Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Redline for an LSD trans??????? (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/679101-redline-for-an-lsd-trans.html)

Ducman82 02-06-2012 03:46 PM

Redline for an LSD trans???????

im confused....

I just installed and LSD unit into my 5 speed. do i use the 75w90 or the 75w90NS from redline? if i read right, people here use the NS, but the redline chick said i need the regular........ IM CONFUSED (happens a lot)

GeorgeM 02-06-2012 04:10 PM

The website says NS... that's what I use in my GT w/PSD.

atb 02-06-2012 04:12 PM

People with A/T's and LSD will use the NS reduced with non-NS.
I don't think the NS is a popular choice for the 5 speed owners, and based upon Bill Ball's recent thread, doesn't give good performance when used undeluted with the Porsche LSD clutch pack.
Greg Brown recommends the Mobile One LS. I would go with that (and plan on doing the same when I install my LSD unit in my OB 5 speed.)

Ducman82 02-06-2012 04:19 PM

i read the opposite. NS works with great with a little modifier added. per Redlines website, NS works great for the syncros and aggressive lock up with clutch style LSD. so you add the additive to adjust the grip.

mark kibort 02-06-2012 05:52 PM

If you want to know what works, 3 quarts NS, 2 quarts regular.

z driver 88t 02-06-2012 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by mark kibort (Post 9252529)

That's the combo I'm running in an old style 5 speed LSD trans.

White Lightnin' 02-06-2012 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by mark kibort (Post 9252529)

Okay... what works with the Auto LSD?

Recommendations on ATF also?

Ducman82 02-06-2012 07:05 PM

on my auto's (none 928) i ran some ATF from schaffers. worked great.

RET 02-06-2012 07:48 PM

My LSD had the same chattering problem as Bill Ball's did with straight Redline NS, changed to Mobil 1 LS 75/90 per Greg Brown's recommendation with immediate improvement. Shifts well too, with slight (maybe only perceived...) improvement over the Redline NS.

FWIW, I had only intended to run the straight Redline NS for a short time after transmission surgery and then replace it anyway. I would have mixed it with non-NS if I had any at the time, but was lazy and did not think that anything would be hurt... I would have certainly mixed it if I had planned on leaving it in for awhile as that is what I used the last time I changed transmission oil, and had no chattering problem. Since I had used up almost all of my stock of Redline and had to buy more oil anyway, I decided to go with Greg's suggestion of Mobil 1.

namasgt 02-06-2012 07:50 PM

The Redline-NS will not work by itself or even with the expensive additive from Redline. I used NS in my Auto with LSD differential, and after a few miles started chartering like crazy, it got worst as I put more miles on it, Added a bottle and a half of the additive they sell and nothing changed. End up draining the damn thing again and used the correct stuff (the one that doesn't say NS), within only a few miles the chattering went away. Don't waist your money and buy the NON_NS. I don't have a 5 speed so don't know how the mixture of the NS and NON-NS would work. But I would think on a track car were you are turning at high speeds you would not hear the chattering, it happens at low speed street driving conditions. It feels like the whole rear end is shaking every time you make a turn.

jetrainor 02-06-2012 08:00 PM

NS....non-synthetic?...ive got an auto LSD but cant remember what's in there fluid wise.

namasgt 02-06-2012 08:12 PM

Non Slippery,

Jadz928 02-06-2012 08:34 PM

I blended the NS & non-NS in my 5Speed LSD (later BW) with good results, no chatter.

Next time I'm doing what GB says... just because.

jheis 02-06-2012 08:54 PM

Here's what Dave Granquist, a Redline tech recommends:

"Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, some time ago we used a fluid blend in the Porsche transaxles to closely match the original. The 75W90NS now contains a slight amount of friction modifier, for improved shiftability not for chatter control.
In your 928 transaxle the 75W90NS is recommended, if chatter is present from the clutch type limited slip when making a slow/tight turn a slight amount of Friction Modifier can be added, being aware that excess will adversely affect shiftability. Typically Porsche limited slip differentials don’t chatter, if chatter occurs 1 to 1½ % would be a good starting point. The 75W90 contains 5% friction modifier too slippery for the synchros so not recommended for use in a manual transmission/transaxle.

Regards, Dave
Red Line Oil"

Per Redline's recommendation, I'm running straight 75W90NS in my '89 LSD 5 speed with good results. Chatter is gone & it shifts just fine. As always, YMMV.

For what it's worth, I also run Redline 75W90NS in my non-LSD '82 5 speed and the shifting improved dramatically over Mobil 1.

James

SMTCapeCod 02-06-2012 08:56 PM

I use blend as Mark described in my 83.

In my 85, I use Torco ATF, Diff fluid and friction modifier. Works great, when I first got the car, tight parking lot turns were as if a gorilla was grabbing 2x4s and twisting them into splinters. Afterward, smooth and quiet.