Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Recommendations for injector cleaning (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/675861-recommendations-for-injector-cleaning.html)

PC-85-928S 01-19-2012 09:59 AM

Recommendations for injector cleaning

I got one quote for 250 for injuector and fuel rail cleaning.
Anyone have any recommendations?

GlenL 01-19-2012 10:14 AM

http://www.witchhunter.com/

No HTwo O 01-19-2012 10:27 AM

What about a thorough & strong regiment of Techron, followed by an oil change??? Maybe it's beyond that, and just ignor me.:)

911tracker85 01-19-2012 10:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
witchhunter did my injectors for the 928, came back looking like new. 2 of 8 tested fair before cleaning, then all good after cleaning.

just got my 911 injectors back from them. one did not test well, so getting a rebuilt. whatever the issue was with the bad injector, I had not noticed as I had no missing or sputtering.

what I think I learned from both experiences is if you want to know they are all working properly, send them out.

here is a pic of the 911 injector along with the fuel lines rebuilt by Zims. each cleaned injector returned in a separate sealed bag. in addition to cleaning, replace the prittle caps and gaskets/O rings.

did this on both cars during rubber fuel line replacement.

I just blew out the rails my self on both occasions.

good luck.

rgs944 01-19-2012 10:53 AM

Why not put in the Ford 19# injectors? Much better spray pattern and then you have new injectors.

z driver 88t 01-19-2012 11:07 AM

+1 for Witchhunter. I don't know what sort of issue would require cleaning of the fuel rail. I can't imagine those get clogged or oxidized, but I've never looked inside one - so who knows.

I had Witchhunter do injectors on my Z yeas ago. Very good service and been around a long time.

PC-85-928S 01-19-2012 11:08 AM

how much do you think the ford injectors would run?

do you have a link to the correct ones?

is there a mounting modification that has to be done?

rgs944 01-19-2012 11:15 AM

They are basically the same thing made by Bosch. Do a search to make sure but I believe you are looking for the ones with blue caps. Unless you plan to supercharge with a lot of boost that is all the pressure you will ever need. They are used in Ford 5.0 and I believe in Mark II's. It has been about a year since I purchased them but think I picked mine up for about $150 on Ebay. I am pretty sure Roger sells them as well.

Mike Frye 01-19-2012 11:21 AM

My recommendation is always: Don't do it.

You can get a set of Ford Racing injectors for about the same price. 4 hole, brand new and they drop right in.

I'm not a fan of refurbing injectors. I think they're a wear item that are cheap enough to replace that it doesn't make sense to hang on to the old ones.
Edit: Guess I took too long to post. :)

Check BlueOvalRacing. It's where I got mine. I don't think Roger has these because he can't get them any cheaper than they sell them for.

I thought the S3s were 24 lb injectors though. I don't remember.

ThomO 01-19-2012 11:50 AM

Witchhunter did mine awesome customer service

FredR 01-19-2012 12:03 PM

You should be able to find a suitable set for around $250 or less brand new. Just remember not all injectors are the same-

The Ford sets typically come with 14mm O rings whereas the 928 needs a 16mm o ring at the bottom end [?]- easy enough to source. They are also EV1 connectors. You also need ot be careful to ensure they have the correct grooving at the top. Our injectors have either 2 or 3 grooves- some are supplied with 1 groove in the wrong place for our use [one of our listers cut hi sown grooves but not sure I like that idea given that holds the injector to the fuel rail].

Fred

Mike Frye 01-19-2012 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by FredR (Post 9198615)
You should be able to find a suitable set for around $250 or less brand new. Just remember not all injectors are the same-

The Ford sets typically come with 14mm O rings whereas the 928 needs a 16mm o ring at the bottom end [?]- easy enough to source. They are also EV1 connectors. You also need ot be careful to ensure they have the correct grooving at the top. Our injectors have either 2 or 3 grooves- some are supplied with 1 groove in the wrong place for our use [one of our listers cut hi sown grooves but not sure I like that idea given that holds the injector to the fuel rail].

Fred

I think that's for the S4 injectors. The ones from Ford are drop in replacements for the S3.

FredR 01-19-2012 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Frye (Post 9198754)
I think that's for the S4 injectors. The ones from Ford are drop in replacements for the S3.

Mike,

I assume there will be something in the Ford line up that suits the S3

Regards

Fred

SQLGuy 01-19-2012 02:30 PM

Rick Cruze at Cruzin Perfomance. He'll clean them, add new pintle covers and seals, bead blast and paint them, and flow test them... runs about $130 for a set of 8, IIRC.

http://www.cruzinperformance.com/

leperboy 01-19-2012 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by FredR (Post 9199114)
I assume there will be something in the Ford line up that suits the S3

The Ford Motorsport 24# injectors are a direct drop in for the 85-86 32V motor. The o-rings do not need to be swapped.

Part Number is 9593-A302.

This is how I would go, rather than have injectors cleaned. You can buy them online from ebay or many other places and they are better than stock.

Matt