Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   The Coca-cola car on track (video) (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/618066-the-coca-cola-car-on-track-video.html)

Abby Normal 02-22-2011 11:09 AM

The Coca-cola car on track (video)

More of a soundtrack than a video, so turn up the sound!

The reactions this car gets at PCA and various track events is amazing!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/v...if_t=video_tag

Erik N 02-22-2011 11:36 AM

I didn't know Porsche made a V-8...

Th Dude 02-22-2011 11:37 AM

:thumbup:

Amazing! They should all sound that good.

SeanR 02-22-2011 11:52 AM

Did I miss something Abby? Have you always been in Na'leans? Thought you lived up in the NE.

Car sounds great too.

AO 02-22-2011 12:34 PM

Sounds mean! :cheers:

Abby Normal 02-22-2011 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by SeanR (Post 8322425)
Did I miss something Abby? Have you always been in Na'leans? Thought you lived up in the NE.

Car sounds great too.

New Orleans is home. We moved to Georgia in 2006 and back to NOLA in 2010

I have a hard time keeping track of it too.... ;)

Black Sea RD 02-22-2011 09:20 PM

Hi Abby,

Glad to see the beast on the track! Sounds mean as ever and glad to see you enjoying it.

That sounds is coming through MSDS headers into a custom stainless steel Y pipe and into a 3.5 inch stainless exhaust pipe with one Magnaflow straight through stainless muffler. I was always complimented on the sound when I was running it in Florida at DEs.

Seems that new engine you just put in is running quite well!

Have fun,

KLVA 02-22-2011 09:55 PM

Sweet sounds.....

JWise 02-22-2011 11:23 PM

Abby - did you buy this car from a guy out of Houston (Tim Westby?) If so, I think I may have seen it run years ago when the 928 OCIC had a track event at Hallett Motor Speedway west of Tulsa. Great car! :thumbup:

Black Sea RD 02-23-2011 07:27 AM

Hi Jarrod,

I'll answer this for Abby and he can chime in too.

I originally bought this car from Tim Westby in August of 2001. I brought it home and then went through it since it was a bit rough. There was a roll cage in it, JRZ shocks, Sparco Race seats, harnesses, Momo race steering wheel, Fikse wheels, RMB on a stock exhaust and MSDS headers and a few other tweaks.

But the full interior was still in the car, the roll cage was unpainted and a bit rusty, AC/heater still in it and so on. I went through it and dismantled the car and interior and spent over a year cleaning, painting and lightening the car. Too much to list here but a few of the tweaks included custom stainless exhaust, carbon fiber sunroof panel, all aluminum radiator, Accusump, fully painted and polished interior and a custom hitch arrangement in the back to drag around a small trailer to the track.

The car was being run in PCA track days in south Florida and it caught the eye of a Excellence magazine contributor who wrote a story about it in the Feb. 2005 edition.

A few years later I converted it to a 5 speed and put in a fire system to have none other than Mark Anderson come race it in the PCA 48 Hours of Sebring races in 2007. John Veninger with his newly built stroker 928 racer and David Lloyd with his green 928 racer were also there. I put on the Coca-Cola graphics to mimic the famous mid 1980's Coca-Cola Porsche racers since it was already red and the same vintage as those other racers.

The race weekend went well and Mark A. was having fun with it on the track. Unfortunately the car's engine expired on the very last lap of the sprint race on the Saturday of that event. With 130,000+ miles on that engine I well knew it was a possibility. But it was a blast and we all had a great time to see three 928 racers on track at the PCA race weekend. John Veninger won that sprint race in GT2S, a first for a 928 racer, but had to retire with a broken rear end. David Lloyd was the only racer to run the extended Enduro race the next day. There hasn't been any other 928 race cars at that event since!

It was afterward that Abby bought the racer and put in a new engine, did some more tweaks and started to drive it at track events himself. He can fill in the rest of it from there.

Cheers,

Brett928S2 02-23-2011 07:37 AM

Hi :)

I like other dont have a Facebook account....which means we cannot login and see it, any chance of uploading the video to YouTube ?

All the best Brett :)

FBIII 02-23-2011 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Brett928S2 (Post 8325346)
Hi :)

I like other dont have a Facebook account....which means we cannot login and see it, any chance of uploading the video to YouTube ?

All the best Brett :)

+1

Th Dude 02-23-2011 11:36 AM

You shouldn't require a Facebook account to view this video. I don't have one. Just click the link, it'll take you to the page with the vid.:bigbye:

S4ordie 02-23-2011 11:52 AM

Great short video. Your car sounds great!

James Bailey 02-23-2011 01:44 PM

Yea I get this......Facebook Login

You must log in to see this page.

Email:Password:
Keep me logged in
or Sign up for Facebook
Forgot your password?