Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   CARLS SOLID ALLOY MOTOR MOUNTS (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/604433-carls-solid-alloy-motor-mounts.html)

RED SHARK 1990 12-01-2010 02:47 AM

CARLS SOLID ALLOY MOTOR MOUNTS

Can any members here chimed in, if anyone has a set installed on their 928? The ride quality...etc...I want it to be done and not worry about inferior product quality failured. Replaced mine last year from Roger,and also with a Jaeger speed mount in place. It a good chance they might be bad..

Mark SF 12-01-2010 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by RED SHARK 1990 (Post 8098066)
Can any members here chimed in, if anyone has a set installed on their 928? The ride quality...etc...I want it to be done and not worry about inferior product quality failured. Replaced mine last year from Roger,and also with a Jaeger speed mount in place. It a good chance they might be bad..

My original motor mounts only lasted 22 years and 130K miles. It's a disgrace. I hope the new ones I just put in fare better.

RED SHARK 1990 12-01-2010 04:01 AM

MOTOR MOUNTS

Ok wise guy, mine is a daily driver and not a garage queen. I have enough parts to make your car look better in and out.....I am like Rob Edwards before i ask i already owned the parts,and if it does not work i will buy a new one...

Landseer 12-01-2010 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mark SF (Post 8098115)
My original motor mounts only lasted 22 years and 130K miles. It's a disgrace. I hope the new ones I just put in fare better.

Didn't you just buy that car with bad mounts?
They failed >10 years and 50000 miles ago.
You just didn't realize it.

RED SHARK 1990 12-01-2010 04:26 AM

MOTOR MOUNTS

Replaced everything underneath last year,power steering pump,starter,Crc aluminum radiator,all hoses,lower rod bearings,silicone oil pan gasket,motor mounts,Carls alum steering bushings,lower strut brace,Porsche lower ball joints,outer-inner tie rods. then Roger posted bad motor mounts warning which i purchased from him not too long before that posting. Of course the old orig one came off the car was shot,now i might have to do it again.....Thinking a rebuilt engine as i am hoarding parts like a mad man...Getting to 153,000 miles -35,000 a year driving.

Hilton 12-01-2010 05:13 AM

Luan,

Are you sure the ones you installed from Roger are failed? Did you measure between the pan and cross member? Only some of the solid rubber ones failed - I have two sets which are both fine, although purchased about 2 years ago.

I also just installed the Volvo mounts in my '89 - very different to the solid rubber ones, they make the engine sit significantly higher, and they look to be higher quality than the solid rubber ford mounts. Haven't driven the car yet - so can't comment on ride quality differences between the solid rubber and hydraulic.

I do expect the Volvo ones to fail, but not for at least another 6-8 years (based on my experiences with hydraulic mounts in other vehicles like Audi's).

I'd avoid putting solid ones in for street use - you'll negate the whole benefit of isolating vibration of the engine from the chassis, and it'll just ride like it did on failed Porsche ones.

Originally Posted by RED SHARK 1990 (Post 8098145)
Replaced everything underneath last year,power steering pump,starter,Crc aluminum radiator,all hoses,lower rod bearings,silicone oil pan gasket,motor mounts,Carls alum steering bushings,lower strut brace,Porsche lower ball joints,outer-inner tie rods. then Roger posted bad motor mounts warning which i purchased from him not too long before that posting. Of course the old orig one came off the car was shot,now i might have to do it again.....Thinking a rebuilt engine as i am hoarding parts like a mad man...Getting to 153,000 miles -35,000 a year driving.

85euro928 12-01-2010 07:38 AM

I installed a set of the solid aluminum motor mounts about two years ago for the same reason you're thinking of doing it. They do transmit the engine sound into the cabin, but not so much that it would bother you and mostly during the bwaah (which I like). They also give a significant increase in room around the bottom of the engine which was useful when switching out the cast exhaust manifolds for the SS units.

fraggle 12-01-2010 09:20 AM

They sure won't collapse. :)

There is more vibration and noise, but like the last guy, I don't mind. At cruise they I don't notice much difference, I get more tire noise than anything.

GTASHARK 12-01-2010 11:20 AM

Call me crazy but I've had a Jager speed mount III in place for years and the engine vibration of my sagging mounts doesn't bother me.

Speedtoys 12-01-2010 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by RED SHARK 1990 (Post 8098129)
Ok wise guy, mine is a daily driver and not a garage queen. I have enough parts to make your car look better in and out.....I am like Rob Edwards before i ask i already owned the parts,and if it does not work i will buy a new one...

Hmm, yours does sound longer, but in case ya need to borrow one..

http://www.speedtoys.com/~gemohler/ven_rulers_large.jpg

GregBBRD 12-01-2010 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by RED SHARK 1990 (Post 8098066)

Tough to imagine a set of solid mounts on a street car...all that noise and vibration would completely ruin the car, for me.

We use stock mounts...they do last for 22 years and 130,000 miles. We even use stock mounts on the cars that get track use. Anderson and Fan, just to name a couple, have stock mounts.

The solid mounts that were made for the 944 vehicles cracked and broke everything possible. We saw broken motor mount arms, cracked bell housings, broken transmissions....everything that you can imagine broke from the transfer of the harmonics/vibrations.

Note that there is not a separate, removable aluminum motor mount that can be replaced on the 928 engine block, like the 944 has. If there is a vibration/harmonic transfer, the block is going to be the thing that breaks....

However, I'm sure that Carl has thoroughly researched and tested all of the potential issues from running solid mounts.....like he always does. He probably got entire minutes of testing using these mounts on an actual running vehicle, before he started cranking them out and selling them...like he always does. After all, he has a subcription to the SAE magazine. Makes him a genius.

Jerome Craig 12-01-2010 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by GregBBRD (Post 8099245)
However, I'm sure that Carl has thoroughly researched and tested all of the potential issues from running solid mounts.....like he always does. He probably got entire minutes of testing using these mounts on an actual running vehicle, before he started cranking them out and selling them...like he always does. After all, he has a subcription to the SAE magazine. Makes him a genius.

:corn:

123quattro 12-01-2010 04:28 PM

I haven't tried them on my 928, but I do have them on one of my Audis. You can't tell they are even there unless you lug the engine down pretty low in first gear. Then you get some rattle out of the trans. That's it for NVH issues.

dcrasta 12-01-2010 04:28 PM

Solid Mounts are always a 'questionable' if not bad idea on most street cars. My experience on several Mitsubishi turbo 4s and a few v6 cars (VR6 jetta) results in alot of shock and vibration from the road gets transfered to the motor/driveline. The V8 is a bit smoother than the 4 or 6 so it may be more livable, but unless you have a race car and you like tearing it down to replace / repair broken things I would stay with factory style isolators.

Speedtoys 12-01-2010 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by GregBBRD (Post 8099245)

http://www.speedtoys.com/~gemohler/owned.jpg