Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Kendall Versatrans ATF (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/591586-kendall-versatrans-atf.html)

supercedar 09-17-2010 06:19 PM

Kendall Versatrans ATF

I am hoping someone can tell me if this ATF is ok for my 1988 4 speed auto. It is a blended synthetic. From what I searched I see it needs to be Dextron 3 or better as this oil is.
Thanks

Want to be 09-17-2010 07:58 PM

Read the rear label for the Kendal product. The info on the back should tell you which versions is compatible. I understand your concerns, i was confused at first too!

I recently used Valvoline high mileage ATF, its working great and its only 13 dollars a gallon at Wal-Mart. :cheers:

supercedar 09-17-2010 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Want to be (Post 7904544)
Read the rear label for the Kendal product. The info on the back should tell you which versions is compatible. I understand your concerns, i was confused at first too!

I recently used Valvoline high mileage ATF, its working great and its only 13 dollars a gallon at Wal-Mart. :cheers:

The label reads it will not meet Dextron VI or 6 and 7 speed auto's.

Want to be 09-17-2010 09:45 PM

My label (valvoline) stated it would work with Dextron 3 (DEX) ATF model cars.

Unless the products states it is DEX 3 approved , I would not put it in my ATF. I know a few guys who used Mobil one, i am not sure what the acutal label stated.

Want to be 09-17-2010 09:54 PM

Here is the Maxlife description. The Kendal brand really does not tell you its OK, but does say it works with other German cars.

MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF contains a blend of superior base oils and a unique additive package to help extend the life of transmissions with over 75,000 miles. It is formulated to maximize transmission performance, reduce transmission wear, and improve and maintain smooth shifting longer than conventional fluids. MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF is compatible with new and rebuilt transmissions and will not void new car warranties.

Recommended for use where DEXRON, DEXRON II, III and VI, Toyota T-IV and WS, MERCONŽ, MERCONŽ SP and LV, Allison TES 295 and 389, Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J and Matic-K, Honda Z-1 (except CVT), Mercedes NAG-1, Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III and many others are required.

supercedar 09-17-2010 09:59 PM

Thank you for the help. It does say it is for Porsche and Mercedes and meets the dextron 3.
Thomas

Want to be 09-17-2010 10:00 PM

great!

Mrmerlin 09-18-2010 09:54 AM

why not get the extended life Valvoline dextron?? ( it comes in a red container)
Its a fine ATF for the 928.
I have been using for a while and it seems to wok well.
Never tried the kendall though

supercedar 09-18-2010 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mrmerlin (Post 7905591)
why not get the extended life Valvoline dextron?? ( it comes in a red container)
Its a fine ATF for the 928.
I have been using for a while and it seems to wok well.
Never tried the kendall though

I was at my oil distributor today picking up my 20-50 kendall and thought I would try the trans ATF. This car has Always used the kendall GT-1 with no consumtion problems. My PO has used synth. in the trans all along but I don't know which type.
Thomas

Want to be 09-18-2010 10:30 AM

Yes i was very pleased with the red gallon jug of the Valvoline AFT fluid. The car seems to shift very good. I was concerned at first due to it being sooooooooo much cheaper than everything else i had seen.

Make sure when you are pumping in the new trans fluid you have your car running in neutral. It makes a big difference! I filled my car up to the minimum level and then drove the car around to see if the level raised past the min ta max level. It can be a messy job so put down some newspapers.

Be careful with both drain plugs, they can easily strip out and you will have to purchase a Mercedes plugs due to Porsche discontinuing the part. I really hate allen head screws! You might try PB blaster on each unit before trying to remove them.

good luck!