Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Hatch guide wedge contact tape (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/594440-hatch-guide-wedge-contact-tape.html)

ammonman 10-03-2010 08:05 PM

Hatch guide wedge contact tape

1 Attachment(s)
I have been chasing an annoying squeak from the rear area of the passenger compartment and today I think I figured it out. The part I'm calling the rub plate (Item 36 below) that appears to have been glued to the hatch and rides against the guide wedge (Item 14 below) is missing on both sides allowing the guide wedge to rub directly on the hatch. Now for the $64 dollar question: What is the part number for Item 36? My copy of PET does not even show that part in the list.

Attachment 478629

Thanks

Mike

Nicole 10-03-2010 08:12 PM

This is also called "teflon sticker" 928 512 531 02

Whether this is the culprit can be tested easily by putting some grease on the rubber guides. If the grease stops the squeaking, than the teflon stickers might help.

But quite often the squeaking seems to be caused by a worn in lower hatch receiver, which allows the lock piece, and with it the whole hatch, to move more than it should.

After years or chasing squeaks and rattles from the hatch, replacing the hatch receiver insert made the biggest difference on my car.

However, that doesn't mean you don't need the teflon stickers. You should definitely have those.

ammonman 10-03-2010 08:18 PM

Thanks Nicole. I put some regular clear tape on as a test to see if the squeaking stopped. My hatch seems to latch and hold quite tight, but it may just be that I can't get sufficient leverage by hand to move it around. If the clear tape doesn't work I'll try greasing the guides. Either way I'll get the proper "teflon sticker" for each side.

Mike

Mrmerlin 10-03-2010 08:29 PM

you can use some 3m paint guard cut to the required size then add some die electric grease or Dow Corning 111 grease to the rubbers

Erik N 10-03-2010 09:35 PM

Get some 100% silicon spray from Walmart ($3.00), put it on a paper towel and apply it to the hatch weatherstripping.

Before I did that the hatch made horrendous noise. TOTALLY SILENT now!

jeff spahn 10-03-2010 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Erik N (Post 7945611)
Get some 100% silicon spray from Walmart ($3.00), put it on a paper towel and apply it to the hatch weatherstripping.

Before I did that the hatch made horrendous noise. TOTALLY SILENT now!

I gotta ask about your avatar. Why is your car on its side?

Mrmerlin 10-03-2010 10:13 PM

you can also use the Dow corning 111 on the hatch seal it will keep the rubber soft

SeanR 10-03-2010 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by jeff spahn (Post 7945703)
I gotta ask about your avatar. Why is your car on its side?

Wind, it's strong here in Tx. Ya never want the car cover tied to the car too tight. :)

Erik N 10-04-2010 10:24 AM

That pic is from a few years ago, during the engine transplant/engine bay & chassis refresh. It was over in Marin (Cali) at Dan Brindle's house for a while on his "tilter". The thing bolts to the hubs, then we used a truck jack to lift it. Made working "under the car" obsolete!

That being said, what the pic doesn't show is the clifflike drop-off on the other side of the driveway. If something fell off the curb, it was about a 20' free-fall, then another few hundred feet sliding downhill. And when the car was being tilted, there was a nervous balance point, right as the car's CG changed from horizontal to vertical, when things would get real scary! I literally was hanging on to the front bumper to keep it from dropping into the abyss. :rockon:

But whatever doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, right?
Same thing applies to 928's! :cheers:

shadowknight 10-04-2010 01:03 PM

I purchased the teflon tape from 928intl just a few months back. You might want to check to see if they have any more in stock.

Randy V 10-04-2010 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Nicole (Post 7945414)
After years or chasing squeaks and rattles from the hatch, replacing the hatch receiver insert made the biggest difference on my car.

I think I need one of those inserts. Is it difficult to replace? Does yours come with instructions?

Thanks!

Nicole 10-06-2010 01:27 AM

It's not that hard to install. The trick is how to push down the round plastic piece that's inside - you need some sort of tool or a helper to keep it down while you do the swap. Otherwise it's self explanatory and easy to do. No special instructions needed.

Randy V 10-07-2010 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Nicole (Post 7952203)
It's not that hard to install. The trick is how to push down the round plastic piece that's inside - you need some sort of tool or a helper to keep it down while you do the swap. Otherwise it's self explanatory and easy to do. No special instructions needed.

So that receiver insert just pushes into place and is a friction fit?

Can anyone chime in on the swap?

Thanks.