Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Empty shell to finished car (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/607482-empty-shell-to-finished-car.html)

FLYVMO 12-26-2010 10:57 PM

Hi Mike and thank you for the kind and inspiring words. I do intend to document everything and progress pictures will be posted here and on my web page. I hope that it can be of help to other 928 owners that are about to go down the same road. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions anyone might have.

It is interesting to see the subtle changes the factory made to the 928, from something as simple as moving a piece of sound insulation 30cm, to adding small brackets and structures to keep the car updated. Yet the managed to keep the soul of the car intact for 16 years. Taking the car apart is an eye opener, and makes one realize how labor intensive this car must have been to assemble.

Happy Holidays!
Carl

FLYVMO 04-19-2011 02:42 PM

Hanz and Franz...no glue gun for you!

5 Attachment(s)
OK, so spring is here and temperatures are comfortable enough to do some work on the car agin. I have been fighting the very stubborn adhesive that holds the interior sound insulation in place. After trying every chemical I could find it, I learned the following:

1 - Hanz and Franz should never be allowed to get near a glue gun again! :banghead:
2 -Most chemicals (including Professional Goo Gone and Goof Off) just makes the glue residue even stickier and creates an even bigger mess (YMMV)
3- Best results I got was with plain mineral spirits, a flexible and thin metal scraper and a coarse 3m scuff pad. Use the scuff pad and scraper to break the surface seal of the adhesive, then apply liberal amounts of mineral spirits :biggulp:. Rinse, repeat and voila! Then using a cloth, damp with mineral spirits, simply wipe up the residue. If the surface is to be primed or painted, follow up with a compatible (for the paint system) wax/grease remover.

A note of caution, it is very easy to break through the VERY thin paint coating on the interior parts, and it will expose naked metal, so priming the surface is highly recommended to avoid any corrosion issues in the future.

If anyone has any ideas of how to remove the airbag sensors (special tool according to WSM), I am open to suggestions :)

The dark brown spots on the firewall is glue...not corrosion. Yes, it was completely removed before priming the firewall, just did not have a picture to show that :)

Cheers!
Carl

Randy V 04-19-2011 02:59 PM

At this rate you should be done sometime in 2019.

:p

FLYVMO 04-19-2011 03:23 PM

Randy: Yes, I may have to build a wheelchair access ramp for my car...by 2019 I will be....old :)

Tony: Thanks, good to be back and family tragedies over with. Seats are looking great, are the installed yet? Looking forward to some pictures of the finished interior :)

Cheers!
Carl
90GT shell in rehab - vomit green with red blotches at the moment....

Other vehicle:white with 212,000 pounds of thrust :)

BigAl1 04-19-2011 03:32 PM

WOW! And I thought I was going pretty far with my rebuild - it doesn't compare to this! Please keep the pics coming.

Mongo 04-19-2011 05:24 PM

You should seriously make this thread your diary for rebuilding this car.

Subscribing now! :D

FLYVMO 06-11-2011 05:12 PM

How to measure progress...? Slowly!!

3 Attachment(s)
OK, so I found some time to get a few things done. The windshield is finally out, unfortunately it cracked during removal. It was attached with some indestructible urethane that simply would not soften. Not even after a full day in the Florida sun did it budge. But at least it gives me an excuse to get a brand new one:)

The front seats are recovered in supple option black leather, and are safely stowed away.

Primed the surfaces inside the car that had been scratched up from removing the sound proofing. Because of the relatively high humidity I don't want to leave exposed metal untreated so I am priming the interior as I go along with HoK epoxy primer. A few pictures attached.

And I great thank you to Tony for sending a nice big box of goodies :)

Cheers!
Carl

77tony 06-11-2011 05:33 PM

Spoke with Carl this morning and there are reasons this build is taking so long. Carl flies 747 Transport planes all over the world that take him away for longish periods of time. His next trip will be 40 straight days before he gets back home to work on this project again. Looks more like 2012, late 2012 ? Looks great & keep plugging Carl because it going to be fantastic when your done. T

Bertrand Daoust 06-11-2011 06:41 PM

Even though I have never done something like that, I think the secret for doing a very good job is to take all the time it needs. It is often a many years project.
It is a seriously done project and I'm sure it will be a hell of a car. :bowdown:
Keep-up the good work. No rush.
Those seats are gorgeous. Wow! :thumbup::cheers:

Dean_Fuller 06-11-2011 08:13 PM

My son's car has taken me over a year now...still not done. BUT...its not a race. When your doing ALL the work yourself a close time frame is out the window. I have deep respect for someone will to go to this level of rebuild. Hats off to You Carl...and BigAL1! Keep the pics coming when you can. I'm watching this rebuild and Al's as well.

FLYVMO 06-11-2011 09:10 PM

Thanks Dean and Bertrand.

Actally, Dean, your project was a great inspiration for me, and I poured over those excellent pictures you posted of your project. It was just the kick in the rear I needed to go ahead with this project. Great stuff and you even did the topcoat yourself, which is something I am not brave enough to attempt.

Cheers!
Carl

Dean_Fuller 06-13-2011 12:07 AM

Carl...you CAN do the paint as well...as long as you have understanding neighbors. Ours are not so close which helps. Its just a lot of work to get it to the paint stage but the actual painting is the easiest part. But it is scary. The whole reason I posted my thread was to encourage others they can do it. I am no rocket scientist.

Keep your pics coming. I am enjoying your thread.

Podguy 06-13-2011 05:15 AM

The place mpst people miss out on is blocking. It is not uncommon to paint a car and discover small dents that were not visable before. I see lots of restorations with door dings and lower panels that have been neglected.

It is almost impossible to to block a car properly without a color coat. Primer will not get the proper reflection to see minor defects. Even a guide coat will not show waves or ripples. The two part paints can be used as a color coat if you are willing to put on a second color coat when everything is properly blocked. Mirrors and bright lights help too.

FLYVMO 01-01-2012 12:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Happy New Year to Everyone!

Wow, this thread is over a year old now, I guess progress on my project have been less than stellar. Anyway, finally have some time to work on the GT project, so it is time to start posting pictures again.

Here are some pictures of suspension components that I have finished refurbishing as well as some rebuilt lower swing arms with new rubber. The difference in thickness between the "new" and old rubber is very significant, but does not show up well in the pictures.

More pictures to come.

Cheers!
Carl
90GT shell projects

Dean_Fuller 01-01-2012 01:20 PM

Looking great Carl !