Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Equal length headers for 32v RHD cars (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/676600-equal-length-headers-for-32v-rhd-cars.html)

Cheburator 01-23-2012 07:13 PM

Equal length headers for 32v RHD cars

Listers, particularly those from Oz or NZ, is there any interest in getting RHD equal length, stepped headers being made? I have commissioned a set from scratch for my car. We are using TP304 stainless steel and they are 4 into 1 with a 1 3/4 primary stepped to 1 7/8 and true merge collector. The headers would work on a LHD car too. If anyone is interested, please PM me. Will cost around EUR800/USD1000 including all taxes before shipping, which is cheap these days...

Cheburator 01-24-2012 07:00 AM

I cannot believe the lack of response... :atwhore:

jon928se 01-24-2012 07:26 AM

Give it time - and a pointer post on Landsharks and 928UK would help. FWIW I only just read this 12 hours after it was posted. And yes I could well be interested. - even better if it was ex VAT for an export.

Cheburator 01-24-2012 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by jon928se (Post 9212866)
Give it time - and a pointer post on Landsharks and 928UK would help. FWIW I only just read this 12 hours after it was posted. And yes I could well be interested. - even better if it was ex VAT for an export.

Not a member on Landsharks OZ though... But good idea about the UK list.

stuartph 01-24-2012 11:38 AM

I might be interested

John Speake 01-24-2012 12:22 PM

I am sure there will be a demand for these but over a longer term. The availablity of such items for RHD will in time create its own demand "because they're there". Up to now headers for RHD have had to be butchered from LHD versions, not very attractive.

You will have to bite the bullet and have a batch made on a speculative basis. I would be prepared to list them on my website, especially if you can show some substantiated before and after dyno figures.

Cheburator 01-24-2012 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by John Speake (Post 9213477)
I am sure there will be a demand for these but over a longer term. The availablity of such items for RHD will in time create its own demand "because they're there". Up to now headers for RHD have had to be butchered from LHD versions, not very attractive.

You will have to bite the bullet and have a batch made on a speculative basis. I would be prepared to list them on my website, especially if you can show some substantiated before and after dyno figures.

They will be going in my GT engined S2... So I guess we could do all sorts of comparisons. My fabricator is making a set for me and also a mild steel master set for himself. Thus orders can be made very quickly.

P.S. My S2 non-start was due to faulty CPS. Zero resistance between the terminals. Swapped a good one from my GT engine and it started right away. Also managed to rebuild the electric fuse board...

terry gt 01-24-2012 02:33 PM

the LHD availability is not very good , the only sets are 928 intrernational , and they need to be modified to fit a road car . And in mild steel . GB developed some ??? .And MSDS through Carl , but they are not equal length . Devek made some very nice ones , but no one will part with them .so 1000.00 in SS sounds very good .

jon928se 01-24-2012 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Cheburator (Post 9212998)
Not a member on Landsharks OZ though... But good idea about the UK list.

Passed the linkback to this thread on to the LandsharkOZ list for you.

Charles Parkinson 01-24-2012 06:19 PM

That is a great price IMHO

Hi Cheb,
Great idea as RHD headers are unobtanium. Unfortunately I don't have a budget for anything beyond maintenance at present (cost of going back to school to get my PhD = limited money for toys).
Good luck, Charles

Dave928S 01-24-2012 07:13 PM

what about 16V?

I'd be interested in a set for my 82 S 16V (I'm keeping the GTS pristine original).

If your fabricator can do the 16V two bolt flanges, that opens up a much wider market. I think they would fit 16V with perhaps the only difference being a small extender behind the flange on one side ?? .... someone else may be able to confirm.

Hilton 01-25-2012 05:48 AM

Just saw Jon's post on Landshark - missed this thread as I'm on hols. I'm interested - any idea whether the clutch and lower bell housing access will be impinged by them?

jon928se 01-25-2012 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Hilton (Post 9216286)
Just saw Jon's post on Landshark - missed this thread as I'm on hols. I'm interested - any idea whether the clutch and lower bell housing access will be impinged by them?

And another question

Where will the connection point be ? Without having done any research I'm just thinking about Carl's Header X product etc. and wondering how easy it would be to match up with other products or stock connection points?

I appreciate that you aren't doing this as a commercial venture and so won't necessarily be doing the same research the Carl or Dave Lomas would do.

Jon B. 01-25-2012 08:54 AM

Like was already mentioned, if you make the flanges able to accept early and late mountings (2 and 3 bolt) you'll have a lot more interest.

emike928 01-25-2012 09:24 PM

If this is a silly question my apologies.

How does this compare with an x pipe setup?

Mike 86/S3