Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   temp gauge reading curiosity. (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/634536-temp-gauge-reading-curiosity.html)

911tracker85 05-20-2011 02:28 PM

temp gauge reading curiosity.

I have an '84 928. my question is basically a curiosity, I DO NOT have an overheating problem.

I have owned the car for 3+ yrs, using as a semi-daily driver. what I have noticed is in the winter/cold weather, the temp gauge reads just a little higher than when it is warm/hot.

now that we are having warm weather, the temp gauge tends to sit right at the 9 o'clock, and during the winter/cold weather it will tend to sit at about 930-10

seems like just the opposite of what I would expect. wonder if when it is cold, the incoming water from the radiator causes the thermostat to not fully open.

TB/WP done just before I got the car, flushed system just over a year ago, and the car temp gauge has behaved this way the entire time I have had it.

I did not research the coolant flow in the WSM. I did a search and did not see any postings on this specific issue.

again, just a curiosity.:confused:

porsche928guy 05-20-2011 04:12 PM

Interesting issue. I know my temp gauge on the 82 will jump slightly depending on what accessories I have running. You might try turning things on that would duplicate what you'd do during the winter (defrost, heater, rear defrost, etc.)

How is Park Hills nowadays?

911tracker85 05-20-2011 05:53 PM

Jeremy,
today PH is sunny, dry, & warm day. my dad lives in kansas city. seems like we get KC weather a day or so later. but this spring we keep getting a lot more of the rain pushed up from the south.

how is that 85 running?

waiting on my new fuel pump from Roger, a preemptive replacement as it is starting to buzz. then this winter install the new shocks and MM I already have. once done I will have all the mechanical stuff up to date. starting to think SC.

should have bought that 85 you have from Carl. :banghead:

my wife still hates my shark...:crying:

regarding the temp gauge. does not seem to relate to other elec user. whatever the temp is shows, remains pretty steady. I keep meaning to check the radiator with my IR gun when showing different readings, but never remember.

just a curiosity. Ruby is running great.

dogleg 05-20-2011 06:34 PM

i have an 81 euro and noticed something yesterday with the temp gauge.i've never had any running hot issues and i have never had to top up the coolant level,but i had noticed lately sometimes the gauge reads perfect at 9 o clock and sometimes constant at 10 o clock,well i realized yesterday if i have the parking lights on it reads high if there off it reads low.i figure its a bad connection at the back of my clocks,they do a few other strange things also.your symptoms sound exactly the same as mine please check and let me know.

jpitman2 05-20-2011 11:27 PM

My 83 (elelctric fan conversion)runs just above horizontal when cruising, no accessories on, and the fans cycling hold it just below the second white mark. As soon as I turn any lights on, MOSTLY, the needle kicks up 1 to 1.5 needle widths. Occasionally, while I have lights on, in cool weather, it doesnt do this, and indicates cooler than I would expect. I put the needle kick with lights down to the pod connections needing a clean, but I havent got around to it yet. Every now and again I toy with putting a modern digital temp gauge on the thermostat housing, waiting for something cheap to appear....
jp 83 Euro S AT 53k