Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Selling Phone Dials on CL and getting scammed! (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/634615-selling-phone-dials-on-cl-and-getting-scammed.html)

vanster 05-20-2011 08:25 PM

Selling Phone Dials on CL and getting scammed!

1 Attachment(s)
I had posted an ad on CL to sell my 15" phone dials and tires.
Got a an email response from a buyer that wanted them in the worst way and would send a check the following day and arrange pick up...cool!
Fast forward...few days later he tells me that his secretary send a check for $2,950 by mistake, but all I needed to do was cash the check and deduct the cost of the wheels, add $50 for my efforts.
Mail Gram back the balance.
This is a scam! I called his bank once I got the check. The bank knew all about this guy. His company is called Eastside Entertainment.
Anyone interested in a set of "15" Phone Dials with new tires?

vanster
80 5sp

Ducman82 05-20-2011 08:28 PM

He might be a Nigerian prince, could be legit. :-p

James Bailey 05-20-2011 08:44 PM

That happened on Craig's list ????? What is the world coming to.....so just for clarification how much did you want for the wheels not that I need them.

bronto 05-20-2011 09:15 PM

Very common scam. You send him balance of his money back, his check later bounces, you're out what you sent him.

Richard S 05-20-2011 10:52 PM

Congrats on your first scam trophy! Mount it proudly on your wall, and start collecting others.

Rich

Mrmerlin 05-20-2011 10:54 PM

just tell him your sending his check back as your bank wont accept it,
and that you need a postal money order for the correct amount.
Postal money order translates to a federal crime via mail fraud so his risk factor goes way up

vanster 05-21-2011 12:08 AM

I emailed him and told him that I spoke with his bank in Ill and they agreed to release funds.
I thanked him for buying a set a 15" phone dials for $2950. Delivery is still extra and he needs someone to come and pick them up. I have pinned the check to my office wall.

I want $300 for the wheels and tires. I think it's fair price. The tires are like new and they clean an in my garage. Not that many heat cycles thru them and have hardly seen the light of day.

Dean_Fuller 05-21-2011 03:44 AM

Where are you located?

911tracker85 05-21-2011 11:10 AM

what are the rim widths and offset on them? been thinking of getting a set of 15" for my 911 track car.

RKD in OKC 05-21-2011 11:27 AM

Those scammers sent me 3 $3000 "cashiers checks" for a $200 set of cocoa mats for a BMW X3. I took the checks to my bank and ask the teller to verify the checks before depositing, the bank they were written on had no record of the check numbers so I gave the checks and copies of the emails to my local police to put in their files. Sent the buyer an email telling them my bank refused to cash the checks and that any form of payment they sent would have to clear my bank before I sent them anything. Never heard back.

On the bright side told the story to my dentist whom informed my she had just bought an X3 and took the cocoa mats in trade for the bridge I was in getting.