Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Flasher relay replacement question (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/595078-flasher-relay-replacement-question.html)

jeff spahn 10-07-2010 12:07 AM

Flasher relay replacement question

Okay so I went to fill up tonight and no blinkers, not on the stalk, not on the 4 way hazard switch.
Easy peasy, dead relay.

Here's the question. My local parts store doesn't have the relay, or any crosses that their system shows. I ran through the search function tonight but they didn't have any of the parts listed in the threads so I had to improvise.

I took a different, higher watt rated (162w vs the 84w my current relay showed). Plugged it in and all works fine. All except one thing. It now takes an extra second from the time I flip the turn signal lever to the time the flashers start flashing.

Is there a downside to this or just chalk it up to a different rating on the relay? I needed blinkers, I am driving to the airport an hour away in the morning and had to come up with a solution. I was not about to take the Ford Exploder on a fun hour long freeway trip (Freeway in IA HA!)

Anyway. Chime in an let me know if there is any bad things that could happen as a consequence of this. :confused:

Nicole 10-07-2010 02:38 AM

First of all, you shouldn't have filled-up the blinker fluid tonight... :nono: ;)

If your relay is shot, consider getting a relay that can handle the LED turn signal bulbs. Because sooner or later you'll get clear turn signal lenses with LEDs (that are clear when off), and then a regular relay won't work.

jeff spahn 10-07-2010 08:08 AM

That is a perfect answer from you Nicole. Love it :)

SteveG 10-07-2010 11:40 AM

I don't think any of the Pcar relays are available at the mall parts stores.
But our shark sources have generic "53"s (at $8) and Porsche (at $24) (the signal relay is not one of these). You should carry spare 53s in your glove box.

the turn sig relay is $9.22 and $15.55 at 928gt.com

jthwan22 10-07-2010 12:16 PM

This is a cheap $8 relay. I got from local advance auto parts. I have 3 of this flasher relay because it was not the relay when I lost the blinker function. It was the emergency flasher swithch. Who knew?

jeff spahn 10-07-2010 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by SteveG (Post 7956092)
I don't think any of the Pcar relays are available at the mall parts stores.
But our shark sources have generic "53"s (at $8) and Porsche (at $24) (the signal relay is not one of these). You should carry spare 53s in your glove box.

the turn sig relay is $9.22 and $15.55 at 928gt.com

I carry spare 53's yes, along with a jumper wire and the WSM's in my car (pdf form on my phone/ipad/laptop whichever I am carrying) as well as a CD of the WSM's in the car. Also Wiring diagrams on the back of the footboard by the CE.

Also have a Halon fire suppression system in the car. Never can be too prepared. Just never figured I would need a blinker relay.

philesk 10-07-2010 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by jeff spahn (Post 7955094)
Okay so I went to fill up tonight and no blinkers, not on the stalk, not on the 4 way hazard switch.
Easy peasy, dead relay.

Here's the question. My local parts store doesn't have the relay, or any crosses that their system shows.

On my 90GT I used a relay from Kragen - Blazer #FL35 was $9.99+tax.