Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Brake fluid reservoir (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/666115-brake-fluid-reservoir.html)

justaguy 11-20-2011 06:03 PM

Brake fluid reservoir

4 Attachment(s)
Guys, While doing other work I discovered that my brake fluid reservoir is leaking where it goes into the master cylinder. Is it possible to remove the plastic reservoir and replace the seals or do I have to replace the whole thing master cylinder c/w reservoir?

Thanks
Sean

polecat702 11-20-2011 06:38 PM

It just pulls off, there is an Oring on each nipple that needs to be replaced. Get them from our Vendors. Cheap and easy fix. Change your brake fluid too.

the flyin' scotsman 11-20-2011 06:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Drain fluid, remove res. and replace seals......easy one.

justaguy 11-20-2011 08:26 PM

Yes thats what I thought. I tried prying it off but it didn't want to come free so thought I would ask before I broke something. I mean, before I broke something else.

Thanks
Sean

justaguy 11-20-2011 08:27 PM

Will replace fluid and ratty blue hose as well.

dr bob 11-20-2011 08:36 PM

Replacing that "ratty blue hose" will be the most fun part of your project. Just sayin'

Dave928S 11-20-2011 08:42 PM

The doctor is correct ...

polecat702 11-20-2011 08:54 PM

Sean, It really does pull out, you might have to work on it a little. I put mine in a vise, an used a couple of pry bars to get it off. I had to replace my MC, got it from NAPA, rebuilt. Everything about the job is in the search feature of this forum.

BTW, EVERYTHING YOU WILL EVER NEED TO KNOW ABOUT YOUR CAR, IS IN THIS FORUM!!!

BTW, the car in your avatar is black, but the car in the pictures you posted is yellow, you don't happen to have the mysterious yellow 928 that everyone is trying to get a picture of, do you?

Mrmerlin 11-20-2011 10:27 PM

you may find that even replacement seals wont cure the leak as the bore that holds the seals is usually corroded and since its not smooth the seals will leak.
BUT try it first,
if no good then replace the MC

Roger sells the new silicone blue hose
i would also suggest to use ATE super blue fluid on the brake system,
it will keep it working for a long time,
try not to mix fluids as they usually will swell the seals.

To clean the reservoir first rinse out with brake cleaner,
then add some simple green and hot water shake vigorously rinse and repeat,
then shake the reservoir dry,l
then add 1 oz of isopropil alcohol shake and drain,
then add more shake and drain,
then blow dry with a hair drier,
the reservoir will look brand new

justaguy 11-20-2011 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by dr bob (Post 9040107)
Replacing that "ratty blue hose" will be the most fun part of your project. Just sayin'

Yes I know I've done it before unfourtunately.

justaguy 11-20-2011 11:21 PM

My yellow car is a custom hand built 1980 wide body. With a 422 intercooled wipple supercharger built by Richard Hatfield in the late 90's for open road racing 550 hp @ 11 PSI. There are a few pic on here somewhere search my posts I think one of the threads was " new to boost"

Mrmerlin 11-21-2011 12:31 AM

if your building a fast car i wouldnt even mess with the replacing the seals for the reservoir put a new master cylinder in

jpitman2 11-21-2011 01:34 AM

They are std ATE grommets as used on MB etc. Dirt cheap. When I got mine, they leaked all over, so needed replacing. Several years later I accidentally lifted the reservoir out of one while pressure bleeding. Could not get the tube back in - grommet had swelled too much, so had to replace them again....
jp 83 Euro S AT 54k

justaguy 11-21-2011 02:19 AM

MB? But thanks ,I will pick up some grommets tomorrow. Motor Boats, Moma Bears,Many Bits, Mikes Balls,Minni bikes,Master Blaster,Miscelaneous Bores, Many Brakes, You've stumped me, Dunno.
Sean

jpitman2 11-21-2011 03:06 AM

Sorry, it was obvious to me...German car, brakes, ATE (Alfred Teves), Mercedes -Benz. Many times parts we have in common with mercedes are cheaper thrpough their dealers. If the old grommets havent turned to mush, I bet you will read 'ATE' on them somewhere. When I asked for these at MB parts outlet, the guy didnt flinch, didnt look up anything, just reached around to a bin, pulled them out. Try your nearest MB or BMW outlet.
jp 83 Euro S AT 54k