Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   928 in bodyshop.. Dripping Springs, TX (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/633685-928-in-bodyshop-dripping-springs-tx.html)

BPG_Austin 05-16-2011 12:08 PM

928 in bodyshop.. Dripping Springs, TX

There's a black 928 sitting outside a bodyshop on Hwy 290 headed west toward Dripping Springs. No rear bumper cover.. Otherwise a sharp car from the other side of the fence. Tires are flat, looks like its been there quite a while.. I drive by it almost daily. I thought I remembered some RL talk on this car before. Is the owner a member here or does anyone know anything about this car?

Ben

soontobered84 05-16-2011 03:28 PM

What's with Dripping Springs? I bought 2 928's there a couple of years ago (the Jalapeno and the Quartzmetallic '83 that was supposed to be a parts car before I reanimated and sold it). Is there a vortex or something about Dripping Springs that draws 928s to it's center?
You Austin guys need to check that out to find out what is with Dripping Springs

BPG_Austin 05-16-2011 03:58 PM

Ranch land. Where cool old stuff goes to die..

Dinsdale Piranha 05-16-2011 05:59 PM

It's the Vodka that they make there!

pcar928fan 05-16-2011 06:18 PM

I think it might have something to do with John Teague! LOL! A few here would know him...more over on the 911 parts of RL probably do! I like the guy, but only let him work on your car at the race track so you can take it home with you at the end of the weekend! Right Donald! LOL! ;) Sorry I couldn't resist!

:icon107:

BPG_Austin 05-16-2011 06:31 PM

Thought you might know something about this James. This car belongs to John then? Why has it been sitting outside for so long. (years?) Seems like his car is slowly baking away to junk status.
bodyshop must own it by now...?

pcar928fan 05-16-2011 06:35 PM

NO, I don't know anything about that car. I just know that John sucks nice cars in to his shop and then they disappear there for what may be MANY YEARS before resurfacing! LOL! I know nothing about this car and have never seen it!

John C (DriftKing) I didn't realize you had bought those cars out of DS years ago and that Jalapeno was one of them! Very cool! I'll say it again...if that car were a Rogerbox instead of a 5spd I'd already own it!

soontobered84 05-17-2011 12:09 AM

James,
Yes, I came down with a 30' flatbed trailer and took them both home.
The Jalapeno had been fitted with the '83's fuel pump, and the '83's fuel tank was in the passenger seat. The front of the '83 engine was mostly off the car. The Jalapeno ran (barely) since the fuel pressure requirements for a CIS are much greater than what the '83 fuel pump could muster. I refitted the fuel tank and put the original fuel pump back on the '83. I took the timing belt the rest of the way off the '83 to figure out why this was sold as a parts car. Apparently, the PO "mechanic" had chosen NOT to use the $2 tensioner arm bushings and figured that electrical tape would suffice. As soon as the tape warmed up, the tensioner arm wobbled the timing belt off the cam gears. Thus, the car became a "parts car". I did a proper timing belt, tensioner, and water pump job, replaced the fuel injection relay, and the car started right up. It drove great. Not real pretty, but it ran great.

The Jalapeno presented other problems because: 1) it is the first and only CIS car in my garage, and 2) when the fuel pump was replaced, adjustments were made to the fuel pressures to compensate for the reduced fuel pressure of the incorrect fuel pump. It was necessary, therefore, to secure a pressure gauge to corrcetly set the pressures before I could even hope to get running right.

I have seen several 928s on both CL and EBay for sale from Dripping Springs. I just find it hard to believe that a wide place in the road would be home to so many sharks. :)

pcar928fan 05-17-2011 12:26 AM

Must be some sort of strange shark vortex there sucking them all in!!!

Well, you are doing gods work there Big John! Saving sharks is a noble hobby!

soontobered84 05-17-2011 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by pcar928fan (Post 8560406)
Well, you are doing gods work there Big John! Saving sharks is a noble hobby!

James, It's a hobby that keeps me sane......sometimes. Hopefully it isn't the same guy that was working on these cars as was working on Donald's car. That would scare me.

Ben, Everybody should have more than one shark

pcar928fan 05-17-2011 12:34 AM

Me too, but more like RARELY in my case! LOL! At some point we need to gather as many GPW GTS's together as we can for a nice little photo shoot! I would suggest 3rd Coast but now that is way up in Canada so I certainly won't make it anymore... (remember same weekend as my Alma Mater homecoming.)

goldloccks 06-27-2013 04:03 PM

abandoned 928s

if ya'll are still out there. did you ever take any picks of the abandoned 928. or get to the back to see the license plate SB6 CK Olympic rings?

thanks

BPG_Austin 06-27-2013 05:21 PM

Wow, this thread is 2 years old now. Car isn't at the bodyshop anymore. I have no idea where it finally went.

h011yw00d 06-27-2013 05:41 PM

No rear bumper cover = no license plate. Looking for a stolen shark G?

goldloccks 06-28-2013 02:29 PM

DTP

I didn't think so, but I was told the car was in storage, not left for dead and rotting in the sun. According to John at AMM collision he still has the car, but I believe he was looking to take it by storage fee lien. What I call deceptive trade practices....one way to get yourself a free 928S. One would think you would take better care of it?!