Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Empty shell to finished car (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/607482-empty-shell-to-finished-car.html)

Mrmerlin 12-22-2018 09:55 PM

Merry Christmas Carl,
I hope you get to spend some quality time with your family,
be well my friend!

FLYVMO 12-23-2018 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mrmerlin (Post 15515846)
Merry Christmas Carl,
I hope you get to spend some quality time with your family,
be well my friend!

Merry Christmas Stan!

Yes, I actually get so spend it at home with my daughter this year :)
Enjoy the holidays and keep the blue side up!

Take care my friend,
Carl

Carl Fausett 01-03-2019 10:15 AM

Carl,

Is the windshield still out of your shell? I'm trying to find out the weight of the stock windshield.

Carl

FLYVMO 01-03-2019 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Carl Fausett (Post 15538293)
Carl,

Is the windshield still out of your shell? I'm trying to find out the weight of the stock windshield.

Carl

Hi Carl,

No sorry, it is mounted. While I don't have an exact number, it was not very heavy as I recall when lifting it around.

Cheers!
Carl

FLYVMO 02-05-2019 07:03 AM

Digit-Dash connectors and testing

While working on a different project, I came across a need for new connectors for the digital dash. After asking around, no one seemed to know where to get them or what the part number was as it is not listed in PET.
Well, here it is: Part # 944.612.311.00 which is a 944 part shared with the 928. I got a kit including 4 connectors and "pins" (whatever the term is for a circuit board connector).

Having new connectors allowed me to fabricate a test connector for verifying that a digital-dash functions (power and mileage) properly. It makes it way more convenient than attaching test leads to individual circuit board leads.
These new connectors also makes it MUCH easier to install a digital-dash in any 928 as a custom harness can be built without having to splice into an old harness.

Cheers!
Carl

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...1dbf8eefec.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e83097cffe.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...fca0052bbe.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...8c0a5c7494.jpg

NelaK 02-05-2019 08:57 AM

That looks quite useful.

It's been so long that I've been following your project but I think I recall you mentioning at one point that you had found a company to develop the digital dash? Has that changed? It sounds like you're doing it yourself now? I've probably missed or forgotten the details but what's the plan there?

​​​​​

FLYVMO 02-05-2019 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by NelaK (Post 15616970)
That looks quite useful.

It's been so long that I've been following your project but I think I recall you mentioning at one point that you had found a company to develop the digital dash? Has that changed? It sounds like you're doing it yourself now? I've probably missed or forgotten the details but what's the plan there?

​​​​​

That goal has not changed, but it has been delay after delay, so I am hedging my bets, and working on the stock digital dash until I actually have the LCD and BCM (Body Control Module) in hand. That way I don't lose too much time having to go back to the stock setup.
With that said, I was told a few weeks ago that the system was 4 months away from production, so stay tuned as they say :)

Cheers!
Carl

NelaK 02-05-2019 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by FLYVMO (Post 15617735)
That goal has not changed, but it has been delay after delay, so I am hedging my bets, and working on the stock digital dash until I actually have the LCD and BCM (Body Control Module) in hand. That way I don't lose too much time having to go back to the stock setup.
With that said, I was told a few weeks ago that the system was 4 months away from production, so stay tuned as they say :)

Cheers!
Carl

Has it been 4 months away for the past 4 years? :P

I'm really excited to see what is being worked on. I've been investigating doing it myself but so far I'm not really happy with the LCD display options. The combination of -60C rating, odd size and high resolution is tough to find. At one point I wanted a high refresh display too but gave up on that.

FLYVMO 02-05-2019 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by NelaK (Post 15617780)
Has it been 4 months away for the past 4 years? :P

I'm really excited to see what is being worked on. I've been investigating doing it myself but so far I'm not really happy with the LCD display options. The combination of -60C rating, odd size and high resolution is tough to find. At one point I wanted a high refresh display too but gave up on that.

Yes hard to believe, but time flies when one does not pay attention :)

If you know how to hack firmware, you could get a used Tesla display, which is the same size as my project, I think it runs a 1080 resolution, and those displays are reliable. There are other options, including near 4K, coming out, also in that same form factor.
At the distance the display sits in relation to the driver's eyes, I really don't think a super high resolution display is necessary. Refresh rate, brightness, no glare and color gamut being much more important

NelaK 02-05-2019 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by FLYVMO (Post 15617851)
Yes hard to believe, but time flies when one does not pay attention :)

If you know how to hack firmware, you could get a used Tesla display, which is the same size as my project, I think it runs a 1080 resolution, and those displays are reliable. There are other options, including near 4K, coming out, also in that same form factor.
At the distance the display sits in relation to the driver's eyes, I really don't think a super high resolution display is necessary. Refresh rate, brightness, no glare and color gamut being much more important

A high refresh 1080p IPS would be amazing. An OLED would be better but brightness and size (at reasonable costs) is an issue with them. The problem with Chinese suppliers is that it's often hard to know what you're getting... The idea of potentially hacking a Tesla display is kind of interesting. I'll have to look into it.

rjtw 09-13-2019 07:25 PM

Carl, I just ran across this thread from a reference in another thread about soundproofing. What an amazing project! Do you have any engine pictures, and what's the ETA for getting that installed?

I also wanted to give a huge thumbs up on your choice of House of Kolor products. I've done a traditional multistage "Kandy" Apple Red project with HoK products. I think HoK may make the most impressive show-like finishes on the market, with the greatest variety of eye-popping colors and effects available. The urethane clear, too, is easy to shoot and wet sand and polish to leave an unparalleled mirror finish. When the time comes, I suggest a traditional carnauba wax, as that seems to do the impossible in making it even deeper than it already was.

Thanks for sharing and good luck on the home stretch!!

Rick

MN 01-22-2020 02:32 PM

Last post 02-05-2019!

Hope this isn't the end.

FLYVMO 01-23-2020 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by rjtw (Post 16102906)
Carl, I just ran across this thread from a reference in another thread about soundproofing. What an amazing project! Do you have any engine pictures, and what's the ETA for getting that installed?

I also wanted to give a huge thumbs up on your choice of House of Kolor products. I've done a traditional multistage "Kandy" Apple Red project with HoK products. I think HoK may make the most impressive show-like finishes on the market, with the greatest variety of eye-popping colors and effects available. The urethane clear, too, is easy to shoot and wet sand and polish to leave an unparalleled mirror finish. When the time comes, I suggest a traditional carnauba wax, as that seems to do the impossible in making it even deeper than it already was.

Thanks for sharing and good luck on the home stretch!!

Rick

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the suggestions, currently it has Mother's "Tech wax" on it, I found it to last longer yet being very gentle on the paint. Unfortunately no engine pictures available yet, and no ETA as I'm a little sidetracked at the moment, but project is still ongoing :)

Cheers!
Carl

FLYVMO 01-23-2020 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by MN (Post 16370690)
Last post 02-05-2019!

Hope this isn't the end.

No way :) Just busy with a side project that is taking up my time at the moment.....updates soon I hope.

Cheers!
Carl

drooman 01-23-2020 04:32 PM

Carl are you in town for Amelia weekend?