Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Empty shell to finished car (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/607482-empty-shell-to-finished-car.html)

FLYVMO 10-16-2016 05:38 PM

Hi NelaK,

Some issues you may run into is the wiper motor control (unless you keep that wiring intact) and the door locks ('79 has vacuum control), which requires some later model hardware, but otherwise not a big problem. Otherwise it is pretty straightforward, and for the simplest system you could go with the Arduino type board and lots of GPIOs and relays, all the way up to the Infinitybox system. One thing to keep in mind (should you ever sell the car) is that it would be prudent to make sure all stock features are working like stock or at least installed. Nothing worse than buying a car and finding out half the stuff has been removed or just gutted. There is another system like the Infinitybox in the works, with much more advanced features, but it won't be any cheaper...more on that later. Just higher quality components and smaller footprint.

The LCD is controlled by SoC circuitry located on a board mounted on the back of the LCD. The software and programming is proprietary, but the end user will be able to designate what each GPI does (type of input) and limits for that device/sender. It is similar to the Nvidia boards for cars, but that system is for OEM only, whereas the company making my system will make it for the aftermarket.

Cheers!
Carl

NelaK 10-16-2016 06:10 PM

The Arduino route is exactly what I was thinking. Arduino + CAN Bus modules in nice weather proofed enclosures. Can bus wouldnt strictly be necessary but it's a fairly simple system and it could potentially allow for interoperability with a variety of systems.

And that's really interesting about the instrument cluster. Any ball park figures on what it's going to end up costing?

Also, I think you mentioned at one point that you were looking at installing an ABS system? Are you going for the aftermarket Bosch system? I've heard of people transplanting ABS systems from other cars.

FLYVMO 10-16-2016 10:07 PM

Most Arduino compatible boards can be had with CAN bus on them and it would be advisable to have that as there are now wiper motors and other devices that can be controlled via data link as an example. It allows for easier expansion in the future I think.

Instrument cluster price is not set, as I am still in the prototype phase, but the goal is to keep it below $2K, compared to much smaller units currently available for $2,500-$3,500. The LCD will have CANbus connections on it for ease of communication.

ABS can be transplanted from the Corvette as an example, but one would need to change the ABS teeth on the wheel hubs to 46 teeth instead of 45, although it MIGHT work without a tooth change. An additional brake line (2 new ones actually) needs to be installed for the rear wheels as it is a 4-channel system, with yaw sensor. I am currently still using the stock 928GT ABS but it is on the list for the future. Bosch Motorsports aftermarket ABS system is way too expensive at the moment.

Cheers!
Carl

FLYVMO 11-15-2016 07:11 PM

Door window trim install

2 Attachment(s)
Ok so after learning many different ways of how to NOT install the door window trim pieces, I think I found the easiest way. Arrows in picture shows starting point.

Step 1, attach and rivet the plastic trim piece in to front of the window opening.

Step 2, align the curvature of the upper trim piece with the curvature of the rear upper door curve where the arrow is pointing and gently hammer in place with a soft blow hammer or rubber mallet.

Step 3, Slide the lower trim piece in towards the rear where the arrow is pointing which puts the lower trim piece pointing forward at a 45 degree angle. As you slide rear wards simultaneously lower the trim piece and once horizontal, gently hammer in place with rubber mallet or soft blow hammer. The gap between the upper and lower trim pieces at the rear is now perfect.

Once done correctly, it takes less than 10 minutes per side to install the trim.

In celebration, I finished covering the rear tool cover. Small victories. Now for the window seal installation....to be continued.

Cheers!
Carl

Chris Lockhart 11-16-2016 10:17 AM

Excellent info. Thanks. Such an awesome project.

FLYVMO 11-17-2016 07:19 PM

Door glass install

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks Chris!

Finished the driver's side door glass install today. I found it easier to put the glass in the door first, then install the trim and seals. I realized that it would be helpful to have three or more hands, so I picked up some glass suction handles from Harbor Freight, and with them holding the glass up, it was easy to install the window regulator and guide bar. All the nylon guides including roller was replaced with new parts, and the felt window guides as well.

I also rebuilt the window motor with fresh grease and tested it with a bench top power supply. Success, it works :) Window motor hopefully goes in tomorrow. Then onto training the InMotion controller for the up and down functions.

The car is in desperate need of a bath, so once the passenger side glass is in, it will get a well deserved wash.

Cheers!
Carl

ramcram 11-19-2016 12:09 AM

That's good info Carl. We stripped the doors on mine a while ago and I kept thinking that that process was hard enough, what is reassembly going to be like with fresh paint?
The outside door window trim is a real pain. I love the glass 'sucker' idea.
I've also decided to follow your leed and go door key hole free. I'm thinking of putting 2 battery terminals outside, probably either side of thr rear number plate [suitably fused] to deal with the times when the battery goes flat.

FLYVMO 11-19-2016 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by ramcram (Post 13755843)
That's good info Carl. We stripped the doors on mine a while ago and I kept thinking that that process was hard enough, what is reassembly going to be like with fresh paint?
The outside door window trim is a real pain. I love the glass 'sucker' idea.
I've also decided to follow your leed and go door key hole free. I'm thinking of putting 2 battery terminals outside, probably either side of thr rear number plate [suitably fused] to deal with the times when the battery goes flat.

I kept the hatch lock primarily for that reason, just in case the battery dies and I have to get into the car. But I also have permanent wiring directly to the battery posts for the Optima digital charger/maintainer, and that connector will be mounted with external access. Battery has also been upgraded to an AGM style battery, and so far it has been holding a charge much longer than my previous conventional "wet cell"ever did.

Cheers!
Carl

ramcram 11-20-2016 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by FLYVMO (Post 13756073)
I kept the hatch lock primarily for that reason, just in case the battery dies and I have to get into the car. But I also have permanent wiring directly to the battery posts for the Optima digital charger/maintainer, and that connector will be mounted with external access. Battery has also been upgraded to an AGM style battery, and so far it has been holding a charge much longer than my previous conventional "wet cell"ever did.

Cheers!
Carl

I'm also keeping the hatch lock but it will be beyond me to climb in that way.
I've ordered the 'inRESERVE' component fom infinity. This unit cuts the battery if the voltage alls too low and reconnects it when the remote is pressed.
How's the dash project comming along?

FLYVMO 11-20-2016 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by ramcram (Post 13757677)
I'm also keeping the hatch lock but it will be beyond me to climb in that way.
I've ordered the 'inRESERVE' component fom infinity. This unit cuts the battery if the voltage alls too low and reconnects it when the remote is pressed.
How's the dash project comming along?

Hi Mike,

Project is ongoing, slightly delayed but still alive :) Latest timeframe is prototype early spring, in frequent contact with the manufacturer. Also working with them on 928 specific stuff for their upcoming multiplexing products. How far away are you from installing the electrical system?

Cheers!
Carl

ramcram 11-20-2016 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by FLYVMO (Post 13758050)
Hi Mike,

Project is ongoing, slightly delayed but still alive :) Latest timeframe is prototype early spring, in frequent contact with the manufacturer. Also working with them on 928 specific stuff for their upcoming multiplexing products. How far away are you from installing the electrical system?

Cheers!
Carl

Quite a way Carl. I haven't recieved the infinity system yet and I haven't finished stripping the donor.
I'm doing a lot of the wiring in my head still, what to include and what not to.
I've finally got all my Cayenne coil pack connectors from a shop in the UK for a good price, plus most of the engine sensors and other connectors.
Because I'm using twin E-throttle bodies, I have to make my own inlet system and that has taken alot of my time. There is so little height space under the 928 bonnet, it's a challenge to get the air volume requirements into the space available.
I want to get this engine stuff as completed as I can before stripping the motor, so I have the real template. [just got a text that the latest lot of manifold welding is done].
I want to get my water bridge at least to 'tacked up' stage before the motor gets stripped.
Greg Brown is working on the pistons and rods as we speak. Because my donor is a low compression 86 5.0L, the 968 pisons have to have a modified crown with custom rods to push them up higher. I have bought thr crank from him.
Being a retiree, I have to buget my enthusiasm carefully!
Mike

FLYVMO 12-08-2016 03:08 PM

Wash Time

3 Attachment(s)
After getting the door glass installed and aligned correctly in both doors, it was time for a well deserved wash, and leak test. Found a couple of small drips that need attention, but nothing major.

Also clocked and aligned the headlight motor and buckets, and then did a power check with the InMotion controller to verify that door glass motors and headlight motor are being controlled properly.

To train the controller, the door glass and headlights are put half-way up, and then the "Train" button is pressed. This causes the controller to cycle each output a few times to learn the current draw.

Next on the list is training the door lock solenoid control.

Cheers!
Carl

77tony 12-08-2016 08:47 PM

Following your lead Carl :bowdown: When was the last time she saw the sun :D T

FLYVMO 12-09-2016 08:37 AM

Yesterday :P :D:D

How is JP coming along? Will she make an appearance in Florida in March?

Cheers!
Carl

77tony 12-09-2016 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by FLYVMO (Post 13800660)
Yesterday :P :D:D

How is JP coming along? Will she make an appearance in Florida in March?

Cheers!
Carl

Either under it's own power or on the trailer :D T