Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   85 auto at Crazy Ray's u-pull-it yard Baltimore (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/665325-85-auto-at-crazy-rays-u-pull-it-yard-baltimore.html)

Eplebnista 11-15-2011 05:13 PM

85 auto at Crazy Ray's u-pull-it yard Baltimore

I had a scheduled medical test cancelled today so I stopped off at Crazy Ray's junkyard in Hawkins Point on the very slim chance that I could find some trim (on backorder at dealer) that my daily driver lost after I took out a raccoon.

No joy on what I needed but there is an 85 928 in the yard. The instrument cluster is gone so I have no idea of the mileage. Interior is stripped or trashed. TT gone, air pump gone, no fan shroud, no plastic intake bits, driver's side fender has dent near headlight. Windshield gone, all other glass good. No front spoiler, front bumper cover rough. Rear bumper cover good, tailight lenses cracked or gone. Heavily oxidized rear spoiler intact. Headlight buckets intact.

I did not think to see if the timing belt had failed. Most everything under the hood was still there, although part of the intake manifold was in the car. Oil pan had been dinged but the alternator bosses were intact.

You won't run into your broker or accountant at Crazy Ray's. You will have an interesting multicultural experience and, if they have what you need, you can take it home for a song. If you yank the engine from this car, it is yours for $200.

I don't have a 928 and yet and my search for one is likely on hold until the spring. I have no affiliation with the salvage yard and offer this only in the off chance a local board member can take advantage of the opportunity. As a newbie, I hope this is not inappropriate.

FREAKINHEAT 11-15-2011 05:22 PM

That 928 has been there for some time as I was walking through there at some point looking for other car parts. I never paid much attention to it since it was an ob and I have an '88. Good looking out though. I am also in Millersville, MD.

Randy V 11-15-2011 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Eplebnista (Post 9027232)
You will have an interesting multicultural experience

Hold my beer - watch this!

Ed Scherer 11-15-2011 05:47 PM

No comment on this thread other than to say, "Nice avatar, Otto." I take it you've been thinking about the U.S. constitution a bit?

Nobody can do the preamble like Shatner. :)

SteveG 11-15-2011 05:57 PM

Otto: Could you post an intersection or some way to find or contact this yard?

DonT 11-15-2011 06:18 PM

Crazy Ray's info

Link ~ http://www.crazyraysautoparts.com/

----------------------------------------------------------

9 Things any good Crazy Rays Customer should know:

1. You must be over 18 to enter, no children.

2. There is a $1.00 entry fee per person.

3. All parts must be marked by staff.

4. No Jacks, we will lift the car for you. Sorry Jack.

5. We do not keep an inventory. It is constantly rotating.

6. We are open 7 days a week. 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.

No One Admitted After 4:30 PM.

7. All parts are sold as is. No refunds. No exchanges.

8. We do not rent tools. Bring your own tools.

9. All prices double at 5:15 P.M.

georgeb 11-15-2011 08:07 PM

Thanks For the information Otto, I am in Crownsville, not to far from you in Millersville. I am planning a trip to Crazy Rays tomorrow.

Eplebnista 11-15-2011 09:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hope this helps someone. If any of you local guys ever want to show off your car, send me a pm. :D

Cell phone pics. Sad, but the jump post cover is still there:

Glenn M 11-16-2011 12:48 AM

Saw the car Saturday while looking for parts for the honda my son crashed.
Didn't have the time to look it over, would have been good to check to see if it had LSD.

danglerb 11-16-2011 01:12 AM

Get the vin and we could check.

intrepidagent 11-16-2011 08:29 AM

Did anyone see any 944 / 951 / 924's there?

Mike Frye 11-16-2011 08:41 AM

hmmm. $200 for an engine. Might be worth the trip.

I miss the days when we used to have U-pick junkyards here in NJ. Now they're against the law (like everything else here). I might need to road trip on down there and pick a few bits off of this.

Thanks for posting and for the pics!!

PS- that strut brace is straight and the insulation under the hood is clean too. May have been a low mile car. It looks better than mine...

Eplebnista 11-16-2011 10:55 AM

There is a 924. Glanced at it just long enough to see it wasn't a 944. Cant tell you anything more.

SteveG 11-16-2011 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Frye (Post 9028623)
hmmm. $200 for an engine. Might be worth the trip.

I miss the days when we used to have U-pick junkyards here in NJ. Now they're against the law (like everything else here). I might need to road trip on down there and pick a few bits off of this.

Thanks for posting and for the pics!!

PS- that strut brace is straight and the insulation under the hood is clean too. May have been a low mile car. It looks better than mine...

Mike You have PM.