i'm doing a laundry list of all the things i've been meaning to do while its "down". I'll be in touch. Please let me know about substituting the gunk engine rinse. Anyone?

87landshark 04-14-2012 02:27 PM

i just read that. SORRY! the muck that the oil cooler lines are full of is on the outside. It should read that they are covered in a thick black sludge. the inside of them looks clear.