Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   My 928 storm damage. (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/594968-my-928-storm-damage.html)

Hold On 10-06-2010 01:53 PM

My 928 storm damage.

Got a call from my son in Phoenix last night. I left my car down there on Monday for some maintenance before the 3rd coast ride next month. He got home from work at 6pm to see my car, his wifes new Honda and the house damaged from giant hail stones. The windows are all blown out of the garage door,both cars look like they have the ballpeen hammer look. He sent me some phone pictures last night after he got car in garage. He says the roof,hood,and entire drivers side of car is damaged. I just had the car painted last year. :crying:An hour later and it would have been in garage. :mad:I will post up some pics when I get them.

I am sooooo bummed.....

jeff spahn 10-06-2010 01:59 PM

Well if there is any bright side to this you'll go faster with the dimples. Like a golf ball. When life throws something like this at you it's time to find a silver lining.

Jim M. 10-06-2010 02:21 PM

Find a paintless dent removal place. Many years ago my daughter had severe hail damage to a brand new Neon. Insurance company wanted to replace the hood and cut off and replace the roof. I took it to a paintless guy and he made it perfect. I couldn't believe how good it came out. I got down on all fours to sight down the car and couldn't find a single dent. And the cost was just over 1/3 what the insurance company gave her. Since that experience I've had repairs done to my 928 and a BMW, all came out perfect.

smith 928 10-06-2010 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jim M. (Post 7953347)
Find a paintless dent removal place. Many years ago my daughter had severe hail damage to a brand new Neon. Insurance company wanted to replace the hood and cut off and replace the roof. I took it to a paintless guy and he made it perfect. I couldn't believe how good it came out. I got down on all fours to sight down the car and couldn't find a single dent. And the cost was just over 1/3 what the insurance company gave her. Since that experience I've had repairs done to my 928 and a BMW, all came out perfect.

You are not going to get them out with a dent less remover person,, The hood and fenders, and doors are aluminum will not work aluminum is way to soft to do that just replace it.

Tom in Austin 10-06-2010 03:03 PM

I've had a hail experience and Jim's right, the PDR approach can be a surprisingly good solution

polecat702 10-06-2010 03:58 PM

Wow, Kevin, That really sucks! Hope you find a solution. If there is anything I can do to help, let me know.

Hold On 10-06-2010 04:11 PM

Hey Joe, Dont think I`m gunna do anything until after 3rd Coast. I have to get some estimates. Until I get down there next weekend to see car, I cant worry about it. None of the windows are broken so we plan to do the mech stuff and roll car to TX for the party. I will deal with the damage after that. Kevin

Drewster67 10-06-2010 04:31 PM

It was a MAJOR Storm. Sorry to hear about the damage.

SteveG 10-06-2010 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by smith 928 (Post 7953464)
You are not going to get them out with a dent less remover person,, The hood and fenders, and doors are aluminum will not work aluminum is way to soft to do that just replace it.

Well, . . . . never mind.:biggulp:

I've used it and it works.

Sorry this happened, hope there aren't too many dimples.

cali4sun 10-06-2010 05:29 PM

Sorry to hear that! That really sucks. Best of luck to you!

'89 S4 GP White/Black
'76 912E Silver/Black

jsherid1 10-06-2010 05:30 PM

Regarding the use of paintless dent removal on aluminum. When my Jaguar XJ (X350) got caught in the hail here in Dallas last summer that is what they used for several panels that were not too bad (they replaced a few panels) and it is all aluminum so it does work.

Mark SF 10-06-2010 08:39 PM

Surely paintless dent removal is MORE likely to work with a softer, more ductile material?

Dave928S 10-06-2010 08:59 PM

It does work ... I've personally removed dents on both steel and aluminum and al is easier as you get away with less bashing .. you can just gently work the dent out with less stretching of the metal. Depends on severity obviously, but you've got nothing to lose and everything to gain.

ALKada 10-06-2010 09:28 PM

In Texas we know Football, hot ass weather and hail dent repair. I would be suprised if they could not get most of it out. If your bringing it to Third Coast and have time maybe someone (Hello Austin guys?) could take a look at it for you in Austin?

mpesik 10-06-2010 10:13 PM

Terrible for all of you.
I'm curious. Because the 928 in Aluminum (mostly) was or did you notice any lesser damage to your car as opposed to others?