Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Part number? (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/595023-part-number.html)

R.Pires 10-06-2010 07:10 PM

Part number?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

I’ve been searching the Forum and also my Pet, and I can’t find the correct part number for the speedometer sender in the transaxle.
The only speedo sender I can find is part number 928 606 210 00, as you can see in the image, that is referred as pulse sender, but that one is located in the pod, behind the speedo, right?
What about the one in the transaxle? Where can I find it and what is the part number?
TIA for your help

Regards:thumbup:

michael j wright 10-06-2010 07:24 PM

Ricardo, that looks like the correct one that you need. I think that they just listed it here as part of the parts group. There is no pulse sender in the pod. If you will look under the car at the diff you will see that the one illistrated is the one described here.

Mike

michael j wright 10-06-2010 07:37 PM

If your speedo quit working, I would first check the four wire connector in the spare wheel well first for bad connection. You can also check to see if you are getting a pulse at this point using a anolog volt meter connected to the wires that plug into the four wire connector. I belive that they are the two black wires(someone please correct me if I am wrong). Just jack up the car far enough to get one of the rear wheels off the ground, and with the meter connected, spin the tire by hand and check the metere for a pulse. It would be very rare to have the pulse sender go bad. If you are getting a pulse at this point and on both sides of the connector, then you need to check at the cruise controll unit, if you have one, and look for pulse at this point. If no then you have a bad wire between the cruise unit and the connector in the spare tire well. If you do have a pulse at this point then check also were the wires plug into the printed circut board, then of course the board to the speedo head itself. Mine had a bad connection from the circut board to the rivets, and ended up having to hard wire it. Good luck-MIke

James Bailey 10-06-2010 10:11 PM

Correct they just show it there when in fact it lives on the differential cover.

R.Pires 10-07-2010 07:59 AM

Hi,

Thanks James and Mike for the explanation.
My speedometer works most of the time, but sometimes, specially when cold, it doesn’t work for the first 5/10 minutes and then suddenly jumps to the correct actual speed and from that moment on it keeps working correctly.
It’s more likely to be a bad contact in the pod, I also have some warning lights off, so I guess my next job is to remove the pod, replace lamps and clean all contacts, after 27 years maybe there’s a “little” dirt in there lol
Thanks again for your help :cheers:

Regards:thumbup: